Duke

aubie17

seeing as how he's used in this offense as a possession receiver and not a speed receiver, it's alright.

Watch how the OM receivers caught the ball...without breaking stride which is why they were beating our DBs after they caught the ball. Our WRs (other than on the long ones to Sammie) rarely make much yardage after the catch. Duke is plenty fast enough to run away from LBs if he catches the ball on the run...but as noted, he seems to have the "possession" receiver mentality and first thing is to make the catch ...which he is certainly good at.

Well, you also have to consider how the routes are designed and how the ball is being thrown. Gus doesn't have a lot of crossing routes designed to hit a receiver in stride, never has. He's got a few down the sideline. And while Nick has had a higher completion percentage as of late, he still doesn't tend to hit guys in the numbers. Marcus Davis was wide open for his touchdown the other night, but he still had to make a hell of a catch to convert.

Are you trying to say that Gus wants the receivers to be stationary when they make a catch? That seems a bit odd to me.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seeing as how he's used in this offense as a possession receiver and not a speed receiver, it's alright.

Watch how the OM receivers caught the ball...without breaking stride which is why they were beating our DBs after they caught the ball. Our WRs (other than on the long ones to Sammie) rarely make much yardage after the catch. Duke is plenty fast enough to run away from LBs if he catches the ball on the run...but as noted, he seems to have the "possession" receiver mentality and first thing is to make the catch ...which he is certainly good at.

Well, you also have to consider how the routes are designed and how the ball is being thrown. Gus doesn't have a lot of crossing routes designed to hit a receiver in stride, never has. He's got a few down the sideline. And while Nick has had a higher completion percentage as of late, he still doesn't tend to hit guys in the numbers. Marcus Davis was wide open for his touchdown the other night, but he still had to make a hell of a catch to convert.

Are you trying to say that Gus wants the receivers to be stationary when they make a catch? That seems a bit odd to me.

Gus knows how Marshall throws.... there's stride routes with Jeremy in and there's less so with Marshall in... it's not so much he doesn't want them to, it's just he knows what's gonna happen

Think it was arky game that JJ hit Duke in stride and Duke got caught from behind. JJ joked that duke was pretty slow...needs to lose some weight.

I think I've only seen two catches he made in stride one he ran it a good bit before being caught behind and the other he dropped that I think he would have taken for a td.

Sammie is my favorite wr

talkin about the one against arkansas?

In most cases, he is attempting to reach the ball at its highest point, which is difficult to defend.

I hate to nit-pick, but when a receiver jumps he's tying to catch the ball at his highest point, not its highest point.

Even when hurt Sammie brought something to the team nobody else could bring or at least nobody else was as good as him even on one leg and that was stretching the field. Even when he didn't make the catch the real win was him getting behind his man. Like I said earlier anybody else playing through an injury would get praise but it's been clear once Sammie healed he's a different player people should appreciate he was out there with one leg because he made CAP and Duke's job much easier still.

Also everyone has seen duke go for jump balls while sitting or coming back for balls nobody has really seen him lay out in stride and actually you've seen Sammie do the same thing on those type routes.

I think I've only seen two catches he made in stride one he ran it a good bit before being caught behind and the other he dropped that I think he would have taken for a td.

Sammie is my favorite wr

talkin about the one against arkansas?

Yeah the one he was ran down, the one he dropped was k state I believe

Sammie is my favorite wr

I think that's blindingly obvious

Your tendencies are obvious as well.....

In most cases, he is attempting to reach the ball at its highest point, which is difficult to defend.

I hate to nit-pick, but when a receiver jumps he's tying to catch the ball at his highest point, not its highest point.

unless you're Superman

Even when hurt Sammie brought something to the team nobody else could bring or at least nobody else was as good as him even on one leg and that was stretching the field. Even when he didn't make the catch the real win was him getting behind his man. Like I said earlier anybody else playing through an injury would get praise but it's been clear once Sammie healed he's a different player people should appreciate he was out there with one leg because he made CAP and Duke's job much easier still.

Also everyone has seen duke go for jump balls while sitting or coming back for balls nobody has really seen him lay out in stride and actually you've seen Sammie do the same thing on those type routes.

