McDonalds orders 7,000 Order Taking Kiosks

autigeremt

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we all knew this was coming. Automation is coming to all kinds of businesses. I use the self checkouts at nearly every store I go to unless it's something I really need a cashier for.

I bet some people will soon wish they hadn't protested so vigorously against McDonalds.

$15/hour doesn't do you much good on the unemployment line. It's great for the people that get it but it locks other people out of the job market that could use that starter job to learn working skills.

I bet some people will soon wish they hadn't protested so vigorously against McDonalds.

These kiosks were coming even if they bowed and offered sacrifices to the CEO of McDonald's in abject gratitude for $7.25 an hour.

These kiosks were coming even if they bowed and offered sacrifices to the CEO of McDonald's in abject gratitude for $7.25 an hour.

How about if they had bowed, offered sacrifices and, agreed to work for 3.85/hour and one free meal per day?

You do realize that most of McDonalds are owned by franchisees. I know the ones that own the local ones. The Obamacare mandates and all the other stuff that they have to do doesn't leave them a huge profit margin. None of the hourly people can work more than 30 hours in a week, whereas before some did get 40 hours. These are starter jobs where you learn job skills that you use to get a better job. They are not there to stay in for life and support a family on.

How about if they had bowed, offered sacrifices and, agreed to work for 3.85/hour and one free meal per day?

I bet if they had said, we're poor uneducated heathens.

Please work us in the fields for free, but give us clothes and food and shelter, and "education", McDonald's might not have bought the kiosks.

You do realize that most of McDonalds are owned by franchisees. I know the ones that own the local ones. The Obamacare mandates and all the other stuff that they have to do doesn't leave them a huge profit margin. None of the hourly people can work more than 30 hours in a week, whereas before some did get 40 hours. These are starter jobs where you learn job skills that you use to get a better job. They are not there to stay in for life and support a family on.

Papa Johns CEO just a couple of years ago admitted that to cover the "burdensome" mandate of Obamacare - to cover all his employees - it would mean he'd have to almost double the price of every pizza they sell to cover the costs.

Wait, no that's not right...it was 14 cents per pizza. Fourteen lousy cents per pizza to be able to give his workers decent healthcare coverage. I think 99% of people would be more than happy to pony up 14 extra cents if it meant workers there could have healthcare coverage.

But that's a side issue. The bottom line is just as I said: It doesn't really matter if the McD's were owned by trained howler monkeys. The kiosks were coming and have been mentioned for years, before these $15/hr protests ever really got going. They were happening no matter what.

Can someone please explain the logic of all the people who got butthurt over them asking for 15/hr?

I saw multiple posts across different social/media and of course the one dumba** girl who compared them to military pay... that seemed to float around for months.

Why are people so pissed that others try to improve their pay?

McDonalds has been losing money for months.

If they think dumping humans for kiosk is the answer I think they are going to be sadly mistaken. I could be wrong.

Ever stood there at the self checkout and watched people stumble through them and take forever. Apply that to ordering food now.

I bet if they had said, we're poor uneducated heathens.

Please work us in the fields for free, but give us clothes and food and shelter, and "education", McDonald's might not have bought the kiosks.

I think you are on to something but, at the same time, I think you are wrong. Clothing, food, shelter, and education would cost much more than 3.85/hour and one "free" meal per day.

So, the answer would have been, NO. You may not be a slave under those conditions. No education, no healthcare, no shelter, 75% off the cost of your uniform is our counter-offer. What the heck, we will throw in the uniforms but, you have to return them when you die.

Original headline read confusing...

This cleared it up

McDonald's hires 7,000 touch-screen cashiers

If they think dumping humans for kiosk is the answer I think they are going to be sadly mistaken. I could be wrong.

Ever stood there at the self checkout and watched people stumble through them and take forever. Apply that to ordering food now.

I know what you mean about using kiosk instead of humans but if you ever get in an area that has a Wawa check it out. All food is ordered on a Kiosk mostly subs. They are taking over the sub business in central Fl. Its actually very efficient.

