windows xp sp2

TitanTiger

my in-laws apparently never upgraded to sp2. i thought i had read that some of the changes were giving people fits. i normally do updates for them but dont want to leave them with problems they wont be able to fix. some insight? are the bugs worked out?

It shouldn't be a problem Titan. I read where you're more likely to have problems if you don't upgrade because of certain security holes. Application specific problems are minimal by now I'd think.

I've installed it on 10+computers, all with drastically different hardware and software and have had zero proplems. I'd say you're good to go.

Well, I upgraded last night and it appears that everything is in good shape. Nice that IE finally got popup blockers and better cookie handling. Firefox still seems snappier, at least on this machine. I'll have to play more with it. Thanks for the advice.

SP2 is actually a really good thing. A lot of people are scared of the automatic updates, but the firewall does an excellent job.

There is a way to slipstream SP2 into a CD so you dont have to download it everytime you do a new install or an update...but I havent tried it yet.

Also, youll probably want to tell it that youll monitor virus protection yourself...just so that thing in your system tray will leave you alone...just click on reccomendations in the popup that it gives you and tell it youll do it yourself.

BG, you did hit on one good point. I've only had it recognize I had NAV instaled once. Not really a problem, just tell it you'll monitor it yourself and it's good to go.

There are two versions of sp2 the first one aran really slow. THe second one slowed my box a bit much for me but I still use it.

Archived