Saban Leaves

PChamp119

I don't see how it hurts the SEC. The SEC will continue to be strong. If the departures of Shug, Neyland, the Bahr, Dooley, Spurrier, etc. didn't hurt us, I don't think Nick leaving will be a big deal...I think we can all agree Saban was the low man on the totem pole out of all those coaches I listed. Oh, plus Spurrier's back, so I guess it balances out.

***Semi-Off Topic Meandering Rant Coming***

BTW, I have a theory I posted on another board: Saban is a good coach and good recruiter, no doubt, but you know who's actually responsible for LSU's recent run of success?....Matt Mauck. The only thing noteworthy they've done in Saban's tenure without Mauck was win the West in 2001 (and it wasn't even outright). Mauck won them the SECCG in 2001, then what happened when he got hurt in 2002? Disaster. 2003, he stays healthy, and they win a NC (not to take anything away from that defense, which was the best this conference had seen since Bama '92, but not as good as ours this year.)

"But wait!" you say," They wen't 9-2 this year, rattling off 6 straight wins to close the season!" Yes, but lest we forget they should have lost to Florida, who was a very inconsistent team, and they had to pull games out of the fire against Troy, Oregon State, Ole Miss, and Alabama, all at home. Not to mention the pummeling they took at the hands of the Dawgs. I'm not trying to belittle LSU, or what they've done...but what if maybe, just maybe, Magic Mauck was their flash-in-the-pan, and it's over?

So I ask you, if they had in fact gone 4-7 this year (worst case scenario), would they still be so distraught over losing Nick? Maybe it's the loss of their beloved dentist QB they should be lamenting. It's a bit of a crackpot theory, I know, but it's something to keep in the back of your mind when the media starts yapping about what a great coaching gig LSU is and how they'll win the West next year. Don't believe the hype.

Archived