Has Gus taken back the play calling?

AUTiger25

Whether Malzahn has taken back the play calling responsibilities?

I know we have discussed on this board about CRL and that he has been calling the plays and CGM can go with it or audible out. It seems like it's time to put up or shut up for this team.

Thanks and War Eagle Always.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it really matters one way or the other. The playcalling is simplistic & predictable and has been for a while. If Gus wanted to shake things up and get creative he would do it.

Can we move on from this notion? Our play calling has been the same since Gus has coached here. We have the same tendancies since 2013. I forget which thread it was but someone already laid the stats on play calling. 99% of our problem this year is execution. Poor blocking by recievers, poor routes, poor decisions by the qb and a myriad of other missed assignments by the o-line and fb's. Still a coacching problem just not what everyone thinks.

Who knows who is calling these plays?

Gus and Rhett seem to be in some sort of thought loop where they speak between games about "opening up the offense" and then on game-day they shut it down air-tight. Whoever is actually calling the plays, Gus is responsible for it and the plays you see are what he wants.

Why so vanilla? That's where the real questions begin.

Can we move on from this notion? Our play calling has been the same since Gus has coached here. We have the same tendancies since 2013. I forget which thread it was but someone already laid the stats on play calling. 99% of our problem this year is execution. Poor blocking by recievers, poor routes, poor decisions by the qb and a myriad of other missed assignments by the o-line and fb's. Still a coacching problem just not what everyone thinks.

Respectfully disagree. The play calling and tempo have not been the same. Plus, the amount of substitutions have increased allowing the opposition more time to rotate their defenders more often.

I agree the execution must get better, much better, but so does the tempo and play calling.

It certainly does seem like AU substitutes guys in every snap. How can you expect that to create tempo with the new rules in effect allowing defense time to counter them? It seems like you are just defeating one of the building blocks of his offense right off the bat. I have been 100% behind Gus until this year because the product on the field has just been plain awful really. We just look like we are behind in every category against our opponents. That was even the case in the FCS opponent AU played as well. The decisions made at crucial times this year have been mind boggling. I'm no coach nor do I claim to be, but anyone with a background in football with a good head on their shoulders can come to the same conclusion, if Gus is calling the plays he is failing. Quit worrying about getting JJ back in the game and start worrying about getting production out of the offense with SW at the helm.

Respectfully disagree. The play calling and tempo have not been the same. Plus, the amount of substitutions have increased allowing the opposition more time to rotate their defenders more often.

I agree the execution must get better, much better, but so does the tempo and play calling.

We are moving slower because of the problems I mentioned (could you imagine playing super tempo with the execution problems...3 and out in 30 seconds...brutal). But as far as the plays called, they are consistent.

However, this may be a chicken and the egg sort of thing.

So in other words we agree, there are a lot of problems on the offense and no quick fix can be applied. Unless all of sudden our guys learn how to football real quick.

My thoughts:

If Lashlee has been calling plays, he should be let go.

If Gus has been calling plays, Lashlee should still be let go! What does he do? He doesn't develope QB's, can't recruit, and doesn't have a say in play-calling... that's a worthless staff member.

if you dont go fast tempo teams like bama like to substitute the perfect personnel to go with what schemes they see if you dont let them substitute you can exploit the weakness of the tired players they have stuck on the field

The play calling to me looked especially suspect in the red zone against MSU. It was like we got nervous and didn't know what to do.

not the first time we have seen coaching confusion in the red zone.

This is Gus's offense similar to Saban's defense. If you change coordinators at either school nothing will change. I've heard about a system that Gus and Rhett run where one of them concentrates on what the defensive back field is doing and the other the front 7 and they work to call plays that take advantage of that. I may have made that up but I swear I've heard talk of that somewhere.

The play calling to me looked especially suspect in the red zone against MSU. It was like we got nervous and didn't know what to do.

No. Not the first time. In fact, the choking has become so frequent and severe I fear Gus has developed a Pavlovian response to red.

No. Not the first time. In fact, the choking has become so frequent and severe I fear Gus has developed a Pavlovian response to red.

My favorite is 3rd and short on the 1 or 2 yard line a couple years ago and Auburn ran a reverse pass or something crazy like that. Lost about 5 yards

QB play makes all of the difference. It all starts with the QB. Watch SW closely the first time we are on offense. If we march down the field and score, look for good things to take place the rest of the game.

Interested to see how much the "scheme" is changed Thursday. It's very obvious the two previous offenses aren't working this year. In Jeremy's case, you could at least run a very efficient zone read and he can very simple throws on playaction.

With Sean, you'd have to revamp much of the offense if you want to actually use him effectively, which I doubt Gus and them plan on doing any time soon. I'd say the biggest reason Sean won't start.

I don't understand the increase in substitutions; sometimes it seems like almost every play of some drives. This ov course, prevents the up pace tempo Gus has been known for.

I do think part of our problem on offense is the fact that neither of our QBs can think fast enough to run Gus' offense. They aren't capable of making the right decisions quickly enough and never go to any second choice, whether it be a running play or seeking out a receiver. Whatever was first on their mind, that's what they're going to do come hell or high water...even if it means throwing into triple coverage.

Scotty doesn't know

Atta boy. My kinda post.

Was thinking the same thing.

Archived