Jason Smith Package

StatTiger

Stat, am I just crazy? I didn't think you were talking about using Jason Smith in the wildcat.

Maybe we need some of your diagrams.

:dunno:/>

I wasn't. Wildcat would be fine but what I discussed has more variety and solutions.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I think I can picture it in my head. But how would it be different from using Louis on the sweep?

Hopefully Jason would go up field sometimes instead of finding the side lines all the time. That would be a good start. Jason needs to be moved all over the field. Put him at QB sometimes as well. The threat of Jason being able to pass brings more to the table than what Ricardo does.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the way Stat is thinking. I was going to post something similar but no where near as specific. I think it's critical to give the LSU defense different looks, that they haven't seen on film, from our first offensive play. I was thinking having a designed run by Jeremy as the first play just to show them that he will run. Follow it up with some kind of sweep or reverse and then mix in similiar types of plays occasionally to try to keep them thinking too much. The general idea is to sew seeds of doubt from the start and then repeat that process occasionally enough to keep them mentally distracted.

We definitely need some movement/speed sweep type of misdirection. It's been my argument all week that the lack of these things against JSU proved our game plan was vanilla because we saw it quite a bit against Louisville.

Side note: I do find it funny that people are jumping off the JJ wagon, over White, over Queen and straight to Smith as who should get a chance at qb. I mean he has caught like 1 or 2 passes in his career, right?

Stat, am I just crazy? I didn't think you were talking about using Jason Smith in the wildcat.

I wasn't. Wildcat would be fine but what I discussed has more variety and solutions.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I think I can picture it in my head. But how would it be different from using Louis on the sweep?

This was a diagram I did from 2011. Various set ups formation why but wanted you to visualize the "orbit" motion...

2011%20Run%20Twin-sweep_zpsrgqojhfp.jpg

This was a diagram I did from 2011. Various set ups formation why but wanted you to visualize the "orbit" motion...

2011%20Run%20Twin-sweep_zpsrgqojhfp.jpg

Isn't this essentially the play where we fake 2 handoffs and throw deep? It got us a td in the last game. It can be used a ton of ways, of course. Not just the deep throw.

We definitely need some movement/speed sweep type of misdirection. It's been my argument all week that the lack of these things against JSU proved our game plan was vanilla because we saw it quite a bit against Louisville.

Side note: I do find it funny that people are jumping off the JJ wagon, over White, over Queen and straight to Smith as who should get a chance at qb. I mean he has caught like 1 or 2 passes in his career, right?

I think the main reason some would want Jason over White is because he is the most athletic and mobile QB of White or Queen(he's done for the season--injury so it would be Wallace). Nick is still fresh on our minds and what he was able to do. Why switch to either one of those and run the same offense that you were with JJ? Jason would bring another element to the offense.

I don't want to see a QB switch but if we had to do it...i would want to see if Jason could be serviceable enough passing to possibly take over. Again..i sure hope it doesn't come to any backup having to be the starter...barring injury.

Isn't this essentially the play where we fake 2 handoffs and throw deep? It got us a td in the last game. It can be used a ton of ways, of course. Not just the deep throw.

Close but the play you are referring to is normally the play AU runs coming out of the sugar huddle with the QB under center, QB fakes the end-around and throws deep.

It's funny to see how uncomfortable this fan base is with a traditional pro style qb. You guys must miss Marshall a lot.

So you don't miss him? I'm not ready to give up on JJ but it's not hard to see that a mobile QB adds another element that's hard to account for in Gus's offense.

It's funny to see how uncomfortable this fan base is with a traditional pro style qb. You guys must miss Marshall a lot.

This might have something to do with it...

Rushing Offense:

2009, 2011 and 2015: 195.8 YPG / 4.70 YPC / 24.8 ATD / 10+ run every 6.6 att

2010, 2013 and 2014: 290.6 YPG / 6.00 YPC / 16.4 ATD / 10+ run every 5.1 att

2009, 2011 and 2015 offenses averaged 29 PPG

2010, 2013 and 2014 offenses averaged 38 PPG

Orbit motion

Jet motion

Zone read

Inverted veer

Counter

Shifting formations

Wildcat

Unbalanced line

Direct snap to RB

I'm missing the exciting plays we have run over the years, and our offense is missing out on its potential.

Brandon Marcello@bmarcello 48m48 minutes ago

CGM on Jason Smith at Wildcat: "You know, uh, we definitely played around with that in the spring." Doesn't sound to me they're doing it now

0 retweets0 favoriReply

Who's the guy that went to Auburn practices this fall from this forum? Can I ask what we were doing then because it didn't seem like a lot

There are many options off this basic play.

CGM on Jason Smith at Wildcat: "You know, uh, we definitely played around with that in the spring." Doesn't sound to me they're doing it now

0 retweets0 favoriReply

Who's the guy that went to Auburn practices this fall from this forum? Can I ask what we were doing then because it didn't seem like a lot

Sorry, but this us total BS. Gary Danielson watched some Auburn practices the week before the UL game and saw themse Jason Smith as a wildcat qb. Gus is doing what he has been doing lately which is to mislead the press.

A thread about the wildcat package using a specific player right now is...interesting. Like talking about stepping stone #28 before landing on stone #4. But for fun, Jovon's WR hands and greater beef in the wildcat, now THAT would be interesting.

0 retweets0 favoriReply

Sorry, but this us total BS. Gary Danielson watched some Auburn practices the week before the UL game and saw themse Jason Smith as a wildcat qb. Gus is doing what he has been doing lately which is to mislead the press.

Danielson talks a lot of BS as well. Pick your poison.

0 retweets0 favoriReply

Danielson talks a lot of BS as well. Pick your poison.

maybe, but he wouldn't lie about seeing something he saw. (Nursery rhyme?)

Wouldn't we rather see the offense function as planned and not have to change directions 2 GAMES in the season? Jason Smith will play a key role in games where throwing in the kitchen sink is necessary. First we need downhill running.

A thread about the wildcat package using a specific player right now is...interesting. Like talking about stepping stone #28 before landing on stone #4. But for fun, Jovon's WR hands and greater beef in the wildcat, now THAT would be interesting.

You have Darren McFadden's attention.

Archived