Muschamp

TexasTiger

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mullen and Freeze are going to be hot properties when this season is over. I don't think MSU and OM will be able to hold on to them, though they have both upgraded their facilities and expanded their stadiums.

Freeze is within an hour of where he grew up, the only way he leaves Oxford is in a pine box.

I don't think the UF powers will want to take a chance and have to wait for success with Mullen. They will go after a big name coach with a proven record. And no, one cinderella season does not constitute a proven record.

Agree 100%. Until this year, Mullen's record at MSU would have gotten him fired at places that have higher expectations. I don't think Florida will even glance in Mullen's direction.

MSU is one of the toughest places in the country to establish a winning program and y'all want to devalue Mullen because it took a couple of extra years to get there? Look at those guys. Solid lines on both sides of the ball, good RBs, receivers, LBs, DBs and the best QB in the country. I don't see any glaring weaknesses in that team. They are set up to win a lot of games the next few years if Mullen sticks around and he did that with very few top rated recruits. He simply developed the guys he was able to recruit. IMHO, he has done the best coaching job of anyone in the country. If Florida does not go after him they are nuts.

It's not devaluing Mullen because it took him several years to get there. It's devaluing Mullen because he's caught lightning in a bottle. It's a whopping ONE year of success and this ONE year isn't even over yet. He's done nothing long term to be an attractive hire to any upper program. Until he shows a track record for MAINTAINING that success, one year just isn't enough. At least it wouldn't be for me. If I were in charge of finding a new head coach for Florida, I wouldn't even look in Mullen's direction, much less talk to him. IF he's still at Miss. State next year when all those players leave, let's see what success he has then. I'm guessing his team next year will be just like its always been 7-5. 7-6 range.

Mullen and Freeze are going to be hot properties when this season is over. I don't think MSU and OM will be able to hold on to them, though they have both upgraded their facilities and expanded their stadiums.

Freeze is within an hour of where he grew up, the only way he leaves Oxford is in a pine box.

I don't think the UF powers will want to take a chance and have to wait for success with Mullen. They will go after a big name coach with a proven record. And no, one cinderella season does not constitute a proven record.

Agree 100%. Until this year, Mullen's record at MSU would have gotten him fired at places that have higher expectations. I don't think Florida will even glance in Mullen's direction.

MSU is one of the toughest places in the country to establish a winning program and y'all want to devalue Mullen because it took a couple of extra years to get there? Look at those guys. Solid lines on both sides of the ball, good RBs, receivers, LBs, DBs and the best QB in the country. I don't see any glaring weaknesses in that team. They are set up to win a lot of games the next few years if Mullen sticks around and he did that with very few top rated recruits. He simply developed the guys he was able to recruit. IMHO, he has done the best coaching job of anyone in the country. If Florida does not go after him they are nuts.

It's not devaluing Mullen because it took him several years to get there. It's devaluing Mullen because he's caught lightning in a bottle. It's a whopping ONE year of success and this ONE year isn't even over yet. He's done nothing long term to be an attractive hire to any upper program. Until he shows a track record for MAINTAINING that success, one year just isn't enough. At least it wouldn't be for me. If I were in charge of finding a new head coach for Florida, I wouldn't even look in Mullen's direction, much less talk to him. IF he's still at Miss. State next year when all those players leave, let's see what success he has then. I'm guessing his team next year will be just like its always been 7-5. 7-6 range.

He's shown more than any coordinator. The guy took over the worst program in the best division in sports.

He's shown more than any coordinator. The guy took over the worst program in the best division in sports.

Agree here. As for when to cut Muschamp...no point in doing it before the end of the year.....especially if they are looking at Mullen or any other currently employed coach.....since the earliest they can get a commitment would be early January......so just roll with the punches until then.

On the other hand...has the Hire Gruden website been fired up yet?

Agree.

All programs are not created equally, therefore the definition of success has a bell curve. They have been bowl eligible through most of his tenure. How often does that happen in Starkville? Not only is MSU typically underwhelming on the field, in comparison to other league members it's also one of the lowest revenue draws. Despite those inherent setbacks, Mullen's team is riding pretty high right now. If UF doesn't hire him, then I say Michigan will.

