democrats set to release CIA "torture" report today

cooltigger21

AMA rebukes doctors for role in CIA 'torture'

By Elise Viebeck - 12/12/14 05:12 PM EST

The top medical group in the United States on Friday rebuked doctors involved in harshly interrogating terrorism suspects during the George W. Bush administration after a scathing Senate report detailed the practices this week.

The American Medical Association (AMA) said medical ethics prohibits doctors from participating in or being made to assist with practices the group termed "torture."

"The physician's most important role is that of healer, and that role is seriously compromised in situations of torture and coercive interrogation," said AMA President Robert M. Wah in a statement that was at turns critical and reflective.

"The AMA will continue to advocate that no doctor is asked to go against the ethics of the profession, to remind physicians of their ethical obligations, and to ensure that medical professionals are never involved in the abuse of detainees in U.S. custody."

The group waited several days to respond to the report, a sign of the depth of reckoning taking place within the medical profession over revelations that doctors were involved in brutally interrogating prisoners in the years following Sept. 11.

The Senate Intelligence Committee, which released its findings on Tuesday, condemned techniques such as waterboarding and "rectal feeding" used to compel information from prisoners.

At least five detainees were subjected to the second practice by the Central Intelligence Agency without documented medical need, the report stated. One prisoner suffered from an anal fissure, chronic hemorrhoids and symptomatic rectal prolapse as a result.

The report said two Spokane-based psychologists who helped develop the harsh interrogation program were paid more than $80 million for their work. http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/227005-ama-rebukes-doctors-for-role-in-cia-torture

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bush administration Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Friday that it appeared that the Central Intelligence Agency had overstepped Justice Department guidance offered by the agency on the use of harsh interrogation techniques.

“You know, we provided a guidance, and, you know, it was up to the CIA to comply with that guidance. As I started hearing about some of the items in the report, I became a little — I became troubled, because some of those things, some of what was being referenced appear beyond the guidance,” Gonzales said on NewsMaxTV’s “Steve Malzberg Show.

Gonzales was White House counsel when the Justice Department issued its memos on the CIA’s ability to use torture. He later became Attorney General.

He also said that the drone program — which President Obama has supported — was likely as damaging to America’s reputation abroad as waterboarding.

His comments were first reported by BuzzFeed News. They come days after Senate Democrats released the executive summary of a report detailing the CIA’s interrogation practices. The report’s authors found that the agency’s tactics had sometimes constituted torture and were more widespread than previously knownhttp://thehill.com/policy/defense/227030-bush-attorney-general-says-cia-overstepped-legal-guidance?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wow.....the wannabee admiral has spoken. let us all do as told.

If you don't have anything to contribute but ad hominem attacks, just don't post.

Easy...I've seen it both ways here. Buck up or lead by example. ;)

Buck up yourself and speak out when you see it.

Wow.....the wannabee admiral has spoken. let us all do as told.

If you don't have anything to contribute but ad hominem attacks, just don't post.

Easy...I've seen it both ways here. Buck up or lead by example. ;)/>

Buck up yourself and speak out when you see it.

I have many times....but the other party has to accept it or give a damn. Moving along.

Archived