I was wrong

BamaGrad03

I have no trouble admitting it either. AU is clearly #2 in my mind. And it sucks that AU and USC dont get to square off next weekend...even in a high school stadium.

I dont think AU could beat USC. But I do think Utah and AU deserve to be ranked ahead of OU for sure.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I have no trouble admitting it either. AU is clearly #2 in my mind. And it sucks that AU and USC dont get to square off next weekend...even in a high school stadium.

I dont think AU could beat USC. But I do think Utah and AU deserve to be ranked ahead of OU for sure.

136444[/snapback]

Thanks, BG. There was a least a little logic behind that post. Granted, I don't agree with it, but it is your opinion.

It does suck, because we will never know if AU could stop USC this year.

It takes a big man to admit they are wrong...

I know this isn't the most popular comment, but if Auburn is going to be 2nd to anyone in the polls, it's best that it be to USC than anyone else.

Welcome to the party, late though you may be. :D

And you, nor anyone else can say, with any amount of certainty, that AU is not the BEST team. USC, nor any other team, proved to be better than the AUBURN TIGERS!

We are CHAMPIONS....On the FIELD ! ! ! :au:

136444[/snapback]

That makes you wrong twice. On a given night when you match two good teams you never know who will win. USC was hot last night but they had several turnovers from OK too. I bet if Auburn was playing USC next week you wouldn't give me 3 points for a sizeable bet would you? :D

Thanks for the props, BG. No way OU should remain ahead of anyone undefeated after the spanking they took last night.

I think the polls should read this way:

1. USC

2. :au:

3. Utah

4. Texas

5. Oklahoma

It's impossible to tell until they square off. Most writers picked OU for this game. Why? Because of perception or lack thereof. The last few weeks of the season, OU was beating up on the likes of Baylor and hapless Colorado while USC was floundering against a 6-5 UCLA. How awesome did USC look after that game?

The nations perception changes from week to week. Last night, USC looked like they could take the Steelers down. Earlier this year, they had to have a horrific call go in their favor to beat that same Va. Tech team that Auburn played. If you recall, Va. Tech was slapping USC around for 2 and a half quarters. How did USC look against 4-7 Stanford? Or that same Cal team that was Texas Tech's beatch the other night? Has OU been given the free pass the last two years?

The only common opponent for USC and Auburn is Va. Tech and I submit that Va. Tech was playing far better when they played Auburn. Look at those two games head to head and tell me you can honestly say USC is better.

I didnt mean my comment to be negative in regards to my thinking USC is better than AU.

I really just think, looking at the entire season in front of us...USC is #1 and AU is #2. Yes I think if AU played USC 10 times, they would win some and lose some.

Like I said, the most unfortunate thing in all of this is the fact that AU and USC SHOULD be able to play each other...and wont get the chance to.

WHO CARES?

I can and will proudly state that AUBURN is the BEST Team in AMERICA ! !

NOBODY can prove otherwise.

WE are the CHAMPIONS ! ! ! ! :au:

I agree with that BG. I guess it would all come down to what team showed up. If we came into that game playing like we did against UGA, I like our chances. If we went conservative as we had a tendency to do in some games, we may get it handed to us. I agree though, settle it on the field.

BG, as an Alabam fan, I ask what the perception was of the game before Bama played Miami in the 92' Sugar Bowl? What was that outcome again?

Miami spent the whole week telling reporters how they were gonna destroy us. Lamar Thomas (the biggest mouth of the bunch) said we didnt have the team speed to keep up with him and that "real men play man, not zone".

There was an article in the LA Times about how we shouldnt even be able to play Miami because they were that much better.

But I think a few teams from this year could beat that Miami team...I wouldnt say that about USC this year. And USC acted and played like champions...they didnt spend the whole week mouthing off.

bg i'll tell you the one reason i think you're wrong about us again. defense. that's it. period. when you match up truly great offenses against truly great defenses, the defense almost always wins. 1992 bama, 2002 ohio state, 2000 oklahoma, the baltimore ravens, the tampa bay bucs... these are all just examples from recent times. it's a historical truth, defense wins championships and no one, usc and ou included, played defense like us this year.

I dont think USC's defense is better than AU's...but it is damn good. If USC was a boise st type team that just scored a ton of points, then id agree...but USC has a STOUT defense to go with their O.

if stanford can score 28 on them, so can we. since no team has scored more than that on us, i don't see any reason to think they would either. like i say, just break it down.

you can pick any single receiver going into the game for usc and pretend like he doesn't exist b/c carlos has him. i don't care if it's reggie bush, dwayne jarrett, or even mike williams. carlos has him. then you can take away gashing us on the run b/c we gave up what three rushing tds all year and one 100-yard rusher? so on the bright side give lendale white (the much better of the two backs) and bush a combined 120 and 1 touch. then tell me where the points are coming from? not the tightend b/c our linebackers are as fast as any in the nation. so that leaves you with hanging the entire game on steve smith and multiple receiver sets, which we can counter with two defensive ends that had 7+ sacks. i'm sorry, there is just no way that i buy usc scoring a ton on us. we played 4 games against top ten teams and gave up a total of 5 touchdowns. we're the best team in the nation.

It would have been a great matchup. USC was insane last night, but their season overall shows that they aren't consistently that kind of juggernaut. So it all depends on who makes plays. I like our chances with our defense and JCs ability to change into better plays at the line. Those who would compare the opening game of 2003 to this year haven't been paying attention.

It would have been a classic game, IMO. Much better than OU demonstrated. USC might have still won it, but nothing I saw last night would scare me from challenging them to a game in two weeks if it were possible.

I think it would come down to agressiveness. If Auburn got any kind of lead and then sat on it like they did against UA and VT, USC would come back and storm by us in the 4th quarter. The only way to beat them is to keep scoring points; and of course, not give the ball away. If they played like they did last night, you would of course have to play mistake free ball...

You hit the nail on the head, MCG. USC did not stack up so well against a truly great defense like Va. Tech's and I think would have the same problems against Auburn's. They were not the #1 scoring defense for nothing and did that against better competition than USC played. I admit that Chow did a killer job making the adjustments in that Va. Tech game to isolate R. Bush on a linebacker several times. That was the difference but it was a war til the end.

In the Shed, someone posted USC's schedule and scores for the year. They don't look all that awesome when you break down the season

Yes. AUBURN has the BEST FOOTBALL T E A M in the NATION.

NOBODY can prove otherwise.

Those that wish to continue to lick usc's "boots", please feel free to do so. :lol::lol:

WE ARE AUBURN. WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS. :au: .....On the field, where CHAMPIONSHIPS are WON ! ! !

Archived