I tip my lid in respect.

Muschamp probably stays to the end of the year and gets fired then. Florida is terrible, but muschamp is not an off the field embarrassment and does not appear to have a break down in discipline on the team, yet. If that was not true, he'd be gone.

Muschamp probably stays to the end of the year and gets fired then. Florida is terrible, but muschamp is not an off the field embarrassment and does not appear to have a break down in discipline on the team, yet. If that was not true, he'd be gone.

Agree...he's basically a good guy who is in over his head. It is a huge step from Coordinator to HC of an SEC school without some HC experience somewhere.

He is going to end up like Chiz....a man without a country so to speak except he does not have anything major to look back on at UF.

Agree...he's basically a good guy who is in over his head. It is a huge step from Coordinator to HC of an SEC school without some HC experience somewhere.

He is going to end up like Chiz....a man without a country so to speak except he does not have anything major to look back on at UF.

Coach Chizik's arena of influence now is greater than it was when he was the coach of the Auburn Tigers. Can you see Muschamp doing anything similar, if he were to be terminated? I can't see the two in the same sentence except that they both coached football at Auburn for a season.

Coach Chizik's arena of influence now is greater than it was when he was the coach of the Auburn Tigers. Can you see Muschamp doing anything similar, if he were to be terminated? I can't see the two in the same sentence except that they both coached football at Auburn for a season.

....and were DCs at Texas....but yes, Chiz ,despite his issues here after the NC, is held in high regard by his peers because of his BCS championship...and I think also because of his poise and dignity in dealing with the media during their attack on AU and Cam.

the only way he leaves Oxford is in a pine box.

Was this joke intentional?? :roflol:/>

Has to be, and a good one at that. :)

I think there is still an unused pine box left over from Tuberville's days there.....

If not Mullen then who? There just aren't many alternatives out there.

Most in Gatorland despise all things Urban Meyer, and he created Mullen.

As for alternatives, the names surfacing to this point are Steve Spurrier, Art Briles, Bronco Mendenhall, Hugh Freeze, Rich Rodroguez, Brent Venables, et al.

And how can we forget, Chizik is a UF grad.

If not Mullen then who? There just aren't many alternatives out there.

Most in Gatorland despise all things Urban Meyer, and he created Mullen.

As for alternatives, the names surfacing to this point are Steve Spurrier, Art Briles, Bronco Mendenhall, Hugh Freeze, Rich Rodroguez, Brent Venables, et al.

And how can we forget, Chizik is a UF grad.

Where are these names surfacing?

Mendenhall sounds interesting. Briles I could see maybe. I hear people say UF fans don't care about Mullen but the question is what does Foley think? He is the one making the decision and he won't consult the fan base. I have a hard time seeing Spurrier going back. Harbaugh is an NFL guy. Only college he might go back to is Michigan and I wouldn't bet on that. I don't see them going the coordinator route this time around.

Saban to UF makes sense. No doubt Saban hates the Alabama fan base. How many times is he going to keep calling them out. He knows they can't be satisfied. He loves to rebuild teams. I personally think he retires and hits the broadcast circuit. He is on TV more than he has even been. When he interviews it's like he is practicing for that day he becomes the analyst.

I won't disagree with you completely, but a bit. This is a peak year for him. His team is senior heavy with players that have played in his system for years. You have to remember the last few years of that team getting better and better and challenging teams the whole season. This year his team is getting over the hump. MissSt is really not an easy school to do this with. Being number 1 for them is rarefied air.

Mullen has done an excellent job and the reason he may not do as well next year is more the product of available recruits rather than coaching talent. If Florida wants to get a good coach that runs a system the recruits there shoud fit into, Mullen is their man. He just needs a new QB and florida has needed that for a few years anyway.

If I was betting $$, I'd go with Mullen. Seems like the safe pick to me and more often than not these hires take the safe route.

Archived