Can someone please explain the logic of all the people who got butthurt over them asking for 15/hr?

I saw multiple posts across different social/media and of course the one dumba** girl who compared them to military pay... that seemed to float around for months.

I would say it stems from the value society as a whole places on certain jobs. Most people wouldn't consider flipping burgers to be worthy of $15/hr, particularly when contrasted against many other jobs that get paid less than that but require much more knowledge and skill.

No one is really mad that others are trying to improve their pay. People are upset because others are trying to improve their pay without doing anything to earn more money, other than say "we need more". The people speaking out against this, myself included, will say that working at McDonald's as a cook is not and should not be considered a career and is certainly not worthy of $15/hour. Artificially raising wages to such a high standard does not actually help anyone. It does one of two things: raise prices on other goods such as food, clothing, etc or causes businesses to close. This is already showing itself to be true in Seattle, where the city passed a mandatory $15 minimum wage. Small businesses and local restaurants are closing down because the costs of doing business are now too high.

15 trillion dollar GDP. Manufacturing jobs are in China, so let's just bitc. and moan about raising wages to $15 an hour because fat a$$ Joe needs to order from the dollar menu.

Nation’s Restaurant News published a survey this month rating 111 limited-service chains on 10 attributes including food quality, and McDonald’s was ranked No. 110, ahead only of Chuck E. Cheese.

https://fortune.com/2015/04/22/mcdonalds-restaurants-closing/

The Clown is going down. These kiosks are all about their concept of trying to be more progressive and modern, they are even trying to add McDelivery now. I was looking at some studies on these. Kiosks can cause individuals to actually spend more during their order, but there is a significant reduction in overall satisfaction that can occur also. McDonalds is already struggling with satisfaction issues at the moment.

Sad really, I can cook up 4 loaded quality meat burgers (I like turkey) I bet for the cost and half the time I bet it would take to get one McDelivery Big Mac.

I know what you mean about using kiosk instead of humans but if you ever get in an area that has a Wawa check it out. All food is ordered on a Kiosk mostly subs. They are taking over the sub business in central Fl. Its actually very efficient.

Tried to find a Youtube video of one, surprisingly the only one was just a short one of the kiosk itself. Was hoping to find one of the full transaction and lines.

I would say it stems from the value society as a whole places on certain jobs. Most people wouldn't consider flipping burgers to be worthy of $15/hr, particularly when contrasted against many other jobs that get paid less than that but require much more knowledge and skill.

No one is really mad that others are trying to improve their pay. People are upset because others are trying to improve their pay without doing anything to earn more money, other than say "we need more". The people speaking out against this, myself included, will say that working at McDonald's as a cook is not and should not be considered a career and is certainly not worthy of $15/hour. Artificially raising wages to such a high standard does not actually help anyone. It does one of two things: raise prices on other goods such as food, clothing, etc or causes businesses to close. This is already showing itself to be true in Seattle, where the city passed a mandatory $15 minimum wage. Small businesses and local restaurants are closing down because the costs of doing business are now too high.

Just so we're clear, let's run some figures here. If a McD's worker got $15 an hour and worked full time...we'll say they work on average 37 hours a week (35-40 hrs/wk is typical in this industry for full timers). The worker is making $28,860 a year.

Which jobs out there get paid less but require MUCH more knowledge and skill? Auto mechanics have a median salary of about $36,000. The highest earners make $61,000 or so and the entry-level folks make about $20,000 or so. The entry level guy might make less, but he's the guy that may change your oil and sweep and clean up around the garage, which I can assure you takes about as much skill and knowledge as learning to tie one's shoes. Plus, he won't stick around for long if Hardee's is paying $8000 a year more for full timers.

For the record, I have worked in food service and at Express Oil change. Working the pit at EOC requires much more skill and knowledge than any job (outside of probably GM or something) in a burger joint. I know that's not the real argument here but was worth pointing out.

Archived