Duke

aubie17

Anyone else notice that he almost always jumps to catch passes even when there is no need to do so? I don't see other receivers doing this. Is it an old habit of his? Seems that it is something NFL teams will want to work out of him.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for responding Stat. Sorry, my statement was not clear. I know receivers jump to catch the ball at the highest point. Go back and watch as he rarely stays on his feet when catching a pass---even one directly in his gut---see the one in the ole Miss game he caught when nick spun away from the lineman and then hit him wide open for 40 yards---no one around him pass in his midsection and he jumped... This is just one example from that game... Not wanting to make a big deal... Just something I noticed that he seems to do more than other receivers. Seems like a bad habit to me but I am no expert.

Thanks for responding Stat. Sorry, my statement was not clear. I know receivers jump to catch the ball at the highest point. Go back and watch as he rarely stays on his feet when catching a pass---even one directly in his gut---see the one in the ole Miss game he caught when nick spun away from the lineman and then hit him wide open for 40 yards---no one around him pass in his midsection and he jumped... This is just one example from that game... Not wanting to make a big deal... Just something I noticed that he seems to do more than other receivers. Seems like a bad habit to me but I am no expert.

With the way he catches almost anything in his general area, I'd say teach the rest of the receivers to do the same ;)

With the way he catches almost anything in his general area, I'd say teach the rest of the receivers to do the same ;)/>

great point

I'll try to fill you guys in, as I played a little "Y" in junior high. You see, by jumping in the air just before the ball hits your hands, you allow less deflecting force from the palms. The proper way to execute the jump catch is to jump with both feet, not just skipping off of one leg. It also helps if you yell "watah," like Bruce Lee when you jump. Do we have any film where Duke has been micced up?

It cushions the ball and it also shields him from any defender that may be around. In my opinion, it is smart. In a situation like last week in Oxford, his main goal was to catch that ball, not turn it up for more yards (which he did anyways). That was a possession type reception, not a clean route. He did the right thing by jumping to catch it. The first time he drops one because of that, then we can start to question it.

seeing as how he's used in this offense as a possession receiver and not a speed receiver, it's alright.

Watch how the OM receivers caught the ball...without breaking stride which is why they were beating our DBs after they caught the ball. Our WRs (other than on the long ones to Sammie) rarely make much yardage after the catch. Duke is plenty fast enough to run away from LBs if he catches the ball on the run...but as noted, he seems to have the "possession" receiver mentality and first thing is to make the catch ...which he is certainly good at.

seeing as how he's used in this offense as a possession receiver and not a speed receiver, it's alright.

Watch how the OM receivers caught the ball...without breaking stride which is why they were beating our DBs after they caught the ball. Our WRs (other than on the long ones to Sammie) rarely make much yardage after the catch. Duke is plenty fast enough to run away from LBs if he catches the ball on the run...but as noted, he seems to have the "possession" receiver mentality and first thing is to make the catch ...which he is certainly good at.

Well, you also have to consider how the routes are designed and how the ball is being thrown. Gus doesn't have a lot of crossing routes designed to hit a receiver in stride, never has. He's got a few down the sideline. And while Nick has had a higher completion percentage as of late, he still doesn't tend to hit guys in the numbers. Marcus Davis was wide open for his touchdown the other night, but he still had to make a hell of a catch to convert.

I believe much of it has to do with using his body to shield the defender.

635506336347140283-110114AuburnVsMississippi37.jpg

I'd have to go back and watch the video, but in this picture he may not have had to jump. He is putting himself in position where the DB can't reach over the top to deflect the pass.

It would be nice to see him catch one in stride and take it to the house but as long as he catches it that's good enough. This offense can move and score fine. Just keep catching the ball and making first downs and let the tempo get going.

Has Duke made a "mundane" catch yet? Seems like almost every catch he makes is crucial in one way or the other....or just spectacular!

He might be my favorite receiver since Tillman, Tillman, Tillman!!

I think I've only seen two catches he made in stride one he ran it a good bit before being caught behind and the other he dropped that I think he would have taken for a td.

Sammie is my favorite wr

I think I've only seen two catches he made in stride one he ran it a good bit before being caught behind and the other he dropped that I think he would have taken for a td.

Sammie is my favorite wr

No one would have ever guessed.

I love Sammie but I feel like he doesn't attack the ball like he should most of the time. He lets the ball come to him. On the long TD last week the defender almost batted it down but just missed. If Sammie goes after that ball it isn't even close. He did attack on the critical third down a little later. I feel like over all the past 3 years there have been some long balls that if he lays out for, he catches. He is electric to watch. I feel like this trait makes Duke exceptional though.

I love Sammie but I feel like he doesn't attack the ball like he should most of the time. He lets the ball come to him. On the long TD last week the defender almost batted it down but just missed. If Sammie goes after that ball it isn't even close. He did attack on the critical third down a little later. I feel like over all the past 3 years there have been some long balls that if he lays out for, he catches. He is electric to watch. I feel like this trait makes Duke exceptional though.

I agree.

Sammie is my favorite wr

I think that's blindingly obvious

Archived