He has done that. I believe it was the LSU game where he fully dove and made the catch.

That wasn't a stride catch it was an over the shoulder catch I'm talking running full speed and laying out like people say they want Sammie to do.

When you say that everyone has seen Duke go for jump balls while sitting and nobody has really seen him lay out in stride, that just tells me that nobody (I won't speak for everyone) has been watching Auburn football this season. Duke tends to do whatever he needs to do to catch the ball whether or not it's thrown directly to him. To be fair, I don't think that usually involves laying out in stride, but that doesn't mean that he won't do it if it is necessary. Perhaps your idea of laying out in stride differs from nobody's? A certain catch in the LSU game comes to mind.

Edit: I see that mikeymac had the same thought.

Duke was in flight for nearly 5 yards... not trying to take anything away from the rest of our receivers, but most guys would've watched that "over the shoulder" ball sail right over there heads. I was even a little shocked when Duke managed to pull that one down.

When you say that everyone has seen Duke go for jump balls while sitting and nobody has really seen him lay out in stride, that just tells me that nobody (I won't speak for everyone) has been watching Auburn football this season. Duke tends to do whatever he needs to do to catch the ball whether or not it's thrown directly to him. To be fair, I don't think that usually involves laying out in stride, but that doesn't mean that he won't do it if it is necessary. Perhaps your idea of laying out in stride differs from nobody's? A certain catch in the LSU game comes to mind.

I didn't say he wouldn't try. I'm saying the same attempts he's made Sammie has as well (sort of boxing out and going up for the ball if you will) while the type of laying out people is calling for Sammie to do is more Sammie making a decision to keep running and run up under the ball

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11642371&startTime=00:03

Look at the video. I would say that is laying out for the ball.

And like I said duke is running a post route and it's an over the shoulder catch whereas with Sammie they are talking about him laying out diving running go routes

Also posters like you trip me out, there can hardly be a discussion whether two people agree or not on here.....it always has to be a guy trying to be a smart ass or whatever in a reply. If that is what you want please just ignore my post and keep it moving because I don't have time for the arrogance you display to be honest

Also posters like you trip me out, there can hardly be a discussion whether two people agree or not on here.....it always has to be a guy trying to be a smart ass or whatever in a reply. If that is what you want please just ignore my post and keep it moving because I don't have time for the arrogance you display to be honest

Sorry cole. To me, it seemed like you were trying to play down Duke's talent and discredit something that he has already done and that got me a little fired up. Maybe that was not your intent... Either way, just ready to see us beat TAMU now... hoping Sammie and Duke both have a great game today.

I wouldn't ever try to play down anybody on our team's talent. But I think Sammie is just as talented so if anything I'm saying respect him as well.

Most defenses play zone heavy against us because if the dbs/lbs turn their backs to the line of scrimmage we will take it to the house about 1 in 4 plays running the ball. With the opponents defense playing in a zone, our receivers get their opportunities by either going over the top of the defense (Sammie), Finding windows in the zone and settling into them over the middle (Duke), or on the bubble screens and wheel routes that attempt to out flanked the zone defense. Running slant routes is most effective against man to man because the receiver won't be going from open to covered every threes steps of his route when he enters the next defenders zone of coverage. This is why you don't see a lot of our passes being caught in stride over the middle and taken to the shed, and why our receivers are often stationary or going over the top when they make catches. So...yes it is by design.

Most defenses play zone heavy against us because if the dbs/lbs turn their backs to the line of scrimmage we will take it to the house about 1 in 4 plays running the ball. With the opponents defense playing in a zone, our receivers get their opportunities by either going over the top of the defense (Sammie), Finding windows in the zone and settling into them over the middle (Duke), or on the bubble screens and wheel routes that attempt to out flanked the zone defense. Running slant routes is most effective against man to man because the receiver won't be going from open to covered every threes steps of his route when he enters the next defenders zone of coverage. This is why you don't see a lot of our passes being caught in stride over the middle and taken to the shed, and why our receivers are often stationary or going over the top when they make catches. So...yes it is by design.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

Archived