Mizzou vs Arky

HarpyTrain

If someone had told me at the start of the year one team from last year's SECCG would be back in ATL, I wouldn't have taken Mizzou!

They got it right. MIssouri's ball...1st and 10....Arkansas with 1 timeout. Great job Missouri..

Here's the interesting thing to me. If they had called it a fumble and Ark. recovery on the field, would the booth have overturned it? Not sure they would have.

Props to one of the other Tigers in conference. . . come to think of it, Tigers are 2-0 in conference play, our turn to make it 3-0 tomorrow!

Why was Arkansas not given their timeout back? It seems unfair for the refs to take advantage of their timeout to overturn the call and then not give them their timeout back.

Way to go Mizzou!! Screw thUGA!! This gives them a taste of their own medicine! How many times recently have they lost to USCe only to rib the division because the gamecocks lose because they played harder west teams??? Glad for the East tigers!!

Congrats Mizzou Now beat Miss St next week!!!

The refs were so inconsistent about reviewing things in this game. When Arkansas blocked Missouri's FG in the 3rd quarter they returned it for a TD but the refs blew the play dead for some reason even though nobody had recovered the ball yet. The kicked ball was blocked and bounced behind the line of scrimmage but was fumbled foward and Arkansas recovered and ran it for a TD but the refs didn't review that.

Is there a rule about a blocked FG being blown dead or something?

They got it right. MIssouri's ball...1st and 10....Arkansas with 1 timeout. Great job Missouri..

Here's the interesting thing to me. If they had called it a fumble and Ark. recovery on the field, would the booth have overturned it? Not sure they would have.

Huh? What would be the point of a review if Arky fumbled and recovered?

The refs were so inconsistent about reviewing things in this game. When Arkansas blocked Missouri's FG in the 3rd quarter they returned it for a TD but the refs blew the play dead for some reason even though nobody had recovered the ball yet. The kicked ball was blocked and bounced behind the line of scrimmage but was fumbled foward and Arkansas recovered and ran it for a TD but the refs didn't review that.

It was close but I believe they ruled it down in the pile and say it came out after the fact. Since it was blown dead it wasn't technically fumbled at all. On the flip side, Arkansas has a challenge so if Beliema thought it was a mistake he could have asked for a review. Here's the thing though. If they did review it and determine the whistle blew early its an inadvertent whistle. The ball returns to the previous spot and the down is replayed. Arkansas would not have gotten a touchdown nor would they have even gotten the ball.

b. If an official sounds his whistle inadvertently or otherwise signals the ball

dead during a down:.

3. During a legal forward pass or a free or scrimmage kick, then the ball is

returned to the previous spot and the down repeated.

It was close but I believe they ruled it down in the pile and say it came out after the fact. Since it was blown dead it wasn't technically fumbled at all. On the flip side, Arkansas has a challenge so if Beliema thought it was a mistake he could have asked for a review. Here's the thing though. If they did review it and determine the whistle blew early its an inadvertent whistle. The ball returns to the previous spot and the down is replayed. Arkansas would not have gotten a touchdown nor would they have even gotten the ball.

b. If an official sounds his whistle inadvertently or otherwise signals the ball

A similar thing happened during the Vandy-Tennessee game in 2011 except the refs ingonored their own whistle on a recovered fumble and let Tennessee win even after they reviewed it. I wonder if the was the same crew from that game in 2011?

A similar thing happened during the Vandy-Tennessee game in 2011 except the refs ingonored their own whistle on a recovered fumble let Tennessee win even after they reviewed it. I wonder if it was the same crew from that game in 2011?

Yep. They sure did. I broke that play down in the rules and interpretations thread in the first post I believe.

Archived