Serious question about Garner

Auburn4Winners

In no way do I want to take jabs at Coach Garner BUT for years now we've had extensive talent along the defensive line, we have players on defensive lines all over the NFL, we bring in big recruits on the line every year, yet somehow it has been a weakness for us over and over. Is it time to admit he's not a good developer of talent or at least not a good evaluator of talent? Again, I'm not trying to say for sure that he is or isn't a problem, I just want to legitimately hear some opinions.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no way do I want to take jabs at Coach Garner BUT for years now we've had extensive talent along the defensive line, we have players on defensive lines all over the NFL, we bring in big recruits on the line every year, yet somehow it has been a weakness for us over and over. Is it time to admit he's not a good developer of talent or at least not a good evaluator of talent? Again, I'm not trying to say for sure that he is or isn't a problem, I just want to legitimately hear some opinions.

This is a difficult question for many reasons. The defensive line play, like other positions, is determined by the rest of the defense too. If the linebackers aren't meeting the running backs on runs the D-line can't afford to over pursue. If the offense is doing nothing but screens and quick slants (which the linebackers SHOULD cover) the d-line gets worn out or just doesn't get a chance to do anything.

When facing mobile qbs Muschamp has created a passive rush by the front four. They're clearly not trying to get pressure but instead are forcing the qb to throw. The Mississippi State game is a great example and even a few years ago it's what we did to Manziel.

Coverage from the secondary is an issue as well. You haven't heard the term "coverage sack" from Auburn in a long time. Until Muschamp can get the secondary he wants it's going to be tough to have a presence at the D-line. Then we can judge Garner.

It's only when every other positron is doing well that you can judge a single position adequately.The short version: If the d-line had more faith in our linebackers and secondary they'd probably feel more free to attack.

I do not believe that we will have to worry about it after this year. I think he will be replaced after the season is over. that along with at least one coach on Off..

I thought he was below average at UGA his last few years. I blamed it on the switch to a 3-4 and that wasn't his specialty? But the 4-3 he would do solid. My theory didn't hold up.

Face it... we made the glaring mistake of hanging our hat on 2 players... Lawson and Adams. Both are everything they were cracked up to be, but you can't have a dominant D-line with just one star. All the other team has to do is double him. If Lawson wasn't hurt, not one would be saying a single negative thing about Garner, because we'd be living in our opponents backfield and probably only have 1 loss.

I don't know how people can think a coach who has dominated for years can somehow forget how to coach. If you want to dig for a negative, you could say that he didn't notice how lacking we were elsewhere (which may be poor talent evaluation, or may be that they didn't have to work so hard with Carl and Monty killing it every play), but face it, when you have an unstoppable tandem, it's a lot harder to see the faults around them.

Face it... we made the glaring mistake of hanging our hat on 2 players... Lawson and Adams. Both are everything they were cracked up to be, but you can't have a dominant D-line with just one star. All the other team has to do is double him. If Lawson wasn't hurt, not one would be saying a single negative thing about Garner, because we'd be living in our opponents backfield and probably only have 1 loss.

I don't know how people can think a coach who has dominated for years can somehow forget how to coach. If you want to dig for a negative, you could say that he didn't notice how lacking we were elsewhere (which may be poor talent evaluation, or may be that they didn't have to work so hard with Carl and Monty killing it every play), but face it, when you have an unstoppable tandem, it's a lot harder to see the faults around them.

Are you saying that Garner's lines have dominated for years?

I just don't see any improvement in Adams, or for that matter any of our d lineman play this year. Sure he is double teamed some of the time but I've watched his play closely and he is neutralized often by good O lineman and does continue to take plays off. With a GOOD, MOTIVATED, YOUNGER D line coach much of this would be taken care of. Garner and Lashly both need to take advantage of the numerous openings that will be available at the end of the season.

I'm say Garner's been a quality, respected D-Line coach for years.

When is the last time we had a dominate line?

I think Coach Boom should have whoever he wants for DL coach and I believe he will make that determination after the season is over. I certainly prefer Rocker as a DL coach but Garner has been a better recruiter in the past.

Face it... we made the glaring mistake of hanging our hat on 2 players... Lawson and Adams.

We didn't "hang our hat on them." We just didn't get enough other players. It wasn't for a lack of trying, but we swung and missed on some recruits, had others like Elijah Daniel get booted or leave, and some didn't pan out. But it's not accurate to call it a "mistake" as if we got Adams and Lawson and called it a day.

I don't think that was a glaring mistake. We put faith in two guy on the defensive line for the play of the defensive line? That's usually what teams do. They hype up their big time players. We've got two of them, and if the other was out there, the line would be exponentially better. You can't tell me for one second that we wouldn't have one of the best D lines in the conference if Lawson had been healthy and playing all along. Lawson is a season changer, he gives motivation/leadership/drive to other linemen, we saw that in the first half of the Louisville game. If we get 55 back, we get the season back.

Edit: I know one player does not make an entire team, but I do believe one player can have more of an effect on a team than any given average player. (I.e. Cameron Newton). The evidence we've received is this- when Lawson has been on the field for any part of the game, Auburn is 13-2. When Carl Lawson has been absent from the entire game, Auburn is 11-8. Is he the best player in history? Probably not, but he is the most important piece to a successful 2015 Auburn Football Season, period.

Only way, the one whose name I shall not use, who is dead to me, comes back is if he looses his job at Ga.

*loses*

Face it... we made the glaring mistake of hanging our hat on 2 players... Lawson and Adams.

We didn't "hang our hat on them." We just didn't get enough other players. It wasn't for a lack of trying, but we swung and missed on some recruits, had others like Elijah Daniel get booted or leave, and some didn't pan out. But it's not accurate to call it a "mistake" as if we got Adams and Lawson and called it a day.

Titan, I am not going to start a poll but I sure would like to hear from the ones that think Garner should stay as DL coach next year. If you are one of those people, step up to the plate. Development is not happening and his so called recruiting prowess at Georgia has yet to show up. We have given him all the time in the world and he has failed to show any improvement whatsoever since he arrived at Auburn. Our DL is stacked with 4* and 5* players, but I can pick any game on any given Saturday and find that at least one of the two teams have a better DL than ours and that is ridiculous.

When is the last time we had a dominate line?

Archived