Duke

auburnatl1

There were for me 3 high level reasons for optimism this year. CWM, a dark horse heisman candidate quaterback (cam 2), and duke returning..... I'm totally lost. Is it simply bad quaterbacking, double teams, he too was over rated, or is he still in gus's dog house? For whatever reason, he's become totally and completely irrelevant.

There were for me 3 high level reasons for optimism this year. CWM, a dark horse heisman candidate quaterback (cam 2), and duke returning..... I'm totally lost. Is it simply bad quaterbacking, double teams, he too was over rated, or is he still in gus's dog house? For whatever reason, he's become totally and completely irrelevant.

Whatever the reason, coming up with a recruiting pitch for our targeted receivers promises to be an adventure.

He has to be targeted to catch it though. He needs to be put in position to get open to get the ball. That means better routes and scheming. How is it that everyone knew the ball was going to Amri Cooper yet he still couldn't be stopped. Same goes for Pharoh Copper at USCe. He's there best player on the team yet the ball constantly finds it's way to him because Spurrier makes it priority to find ways to get him the ball. Duke may can give a little more effort but i think he gets way too much criticism and blame when it comes to WR play.

I've been saying the same thing all year. We run the same plays (since gus has been calling plays) for 7 years. Other than the wide receiver slip screen, we dont have a screen play to a running back. Perfect call on a blitz. Tired of the same plays

I've been saying the same thing all year. We run the same plays (since gus has been calling plays) for 7 years. Other than the wide receiver slip screen, we dont have a screen play to a running back. Perfect call on a blitz. Tired of the same plays

I was begging for screens when it was very clear that MSU was bringing the heat to Sean...especially on passing 3rd downs. Help your QB out! Yet we want to run long reverse action pass plays and nearly get Sean killed. Our WRs run constantly are running junior high/high school WR routes. Just baffles me.

It seems like Duke runs some sort of deep slant or post over the middle 90% of the time. And it is clear that the defense knows this. So many times I've seen a corner covering duke and as soon as the ball is snapped a linebacker turns around and meets duke right where he is supposed to break on his route. Can't throw it to him if there is somebody right in front of him. Trust me Jeremy still tried.

When he was targeted tonight, he made some fine catches. Malzahn needs to dial his number 9-10 times a game. Don't know why he won't. Not Duke's ability, it's play calling

He dropped a wide open catch that would've put us on their 40. He didn't look like he cared at all.

Not sure if anyone noticed on sideline last night duke and ricardo both looked light years away when white was trying to motivate

Our two best WRs and nobody seems able to get them interested in the game. Wonder what's going on there ?

Good WRs find ways to get open, a quick decisive move, a subtle push off ....something. For guys like Duke and Louis to be so easy to cover.....it's on them IMO.

Agree with Clayton and 64.

I do have some questions about Coach Craig, though.

yep...him too. Meanwhile, I liked that sneaky little push that Wilson gave our DB at the goal line last night. Our guy not too bad on the coverage but Wilson much bigger and at the last minute he just "moved" our guy away from the play...nothing really overt....just nudged the defender enough to give him room to could catch the ball. A pro move for certain. I keep looking for our guys to do that.

Not sure if anyone noticed on sideline last night duke and ricardo both looked light years away when white was trying to motivate

Our two best WRs and nobody seems able to get them interested in the game. Wonder what's going on there ?

Good WRs find ways to get open, a quick decisive move, a subtle push off ....something. For guys like Duke and Louis to be so easy to cover.....it's on them IMO.

Didn't notice.

However if you say so; then perhaps the mature thing would have been for them to step up and get to motivating.

According to the coaches on the post game radio show, Louis wasn't 100% physically and they were hoping to keep him out altogether, or at least minimize his number of plays, which they did.

I've been trying to figure out why he's the receivers coach and not the QB coach since he was hired.

We had something like 10 passing attempts through 3 quarters. Most of which were under 10 yards. Hard to spotlight a WR with only 10 passes.

We were starting a RFr who had never taken a snap and had supposedly been beaten out in spring ball by a gentleman who had thrown 6 int's (should be 10). I understand the conservative game plan. It basically took us back to week 1. It generally takes Gus 3-4 games to figure out what he can do with the offense. I hate excuses, but it's the harsh reality. I hope by week 8 or 9 we are the team that nobody wants to play. Not sure that will happen but what else can we hope for at this point?

Concerning Duke, I don't know how he is still on the team. I think he's a talent no doubt, but he doesn't make an effort every snap. Ole Miss's WR's block their tails off. MSU's WR's blocked our butts. Duke half-asses when the ball isn't coming his way. Think defenses don't notice this? Essentially makes it 11 vs 10 when Duke isn't the primary target.

Concerning Duke, I don't know how he is still on the team. I think he's a talent no doubt, but he doesn't make an effort every snap. Ole Miss's WR's block their tails off. MSU's WR's blocked our butts. Duke half-asses when the ball isn't coming his way. Think defenses don't notice this? Essentially makes it 11 vs 10 when Duke isn't the primary target.

Yup. And now he's not even making an effort to catch the ball. It's so frustrating to watch such a freakishly talented guy choose to fail.

According to the coaches on the post game radio show, Louis wasn't 100% physically and they were hoping to keep him out altogether, or at least minimize his number of plays, which they did.

Actually makes me feel better. Get well, Ricardo.

I just cannot understand why a player would go through all the effort to be on a team, then go out on gameday and give a half-hearted effort. I assume they must think that theirs is a future of greatness even though they show no effort?

yep...him too. Meanwhile, I liked that sneaky little push that Wilson gave our DB at the goal line last night. Our guy not too bad on the coverage but Wilson much bigger and at the last minute he just "moved" our guy away from the play...nothing really overt....just nudged the defender enough to give him room to could catch the ball. A pro move for certain. I keep looking for our guys to do that.

YES. I realize that Wilson is a giant, but some of our guys are pretty big, too.

Archived