democrats set to release CIA "torture" report today

cooltigger21

This was strictly a partisan report which is fine but it is a tad late if you're honest about it. Saxsby Chambliss summed it all up very succinctly when he said..Im paraphrasing - The report is about activities that were stopped 11 years ago that were done without any objection by the majority party at the time. The information has been available for 8 full years while the majority party has sat on it doing nothing but watching as the world burns.

Not only did everyone know, because they were briefed, but now the Dems act all indignant and horrified, while they are all on board w/ droning terrorists, and their friends and families or who ever happens to be in the vicinity, all w/ out any trial. Obama condemns people to death , from across the ocean, while vilifying those who tried to actually get intel out of captured jihadists, where those operations took months and years to set up.

Wow. That's as good of an example of selective cognitive dissonance I have ever seen.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big reason for this was payback for investigations into suspected leaks by democrat members and staffers of the Senate intelligence committee. Remember when Feinstein wnt off because of that. Anyone remember ole Patrick leaky Leahy? They kicked him off the committee because he couldn't keep the secrets that were shared with them as apart of their oversight role. We haven't had a successful major attack on this country since 9/11. That didn't happen by accident Our intelligence community has worked tirelessly to get the information to prevent this. They didn't get this information by being choirboys. They can never reveal to the public how they foiled these plots.

If security means undermining our civil liberties and stated principles, is it worth it?

yes

I am curious. What is it you would protect that is more important than your principles and very liberty?

The big reason for this was payback for investigations into suspected leaks by democrat members and staffers of the Senate intelligence committee. Remember when Feinstein wnt off because of that. Anyone remember ole Patrick leaky Leahy? They kicked him off the committee because he couldn't keep the secrets that were shared with them as apart of their oversight role. We haven't had a successful major attack on this country since 9/11. That didn't happen by accident Our intelligence community has worked tirelessly to get the information to prevent this. They didn't get this information by being choirboys. They can never reveal to the public how they foiled these plots.

If security means undermining our civil liberties and stated principles, is it worth it?

Again....what are our current principals? These people don't believe in principals anymore.

Who are these people?

The ones in control and continue to be in control.......and a large portion of society who could care less.

yes

I am curious. What is it you would protect that is more important than your principles and very liberty?

my ass, your ass, our asses. my principles and liberties were not undermined. the terrorist's were. these guys were not "suspects" they were very bad people. they wanted to do very bad things to us all in the name of their God. they don't play by any rules. they use our "liberties and principles" to gain access to kill us. Did it work? I don't know, but i would be more disappointed if we didnt try it. We would all be better off NOT to know the interrogation techniques used by the CIA. I feel the same about this as i do the collection of Meta-data or communications records. It does not affect lawful individuals we don't even need to know it. I don't blame either administration for protecting my ass.

Shame I missed the boat. One of my degrees is in psychology and I've been labeled disturbed. I could had a $180 million dollar contract on how to physically and mentally **** up a human being.

Course I am more worried that we had to hire someone to teach us how to torture for 180 million. I kinda expect the CIA to already know how to do that and be the teachers, not the pupils.

A year later the contract was worth $180 million, although the contractors had been paid only $81 million by the time it was terminated in 2009.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11283967/CIA-paid-psychologists-80m-to-devise-and-use-torture-techniques.html

yes

my ass, your ass, our asses. my principles and liberties were not undermined. the terrorist's were. these guys were not "suspects" they were very bad people. they wanted to do very bad things to us all in the name of their God. they don't play by any rules. they use our "liberties and principles" to gain access to kill us. Did it work? I don't know, but i would be more disappointed if we didnt try it. We would all be better off NOT to know the interrogation techniques used by the CIA. I feel the same about this as i do the collection of Meta-data or communications records. It does not affect lawful individuals we don't even need to know it. I don't blame either administration for protecting my ass.

First, I highlighted the part you need to think about a little more.

But to the point, I don't see any reason above to turn my freedom over to an all-powerful government. I guess I am just a "give me liberty or give me death" type of guy. Or maybe I just consider my freedom more important than "my ass".

If you had your way, the terrorists could claim complete victory.

We do realize this report is one sided...correct? I'm not sure I'd give it 100% on the trustworthy scale. I'll accept it as information....

Every member of the Senate Subcommittee on Intelligence is a Democrat?

Isn't that the same subcommittee the ignored eyewitness first hand testimony of "boots on the ground" that rescued personnel in Benghazi?

