Bill Maher Calls Out Rush Limbaugh Boycotters

DKW 86

Heck, if the popular vote process is too complicated, let's anoint a "style" Czar with the power to enforce some basic rules of debate, if not decorum. After all this forum is not a democracy. I nominate Titan for the role.

If someone has a problem with the way anyone else is trolling or otherwise posting in bad faith, appeal to Titan (by PM?) for intervention in whatever way he sees fit - maybe with just an initial warning.

I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion on Titan. But this could mean more work for him on the moderating side if this were to happen, so have no idea if it's a viable solution in that respect, but would certainly be one I would get behind.

Not necessarily. He could rely on reported posts or pm's. He wouldn't necessarily have to find examples of specious posts personally.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Doesn't work in your case".....Nice "smarmy" (again, being kind) come back that was not required. Are the instructions not clear enough or are you simply a glutton for punishment? :-\/>

Not being smarmy. I quite simply can not put you on ignore. You are a mod. Mods can not be put on the ignore list.

Remember? I've explained this in the past.

Maybe we can fix that. Somehow, homer would still continue with the constant attacks.

"Doesn't work in your case".....Nice "smarmy" (again, being kind) come back that was not required. Are the instructions not clear enough or are you simply a glutton for punishment? :-\/>

Not being smarmy. I quite simply can not put you on ignore. You are a mod. Mods can not be put on the ignore list.

I still don't get how he can be a "moderator". It's an oxymoron, with the emphasis on the second syllable. ;D/>

Yet again with the name calling?

Couldn't resist the play on "oxymoron". Pretty weak, but it was still an excuse to inject a little humor. I don't mind people taking a shot at me if there's some wit behind it. I can appreciate wit.

Regardless, I am willing to compare my record for with yours any day. Like it or not, you have established a reputation.

Maybe we can fix that. Somehow, homer would still continue with the constant attacks.

:dunno:

I've simply resigned myself to it at this point.

I would characterize them as reactions. I rarely take an unprovoked shot at anyone. (The oxymoron crack being an obvious exception.)

But like I said, I am willing to compare our records. Thankfully, this being a written forum, it's possible to do that.

Boycotts and threats of boycotts have been used by all sides of the political spectrum for years, probably centuries, whether it's conservatives boycotting CBS and "Murphy Brown" because of the show's unwed mother story line or liberals boycotting Rush. One side wanted to boycott the Dixie Chicks, the other side wanted to boycott the musicians who criticized the Dixie Chicks.

I don't see it as "stifling free speech". My view is rather: "Say whatever you want, but don't expect me to pay for it.". Rush can say whatever he wants, but I don't have to pay for his microphone, nor does anyone else that finds him ridiculous or offensive. By the same token, no one has to support Al Sharpton's or Jon Stewart's TV shows via their sponsors if they don't care to. But free speech means we all have the right to suggest the same actions to our friends.

{As a practical matter, I've never actually boycotted a sponsor because quite frankly I don't pay enough attention to advertising to even notice who sponsors whom! :gofig: )

Boycotts and threats of boycotts have been used by all sides of the political spectrum for years, probably centuries, whether it's conservatives boycotting CBS and "Murphy Brown" because of the shows unwed mother story line or liberals boycotting Rush. One side wanted to boycott the Dixie Chicks, the other side wanted to boycott the musicians who criticized the Dixie Chicks.

I don't see it as "stifling free speech". My view is rather: "Say whatever you want, but don't expect me to pay for it.". Rush can say whatever he wants, but I don't have to pay for his microphone, nor does anyone else that finds him ridiculous or offensive. By the same token, no one has to support Al Sharpton's or Jon Stewart's TV shows via their sponsors if they don't care to. But free speech means we all have the right suggest the same actions to our friends.

{As a practical matter, I've never actually boycotted a sponsor because quite frankly I don't pay enough attention to advertising to even notice who sponsors whom! :gofig: )

This thread has veered so far off topic that this post (while excellent) looks alien to me.

It's an oxymoron, with the emphasis on the second syllable. ;D

Emphasis on the "y"? ox-'Y'-mo-ron? ...Interesting pronunciation. :poke::big:

Hah! You got me! I made a mistake. :blink::o

(See folks, it's not all that hard. ;) )

So, that makes one. :whistle:

Ben - please stop trolling.

:rolleyes:

I expect better. Shame on me. Ready to withdraw your assertion that "none of these are true" yet?

I'll stand by my original claim that 90% are false or taken completely out of context.

Happy ?

And I'm glad I didn't go w/ my initial idea of comparing myself to Jesus. Might have been a bit too much, for some. Galileo is more appropriate.

I'll stand by my original claim that 90% are false or taken completely out of context.

That wasn't your original claim. The "Rush did none of those things." in post number 125 holds that distinction. The 90% number popped up in post 154.

Happy?

Yes. I'm glad you conceded the point. It shows maturity on your part.

And I'm glad I didn't go w/ my initial idea of comparing myself to Jesus. Might have been a bit too much, for some. Galileo is more appropriate.

"I'll be out on the veranda, since you're already on the cross"

-Brian Griffin

:big:

Gee, after 32 pages, mixing up post # 125 and # 154 ... what in the world was I thinking ???

<_<

Gee, after 32 pages, mixing up post # 125 and # 154 ... what in the world was I thinking ???

<_<

"bigbens42: Keeping people honest since 1985"

Boycotts and threats of boycotts have been used by all sides of the political spectrum for years, probably centuries, whether it's conservatives boycotting CBS and "Murphy Brown" because of the shows unwed mother story line or liberals boycotting Rush. One side wanted to boycott the Dixie Chicks, the other side wanted to boycott the musicians who criticized the Dixie Chicks.

I don't see it as "stifling free speech". My view is rather: "Say whatever you want, but don't expect me to pay for it.". Rush can say whatever he wants, but I don't have to pay for his microphone, nor does anyone else that finds him ridiculous or offensive. By the same token, no one has to support Al Sharpton's or Jon Stewart's TV shows via their sponsors if they don't care to. But free speech means we all have the right suggest the same actions to our friends.

{As a practical matter, I've never actually boycotted a sponsor because quite frankly I don't pay enough attention to advertising to even notice who sponsors whom! :gofig:/> )

spot on.

Another Goose Island please? :popcorn:

Victory Golden Monkey. It's OK, but even I've had better tripels, given my limited experience.

It's an oxymoron, with the emphasis on the second syllable. ;D/>

Emphasis on the "y"? ox-'Y'-mo-ron? ...Interesting pronunciation. :poke:/> :big:/>

Hah! You got me! I made a mistake. :blink:/> :o/>

(See folks, it's not all that hard. ;)/> )

So, that makes one. :whistle:/>

1 or 10000....Who's counting? :-)

Emphasis on the "y"? ox-'Y'-mo-ron? ...Interesting pronunciation. :poke:/> :big:/>

Certainly not me. That's your job. <_<

(Just provide the quotes when you list them.)

Certainly not me. That's your job. <_</>

Why would I? That would constitute you stumbling across the Truth. And I would not want to be responsible for your broken hip. : - )

Why would I? That would constitute you stumbling across the Truth. And I would not want to be responsible for your broken hip. : - )

Well in that case, you are full of .......

That's was absolutely, without a shred of doubt, the first mistake I have made on this forum.

That's was absolutely, without a shred of doubt, the first mistake I have made on this forum.

Lighten up Francis...it was a joke. (I have no problem if you wish to claim perfection)...

Lighten up Francis...it was a joke. (I have no problem if you wish to claim perfection)...

Well it's true.

Well it's true.

good for you. Have a GREAT evening.

Archived