Disappointing performance

Mikey

We got out worked and out hustled for the first 30 minutes of a 40 minute game by MSU. This team isn't good enough to take a ho-hum attitude onto the court and still win.

Here's hoping this loss serves as a lesson because there's nothing else positive about it.

Chemistry.... Maybe they'll get some on offense before the end of the year....until then, we will be lucky to win any game we play as it is apparent that the wheels can come off for this team any time any where and nobody cares until there is 5 minutes left in the game and it looks like we are going to lose. For a team that fights as hard as these guys do at times, there sure is a lot of give up or just don't care enough...very Jekyll and Hyde

We just don't have any good shooters...some pretty good scorers but sometimes that's not good enough if the other team is shooting pretty well.

MSU has their best shooting game of the season and IMO really helped AU by continuing to press the action late in the game with quick shots and their own spate of turnovers and bad play at a time when they should have melted the clock...but to their credit, they hit their foul shots when they needed them.

The crowd seemed really into when the lead was cut down to 5 with about 2 minutes left. That was awesome to see. But they just kept hitting big shots.

As far as good shots go...at what point does Pearl hold the players accountable for taking bad shots? It's really a pet peeve of mine to continuously see bad shots taken. It's not hard to play smart, fellas. If you're not open, don't shoot it.

We don't get good shots, and when we do get an open look we don't knock it down.

Our scheme seems ineffective. I hope next year the offensive coaching catches up with the defensive coaching. BP had limited time and it appears he focused on defense (smart plan actually). A good D allows time for a good O to develop. I think we were just hoping for more consistent offensive improvement. Maybe next year. I see a very very small chance this year that we make the NIT with this offense. Need a couple ringers on the perimeter

You guys nailed it. Our offense is predicated on ball-screens for our shooters. It's frustrating to watch us struggle to get a clean shot off and not even making the defense work. I see a lot of issues with the scheme.

1) Screens : Screeners are not setting screens, they're just running to a spot while the person getting the screen makes no effort to actually use the screen and run his defender into the screen.

2) Rebounders: If you are going to run a scheme based on jump shots, you have to have rebounders. 1/2 the time, all 5 guys are beyond 3-point line when a shot goes up.

3) Ball handlers: We need a Doc Robinson who can break a press and distribute the ball without the turnovers.

We will need to pull one out that we should lose now. Would be great to make up for this one and I think thats very possible. Gotta keep on trucking.

I knew this year was going to be a lot of ups and downs. Probably more downs that ups and this game was one of them. I still think we will beat someone we shouldn't before the end of the season.

Don't expect much from Men's team but they play hard. Have to give Bruce time, we'll get there. The Women? not so much. She's been there a while. Past teams ALWAYS blow out the tide. Time to find a women's Bruce Pearl!

While not happy with our performance I was impressed by the fact that even though we shot poorly and got way behind we didn't quit and near the end we almost caught them. That shows heart. As many have said on the whole D looks good but O is very inconsistent. We rely on 3point shot because we really don't have a consistent inside game. Bowers is strong but because other teams know he is the only inside game they are able to double and take him out of the game for stretches. We live and die by the three often with defenders near our 3 point shooters.

The quality of the play is better than last year and players who were on last years team are better than last year so Pearl is making a positive impact but as many have said it will take time as we will be bringing in better rated players and the players who will still be here next year will be better after working with Pearl for a year..

One thing based on RPI all the SEC teams are playing tougher competition this year and apparently the SEC is stronger from top to bottom this year then in recent years. As long as we stay competitive this year and keep playing hard and getting better I will be happy year even if we don't make the NCAA post season or the NIT.

Well that game sucked. No way Auburn should have let uat back in the damn game and end up beating us when we were by 9 to mins left to play.

We could easily be 15-4 right now. Bruce has to teach these guys how to win. It's always sickening to lose to UAT, but getting beat by a bad Miss St team at home was a much worse loss. I think we had a great defensive performance tonight, but we just have to learn how to make free throws, box out on rebounds, and finish games.

Archived