Where to Go From Here

AUTigergrad08

So, I guess the obvious question is where does this team and program go from here? I've been following AU football for over 10 years and and I honestly can't fathom the idea or purpose this team seems to have. I could be wrong here, but tonight, I watched what appeared to be a game plan of slowing down the game and eating clock to keep the defense off the field and it backfired completely. Everything we do well, we abandon, and we get ultra conservative and it bites us with a loss every time. Tonight against UGA, I honestly felt for the first time Gus gave up on the defense. The message it appeared to send was, well, I'm not sure the defense can stop UGA's offense at all, so let's abandon what we do well on offense so we can eat clock and keep their offense off the field.

Why is the zone read completely abandoned now? Not to mention, I think Gus put Nick Marshall in opportunities to succeed last year and this year, he's really put Nick in bad positions and forcing him to do things he shouldn't be trying. Whether or not we have the players to run the Zone Read is one question, but the other major issue I see here is the insistence to throw the ball at the worst times. That's one of the biggest changes I see this year - insistency to throw the ball and scraping what was so good last year. Not saying run it 99% of the time, but this offense feels forced this year and it feel forced from day 1 when Gus and Lashlee put such an emphasis on the passing game. Last year, it gelled. And I think a big reason was the Zone read which was all but scraped.

I love AU as much or more than anyone, I spent 4 years getting my degree here and I hope one day if I have kids to send them there too. Frankly, if AU loses but plays their best, I can live with that obviously adjustments need to be made at that point to assess while the losses have occured. To me this is just inexcusable. I'm not going to call for anyone to be fired. But, I honestly feel, like at this point changes need to be made all over the place in this program.

What it appeared to me has happened with this team in no particular order:

No pride, hunger, or leadership

No urgency

No accountability

Lack of focus, lack of hard work and preparation

Complacency

Coaching that expects to show up and win

Players going through the motion

I could go on and so many of you can. As you can see many of these things have nothing to do with the other team. But, they have become real problems. Would we in the top 4 in the playoff poll if these weren't problems? I'm not sure. But, one thing is for certain, having these as problems, should never be an issue let alone an ongoing issue. The fact that they haven't been addressed is the most concerning part. Changes should be coming, but I pose the question.

What changes should be made? And can they be made prior to the Iron Bowl?

We are stuck with what we've got for now. Expect 8-4 regular season and some crappy bowl game. I would not expect any changes until next season. We are going to get obliterated by bama.

Defensive heads will have to roll at the end of the season.

I agree this offense looks different and you can see a lack of fire and intensity in the players. The O line looks like they are all true freshman. They are getting blown off the ball. It is very disappointing.

We don't seem to correct issues that we have. Same player getting beat (offensive tackle) and holding all the time. No twists and stunts on defense. I can tell when we blitz as well as everybody else no overload to defense. Half back runs through line and blocks nobody while his man makes tackle behind line. Same defensive back (corner back) gets abused by other team every game. Tacklers grabbing no shoulder into player, locking up issues again. See CHUBB runs.

I didn't read the op because it's the length of War and Peace, but I'd say we are going to the Music City Bowl, or maybe Shreveport...God forbid.

I didn't read the op because it's the length of War and Peace, but I'd say we are going to the Music City Bowl, or maybe Shreveport...God forbid.

Like you, (as you pointed out in another post), I would opt for Music City as it is much closer to me!

Wow. One bad game by the offense and everyone abandons ship. Watch out for sharks.

Like you, (as you pointed out in another post), I would opt for Music City as it is much closer to me!

Good times in Nashville, Shreveport not so much. :)

In other news, Miami just defended a slant

Maybe our D should take notes.

Maybe they can teach us how b/c I don't remember the last time we defended the slant well at all.

Trey Matthews comes in next year a five star sures up the secondary next year with Derrick Moncrief.Lambert moves to DT with Lawson back. Golson and Kozan at guards and Smith at LT make o line way better. Coates stays,maybe Duke w injury.we way better at QB with Johnson and White.Prob better at RB w Jovon Robinson and Roc. If Frost and McKinzy stay,very good depht at LB. H Back and DT depht a concern. Alot of highly rated redshirt fr in secondary replacing 3 stars. If Malzhan stops being predictable,very good 15,w new d coord.

Look to history. Not every season is gangbusters, but we wipe off the dust and keep going.

And pressure is off for the Iron Bowl, so maybe we throw caution to the wind like SCar did with us. Underdogs have pulled the upset more than once.

Archived