Homer that report was done entirely by the democrats with maybe one senile John McCain going along with it. Just for gits and shiggles here is the minority report.I know you won't believe it since you want to believe that we did torture those people and got nothing out of it. http://freebeacon.com/national-security/minority-report-cia-saves-lives/

What this comes down to is this. The liberal Democrats made this report and released it to do two things. One was to score some political points and take some measure of revenge against those that had "spied" on them. Second and more critical is the wish and desire to undermine our intelligence and weaken our position with allies against groups like Isis. These people loathe the CIA and the military and will take any chance to undermine them. The don't like this country and believe we're the bad guys. That's where this idea of empathy for our enemies comes from. It is all our fault for being arrogant and imposing freedom on the rest of the world. We are no better than these groups we're fighting against. In fact they are the victim of our aggression.

The issue isn't the report. It's what we did. Were you were the kind of kid who never felt bad about what he did, only angry that someone told?

Homer that report was done entirely by the democrats with maybe one senile John McCain going along with it. Just for gits and shiggles here is the minority report.I know you won't believe it since you want to believe that we did torture those people and got nothing out of it. http://freebeacon.co...ia-saves-lives/

Errrr, that's not the minority report. It's a link to a right wing site making an argument against the report. (And I am hardly surprised the people most guilty of these activities would proclaim it was justified.)

But one analysis deserves another:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/08/world/does-torture-work-the-cias-claims-and-what-the-committee-found.html

yes

So much for land of the free, home of the brave. My spirit is just too afraid. I don't care what the cost is. I want to feel secure.

yes

So much for land of the free, home of the brave. My spirit is just too afraid. I don't care what the cost is. I want to feel secure.

i hope you do.

yes

It would be nice to be the land of the free and home of the brave.....but the brave were driven out by the white man. LOL Seriously...as someone who believes in liberty and a free and open society I also know that there will be instances where the nation has to do things behind closed doors to protect sourcing of vital, national security information. Like I stated before, we have used intel gathering since 1775. How information was obtained isn't always certain so it's possible that we have used "whatever means available" to obtain information over the years. Once again, I'm not advocating "torture", but I am advocating a better understanding of this enemy we face.

yes

It would be nice to be the land of the free and home of the brave.....but the brave were driven out by the white man. LOL Seriously...as someone who believes in liberty and a free and open society I also know that there will be instances where the nation has to do things behind closed doors to protect sourcing of vital, national security information. Like I stated before, we have used intel gathering since 1775. How information was obtained isn't always certain so it's possible that we have used "whatever means available" to obtain information over the years. Once again, I'm not advocating "torture", but I am advocating a better understanding of this enemy we face.

Well said.

yes

You're way ahead of me. I'm still trying to figure out who the enemy is.

This report is going to haunt Feinstein, the WH and a lot of Dems for a long time. Lots of folks in the know coming forward to debunk many of the claims in the book., including Obama's own CIA Director Brennan.

http://www.foxnews.c...tcmp=latestnews

t's pretty bad when your own CIA Director and SECDEF disagree with you about key things My hat is off to Brennan and Hagel for not blindly saluting an incompetent CIC.

This report is going to haunt Feinstein, the WH and a lot of Dems for a long time. Lots of folks in the know coming forward to debunk many of the claims in the book., including Obama's own CIA Director Brennan.

http://www.foxnews.c...tcmp=latestnews

t's pretty bad when your own CIA Director and SEDEF disagree with you about key things My hat is off to Brennan and Hagel for not blindly saluting an incompetent CIC.

You couldn't be more wrong. It was a courageous act that demonstrates to the rest of the world we have a government that is willing to admit mistakes when they make them.

There are very few countries that can say that.

It really boils down to two choices. It's not rocket science.

"Like all of us, I've had to spend the past several days listening to a procession of stony-faced men—some of them defiant, others obviously nervous—grimly trying to defend the indefensible, and I'm not sure how much more I can take. How hard is this, after all? Following 9/11, we created an extensive and cold-blooded program designed to inflict severe pain on prisoners in order to break them and get them to talk. That's torture. It always has been, and even a ten-year-old recognizes that legalistic rationalizations about enemy combatants, "serious" physical injury, and organ failure are transparent sophistry. Of course we inflicted severe pain. Moderate pain would hardly induce anyone to talk, would it? And taking care not to leave permanent marks doesn't mean it's not torture, it just means you're trying to make sure you don't get caught.

Christ almighty. Either you think that state-sanctioned torture of prisoners is beyond the pale for a civilized country or you don't. No cavils. No resorts to textual parsing. And no exceptions for "we were scared." This isn't a gray area. You can choose to stand with history's torturers or you can choose to stand with human decency. Pick a side."

Archived