Who will Florida hire to replace Muschamp?

doc4aday

Brian Kelly I think would be a great fit at Florida, but I don't see Notre Dame letting him go. But, you never know. Surely they wouldn't go after Petrino..

Kelly will never win a MNC at Notre Dame, also I believe UF is looking from someone that isn't over the age of 50.

Kelly at ND, 8-5,8-5,12-1,9-4,7-4 (with a game against USCw coming so they might end 7-5. (tell me what is so stellar about his record at Notre Dame?)

Not sure what they have coming back but I see 4-6 loses for them next year

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the importance of a "splash" hire is a bit overrated. They should hire the best available candidate most well suited to what they are looking for, regardless of how well it is perceived. All of that hype becomes irrelevant as soon as the games start, then its only x's and o's. Gus wasn't considered a sexy hire for us, and many of the greats weren't either.

UF friend said today that Strong is the top candidate and $$ is no object.

no disrespect to your UF friend but he has no ideal what his talking about.

maybe...maybe not....just an opinion from a guy who has pretty good contacts at the school...but....

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/charlie-strong-comments-on-uf-job/

kind of a weak denial IMO.

Well I heard a story that Strong is not well liked and many at Texas would already want him gone. They are very disappointed in the performance of the team. Que the Saban to Texas rumors again...

^Really? Most analysts I've seen have been praising Strong for the job this year. As a Longhorns fan myself (second team, of course), I'm relatively pleased. Mack left a mess over there.

Hearing a lot of Gundy rumblings from my friends who are current UF students.

Most off the wall candidate I have heard was SF's Harbaugh. Brief mumblings about Spurrier's return were squashed too

What I had heard was that he was not ingratiating himself with the Bluebloods. People believed that UT's issues were coaching not talent and they would be better than a 6-5 team at this point. They have not been happy with him running off good talent.

I heard a story that Strong is not well liked and many at Texas would already want him gone. They are very disappointed in the performance of the team. Que the Saban to Texas rumors again...

I don't know what they expected. Mack Brown left the program in bad shape. He had a lot of work to do to get rid of the dead weight.

“@BstrawRadio: Per my source in Gainesville, Florida has offered Ole Miss HC Hugh Feeze the Gators job. Freeze is “weighing his options."”

“@BstrawRadio: Source in Oxford confirms, that Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze has been offered the Florida job.”

This guy is a talk show host on Houston's Sports Radio 610 for CBS-Houston. This will be very interesting if true.

I don't know who they will hire but reports I've seen say it won't be Mullen or Rich Rod.

I would think Mullen would be high on their wish list and that FL would be high on his wish list.

In fact, I'd think he'd leave Starkville for Gainsville in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't?

My question is where will Muschamp be next year. If a coach is willing to live on a 'paltry' $250k a year there are a lot of very nice small colleges around the country with low pressure jobs. In fact, the average head coach's pay at Alabama high schools is $90k. And that's not bad for someone working in a school system that can barely fund the academics. Mike dubose has done pretty good coaching in small AL high schools since being fired from bama.

Guest jojo1515

A reporter from Houston is reporting that the job has been offered to Hugh Freeze.

Multiple reports now including from Oxford. That would be perfect for AU

Edit: just saw that all the "sources" are being announced by one guy so take with a grain of salt

I don't know who they will hire but reports I've seen say it won't be Mullen or Rich Rod.

I would think Mullen would be high on their wish list and that FL would be high on his wish list.

In fact, I'd think he'd leave Starkville for Gainsville in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't?

My question is where will Muschamp be next year. If a coach is willing to live on a 'paltry' $250k a year there are a lot of very nice small colleges around the country with low pressure jobs. In fact, the average head coach's pay at Alabama high schools is $90k. And that's not bad for someone working in a school system that can barely fund the academics. Mike dubose has done pretty good coaching in small AL high schools since being fired from bama.

i don't know one way or the other but it's not as certain as most think it is. Muschamp will get his buyout money minus anything he makes at another job so he wouldn't be just on the salary of his new job, whatever it is. If he wants to remain as a head coach he'll have to take one of those jobs at a small college.

A reporter from Houston is reporting that the job has been offered to Hugh Freeze.

Multiple reports now including from Oxford. That would be perfect for AU

Edit: just saw that all the "sources" are being announced by one guy so take with a grain of salt

Sounds like MSU folks creating a distraction before the big game. Freeze doesn't seem like the type of guy to go about his business this way.

i don't know one way or the other but it's not as certain as most think it is. Muschamp will get his buyout money minus anything he makes at another job so he wouldn't be just on the salary of his new job, whatever it is. If he wants to remain as a head coach he'll have to take one of those jobs at a small college.

Has Troy hired anyone yet?

I heard Chad Morris has been offered $3M/year for the SMU job and hadn't made a decision yet because he wanted to see if Dabo would be offered the UF job. Per some AU beat Twitter accts. I guess this will help AU in some of those recruiting battles and also means Dabo most likely is NOT going to be going to UF, even though I doubt many people speculated that lol

Has Troy hired anyone yet?

They haven't made any official announcement but it appears the OC at UK will be the next coach.

It will be interesting to see where Boom lands, and who takes over for the Gators. The SEC is a tough place to work.

Maybe a "hard place to work"...but a much harder place to be successful.

JMO but WM will have some decent opportunities to look at. These days, like in major league baseball, it's not much of a career killer to be fired from a top job.

He learned a lot at UF that will be of benefit somewhere else. The thought that he will jump into a DC job somewhere is hard for me to accept. It might happen but generally, once a person has been the top guy...it's hard to go backwards over a career hiccup.

Have the Bammers started claiming that the reason Muschamp was fired was because of Nick Saban? It seems like whenever there's been some type of coaching change in the SEC that it's been because no one can keep up with Nick Saban.

Have the Bammers started claiming that the reason Muschamp was fired was because of Nick Saban? It seems like whenever there's been some type of coaching change in the SEC that it's been because no one can keep up with Nick Saban.

They won't mention this...gotta remember that all of them said he was hired because he was a Saban disciple so there is no way they can take credit for his firing too. Even that defies bama logic.

Archived