Gun Violence Stat

RunInRed

Since 9/11, fewer than 100 Americans have been murdered by terrorists on American soil --- any one want to guess the number killed by gun violence?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since 9/11, fewer than 100 Americans have been murdered by terrorists on American soil --- any one want to guess the number killed by gun violence?

Per the CDC, about 50% less than the number of babies killed after 20 weeks of gestation...how about we focus there 1st...oh, we can't, dead babies don't have a lobby or interest group to advocate for them.

Between 6k-8k gun deaths occur per year in the US...and declining...late term abortions are ~15k per year.

Boy Red, you poked a tender spot. ;D

It doesn't take much.

For the record, the number is 400,000. Four. Hundred. Thousand. deaths as a result of gun violence here in the US. Call it whatever you want, that's a HUGE number.

That math doesn't work; there are anywhere between 6k-8k gun deaths per year in the US per the FBI and CDC. There are ~12k murders in total; about 2/3 of which are committed with guns. In 14 years that would be a max of 122k and a more reasonable 84k based on the most recent trends. In the same period of time, there have been 210k late term abortions.

Boy Red, you poked a tender spot. ;D/>

It doesn't take much.

For the record, the number is 400,000. Four. Hundred. Thousand. deaths as a result of gun violence here in the US. Call it whatever you want, that's a HUGE number.

What is your source? I've seen some things about this lately but none were as high as 400k.

Stats of deaths by terrorists by itself is misleading. If I carried, it would be for protection against terrorists along with robbers, rapists, etc.

CNN's stats are vastly different from any others that I've seen. Of course, upon checking the article I see their source is the CDC, which currently can be expected to be as truthful as the IRS or the Federal Prison Administrator (Prisoners don't like bacon so we've stopped serving pork products).

Since 2001, the harm from terrorists to Americans both here and abroad accounts for 0.8% of all American deaths by firearms in the United States in the same time period.

Capture.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/03/us/gun-deaths-united-states/

It should be noted that the number comes from ALL manners of death by firearm.

About 60% of the above are suicide...again, this is a mental illness issue. What is also left out is the broader context that there are over 500k annual uses of firearms in self defense..per the CDC from the same study sited above.

In addition, the CDC found that firearms are used more for self-defense than they are in the commission of crimes, noting:

Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.

I'm not sure how abortions come into play ... other than pure politics. As for the "Apples and Oranges" to terrorism-related deaths on US soil ... I think the angle is that we commit unending federal resources to protect us ... likewise people carry for "protection" ...

We spend over a trillion dollars, and pass countless laws, and devote entire agencies to preventing terrorist attacks on our soil, and rightfully so. And yet, we have a Congress that explicitly blocks us from even collecting data on how we could potentially reduce gun deaths. So, the underlying point was to highlight the lack of resources, legislative action, etc. taken on gun violence.

Which gets back to the point being made: guns have claimed many more lives than terrorist attacks.

I'm not sure how abortions come into play ... other than pure politics. As for the "Apples and Oranges" to terrorism-related deaths on US soil ... I think the angle is that we commit unending federal resources to protect us ... likewise people carry for "protection" ...

We spend over a trillion dollars, and pass countless laws, and devote entire agencies to preventing terrorist attacks on our soil, and rightfully so. And yet, we have a Congress that explicitly blocks us from even collecting data on how we could potentially reduce gun deaths. So, the underlying point was to highlight the lack of resources, legislative action, etc. taken on gun violence.

Which gets back to the point being made: guns have claimed many more lives than terrorist attacks.

Apples and Oranges (since you like using the phrase). Terrorists are people who plan and coordinate their plans to attack and kill as many people as possible to advance an ideology over another.

Guns sit.....alone......cold......without a brain, heart or idea to promote....only a tool for various things like political activism......death......protection......putting food on the table.......or used for fun at the expense of human desire.

So........how many people die from falls each year? I mean......the fall is alone....feels nothing and acts as a silent item of accident.

death-rate-graph-500w.png

The US has the highest number of guns per capita in the world ... and there is a high correlation with gun death rates. This isn't a coincidence and the solution isn't rocket science. Unless of course, mentally-ill people only exist in America.

The US has the highest number of guns per capita in the world ... and there is a high correlation with gun death rates. This isn't a coincidence and the solution isn't rocket science. Unless of course, mentally-ill people only exist in America.

No, but infringing on my rights doesn't work, either. We have moral issues here at play....and guns are being used to promote a political outrage for the purpose of electoral advantage.

I am not where I can look it up at the moment, but does anyone know if there is a site that shows # of guns vs. # of gun deaths per state? It is my guess that Alaska would be high in the guns per capita and low in gun deaths per capita. If that is true then it could add an additional wrinkle in this debate.

I am not where I can look it up at the moment, but does anyone know if there is a site that shows # of guns vs. # of gun deaths per state? It is my guess that Alaska would be high in the guns per capita and low in gun deaths per capita. If that is true then it could add an additional wrinkle in this debate.

Actually, Alaska and Alabama, for that matter, are among the worst.

GunOwnership.png

GunOwnership2_1.png

Also, can we parse out the number of self inflicted, suicide gun deaths here? I've ran my fair share and I'd have to say they are factored into this narrative.

Archived