Has Gus taken back the play calling?

AUTiger25

Are the coaches allowing Sean White to make any reads at all? In the gif of the deep ball to Smith, Marcus Davis was not even covered at any point in time. Talk about taking what the defense gives you... Whatever happened to that philosophy?

I'm not sure how this is relevant, considering Smith beat the defenders, was wide open and would have gone for a touchdown had he made the catch...

The result of the play isn't the point. It should be relevant to Sean White's progression moving forward. He locked his eyes onto Smith the whole way. I don't think many college coaches are teaching their QB's to stare down their 1st option, regardless if it was a script or not. And you don't think the safer and higher probability throw on 2nd and 13 was to Marcus Davis on the check-down with Melvin Ray in great position to block? I don't recall too many big pass plays going for completions so far this year.

You're spending time arguing that a ball that had it been 2 yards to the right would have been a td should have been thrown to a checkdown and that SW stared down the receiver. Guess what.... Once you look at a receiver, when you see him starting to come open, you keep looking at him. That's how you know where he is to pass the ball to him. And no, the checkdown is the wrong pass. JS was the #1 option here. Once he was a viable option, the checkdown doesn't get looked at. You're talking about 1-2 seconds to make the decision and throw it for it to be successful. You never pass up an open long ball for a checkdown unless you are trying NOT to score for sake of killing the clock.

There were two good options available to throw on that play. Given our progression to this point in the season, the check down had the highest probability to be completed and help the offense sustain that drive. We've been awful at the deep ball. Despite Smith's ability to burn the defenders, we came up empty. Coaches have been calling very conservatively for a reason. They took a big gamble here, despite what they saw pre-snap.

I still don't understand why the QB can't scan the field before making a decision, unless it's how he was instructed by the coaches. QB's are required to make split-second decisions in D1 football. I hope we do become better with the deep ball as the season progresses, but Sean's been great with the short passes. And right now this offense is trying to establish any level of consistency it can.

if he scans the field the deep ball to the first read is no good because the receiver is out of arm range. It was open and he made the right decision.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am hoping that CGM has taken tonight to retake call playing for time being and he gets a Wildman streak on and doesn't overthink thigs but just calls his best play each time. Go for it Coach..let's see some of the "old CGM"!!

Heh.

Whatcha smokin'?

Are the coaches allowing Sean White to make any reads at all? In the gif of the deep ball to Smith, Marcus Davis was not even covered at any point in time. Talk about taking what the defense gives you... Whatever happened to that philosophy?

I'm not sure how this is relevant, considering Smith beat the defenders, was wide open and would have gone for a touchdown had he made the catch...

The result of the play isn't the point. It should be relevant to Sean White's progression moving forward. He locked his eyes onto Smith the whole way. I don't think many college coaches are teaching their QB's to stare down their 1st option, regardless if it was a script or not. And you don't think the safer and higher probability throw on 2nd and 13 was to Marcus Davis on the check-down with Melvin Ray in great position to block? I don't recall too many big pass plays going for completions so far this year.

You're spending time arguing that a ball that had it been 2 yards to the right would have been a td should have been thrown to a checkdown and that SW stared down the receiver. Guess what.... Once you look at a receiver, when you see him starting to come open, you keep looking at him. That's how you know where he is to pass the ball to him. And no, the checkdown is the wrong pass. JS was the #1 option here. Once he was a viable option, the checkdown doesn't get looked at. You're talking about 1-2 seconds to make the decision and throw it for it to be successful. You never pass up an open long ball for a checkdown unless you are trying NOT to score for sake of killing the clock.

There were two good options available to throw on that play. Given our progression to this point in the season, the check down had the highest probability to be completed and help the offense sustain that drive. We've been awful at the deep ball. Despite Smith's ability to burn the defenders, we came up empty. Coaches have been calling very conservatively for a reason. They took a big gamble here, despite what they saw pre-snap.

I still don't understand why the QB can't scan the field before making a decision, unless it's how he was instructed by the coaches. QB's are required to make split-second decisions in D1 football. I hope we do become better with the deep ball as the season progresses, but Sean's been great with the short passes. And right now this offense is trying to establish any level of consistency it can.

if he scans the field the deep ball to the first read is no good because the receiver is out of arm range. It was open and he made the right decision.

The majority here seem to agree it was a scripted play. If it was, Gus made the decision for him. If he was left to make his own read on that play, it could have certainly gone differently. White may have been more comfortable with the check down. The short passes have been our bread and butter with Sean. He knows he can do that well. The coaches have been using White like a drone to this point. I'd like to see him be given a little more freedom with his decision-making instead of having such a scripted and slow offense.

The majority here seem to agree it was a scripted play. If it was, Gus made the decision for him. If he was left to make his own read on that play, it could have certainly gone differently. White may have been more comfortable with the check down. The short passes have been our bread and butter with Sean. He knows he can do that well. The coaches have been using White like a drone to this point. I'd like to see him be given a little more freedom with his decision-making instead of having such a scripted and slow offense.

So where is your proof this was a scripted play? It looks an awful lot like a deep route and a checkdown. If there is not a checkdown option, then why is there a checkdown receiver looking for the ball with a blocker out ahead of him? I'll tell you why, because the deep ball was option 1 and the checkdown was option 2. How many times must one explain that when option 1 is open, you take it! That is why it is option 1 to begin with! This discussion should stop. Its preposterous.

EDIT: Also, claiming "The majority here seem to agree it was a scripted play" is flat out wrong. By and large the majority agree it was the proper read on a two read play.

A lot of info in this thread.. Do we have an answer to the OP's question, yet?

The gif included a couple posts prior shows the whole offense looking at Gus until he makes the call....I'd say the question wasn't entirely valid as it seems Gus is clearly calling plays...albeit with some input from Rhett, like its always been....so no need to take it back to begin with. I think where people are confused here is when you see rhett calling in a play....which doesn't mean he made the playcall to begin with

A lot of info in this thread.. Do we have an answer to the OP's question, yet?

depends on who answers...

CGM has to loosen up tonite or just write it down to a losing season. He has to (let me say "he should") change his tendencies and completely call a game without tendencies and see what may happen. Right now, it is all too too much predictable and we do not have the offensive line power to impose CGM's will on another team right now.

Archived