Lowder, Chette Williams in NY Times

rolltoomer

As a Christian, I find it refreshing to see the publicity Chette Williams and this team have received and I can see no real harm that comes from it.  However, I understand the concern that some players or potential recruits may be alienated by it if they are not of that belief.  I'd just have to say that I'll take my chances there.

135469[/snapback]

any recruit that has a problem with this area of life and can't respect it - I don't want on this football team

Odds of DNA Formation, not evolution but simple, RANDOM, DNA formation, WITHOUT DOUBLE HELIX:

1x10(40,000) or 1 with 40,00 ) behind it. If that figure is only 1% accurate, then the number could be 1x10(39,998) or 1x10(40,002). Either way, many mathematicians after working this problem on simple variance of atmospheric pressure, chemical elements, electro-processes, etc found it to be such a large number that most calculators today cannot handle it. It is such a large number that most mathematicians consider it to be undeniable proof that there is a God somewhere that was involved in Creation.

This phrase is used quite often during the Christmas Holidays.....IT is VERY fitting for this post.

"WISE Men STILL seek HIM!"

WAR EAGLE...O N E at a time. :au:

As a Christian, I find it refreshing to see the publicity Chette Williams and this team have received and I can see no real harm that comes from it.  However, I understand the concern that some players or potential recruits may be alienated by it if they are not of that belief.  I'd just have to say that I'll take my chances there.

135469[/snapback]

any recruit that has a problem with this area of life and can't respect it - I don't want on this football team

137029[/snapback]

My point is not whether or not Christianity is a good thing, or whether there's all that much non-Christian talent out there we might be missing. As already stated, I am a Christian so I must think it's a pretty good thing. And no, Auburn does not recruit heavily in predominantly Hindu, Muslim, atheist, etc. regions of the planet.

It's just that, being a public school, Auburn should (and is constitutionally required to) make all opportunities equally available to all persons of any faith or lack thereof. Let me quickly add that, to date, I have heard no intimations or rumors of any discriminations against players who might not choose to partake of Williams' religious program. It's just that we should be cautious that such does not become the case, given AU's public state-financed status.

We can't make Christian belief any sort of litmus test for being on the team or getting equally opportunity at practice, on game day, or any other official team functions. I would hope it wouldn't keep teammates apart outside of official activities, either, but personal social activities are beyond the scope of the constitutional church/state issue.

135469[/snapback]

137029[/snapback]

There are a lot of flimsy assumptions at work in these calculations. However lets assume they are all correct etc etc....no problem. This does imply even by the wildest of imaginations, that one must have faith in god and his immortal son jesus christ in order to not be sent to some bad place to burn for eternity. That is quite a leap....one of you likes to use a "logical" story about a watch to convince me that such beliefs are neccesary in order for me to prevent from burning with the devil. (This same guy thinks I will be impressed with his intellect because he turned down a harvard admittance in order to go to auburn).

Another of you says I MUST have faith...i.e. believe in things for no logical reason whatsover...and god will burn me if I don't pick the right things to believe in.. as if one "chooses" what to believe. When in fact, my actions are a consequence of choice, but what I believe is a matter of simple brain output...If I think a story is ridiculous it doesn't matter that I wish I believe something else or how many tell me I MUST believe it...no matter what I say I still think the story is a ridiculous load of crap....I can smile, sing songs and say amen and preach to others and dunk my head in water or whatever(i've done all that)....but It isn't gonna make me believe unless the way I perceive the facts change.

oh ya, I think Wayne Hall is a really good stand up guy. If chette williams hangs out with him that raises my opinion of hi, not lowers it. The person talking about the class of the current players is right...tubberville has brought in a much better class of guy than tater tot had...the team used to be a majority of guys who easily could have been thugs given one or two minor changes in their life...and the FCA stuff hasn't just started up at auburn they had weekly prayer stuff and fca meetings in 1995 as well the bowdens kinda pushed it on the players then too.

Ok I'm done talking religion on here, anyone else that wants to convert me can email me.

gabe,i don't think that you are a bad guy,but you are terribly misguided.....for now,anyway....funny how some things work out in ways that continue to amaze.....'amazing grace, how sweet the sound,that saved a wretch like me,i once was lost but now am found,was blind but now i see'

gabe i could care less if you're impressed by my intellect. i'm just saying that you don't come off as a terribly ingratiating individual. you talk down to people you don't know simply because they "perceive the facts" differently than you. i was simply letting you know that being educated or intelligent doesn't have a dang thing to do with belief or lack thereof as you implied.

It seems perfectly logical to me that the Creator of the Universe and all thats in it has the right to determine the requirements for successful living on this planet and what it takes to live eternally with Him thereafter. Faith in His Son is not such a hard requirement when one has a teachable spirit and a heart that seeks the truth.

Gabe for you to have the beliefs you have requires much more faith and is vastly less logical than the faith possessed by true Christians. To believe that there is no Creator ... that the universe just happened from what many pseudo intellectuals believe was a big bang ... that atoms and molecules came together in the primordial waters forming life which ultimately evolved into man ... all of this takes a tremendous amount of faith. Unfortunately, though this is the wrong kind of faith which leads to a dead end. "Something from nothing" you call that logic? ... I don't think so.

Gabe is probably at a place in his life where many of us once were. I know there was a time when I felt intellectually superior because I didn't believe in a Supreme Being ... the title used in Philosophy courses. I didn't need the crutch of Christianity I thought. But one day at a funeral I realized that I had never been intellectually honest with myself for I had only considered the arguments against the existance of God and never the argurments for His existence. And I called myself a seeker of truth. Once I truly began the seek the truth with all my being God lead people and materials into my life that forever more changed me.

Gabe I see you as being honest with your beliefs on this board, but at the same time I see that you too might perhaps be failing to be intellectually honest with yourself. Have you ever considered the possibility that you might be wrong? Until you do I don't believe you are seeking the truth.

I wish to encourage all the Christian members of this site to shoot up a prayer for Gabe whenever his name comes to mind ... just ask our Heavenly Father to manifest His presence to him in a special way and open his eyes as You have ours to the truths in Your word. You know, Gabe might not be such a bad person to spend eternity with once the Lord does a number on him.

War Eagle!

According to the leader in radio talk show scum, JJ is going to investigate Chette based upon this idiot's article.

Errrr...Ahhhh...JAY JACOBS.....AD @ AUBURN. :huh:

Unfortunately, the article put us in a position to have no other choice except investigate. My feelings are that Chette Williams will be clean as a whistle. Its troubling but I am expecting nothing serious here.

Archived