SI article = Whatever

Weagle98

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Confetti was pouring down on the Pro Player Stadium turf, and USC coaches and players stood on a makeshift stage at midfield preparing to accept the ADT Trophy when the chant rose from a small but devoted group of fans who had stayed until the bitter end.

"Back-to-back! Back-to-back!"

Then, just in case there was anyone out there still questioning the Trojans' accomplishment: "Auburn sucks! Auburn sucks!"

An understandable sentiment, but also unnecessary. In dismantling the supposed second-best team in the country 55-19, the USC Trojans left no doubt as to which was the best team in college football this season. If indeed this was the Game of the Century, perhaps Oklahoma can use the next 95 years to catch up.

The great 2005 Orange Bowl was no classic. It was a classic mismatch. The question isn't whether Auburn could have beaten the Trojans, but whether they would have suffered a less embarrassing fate than the Sooners.

Man I wish we could play USC.

Just the pollsters opinion, just like the SI writer. Wouldn't know for sure unless it was played on the field.

Enormous amounts of predictions by tv, writers, etc were way off this year on rankings and individual games.

I dearly love the fact that all of the "gurus" are FORCED to EAT their words.

AUBURN is THE BEST TEAM in AMERICA. NOBODY can PROVE otherwise. :au:

p.s. So usc beat a way overrated ok team...Who cares? :big:

Why taxman? Other than the Oklahoma game what game of theirs would you point to that would show their dominance? They had a good game, I'll give them that. That doesn't mean that they could do what they did to our D. People on this board point out our secondary has holes but they don't point out that our D line and LBs would have put a hell of a lot more pressure on Leinart. You don't know what the outcome would have been. So what, they put up 55 on Oklahoma... 34 from turnovers. I'm not saying AU would have defidently won. I'm just saying USC winning is not a lock like you state.

Why taxman?  Other than the Oklahoma game what game of theirs would you point to that would show their dominance?  They had a good game, I'll give them that.  That doesn't mean that they could do what they did to our D.  People on this board point out our secondary has holes but they don't point out that our D line and LBs would have put a hell of a lot more pressure on Leinart.  You don't know what the outcome would have been.  So what, they put up 55 on Oklahoma...  34 from turnovers.  I'm not saying AU would have defidently won.  I'm just saying USC winning is not a lock like you state.

136543[/snapback]

agreed!

[

I do not understand why everybody has to try and down play what You guys did this year..To me it is just another way to justify a system that is a failure in every way...Why can't poeple just say what is fact....Auburn is 13-0 in the best league in the country...USC destroyed Oklahoma..clearly one of the best teams in the country...it is a shame we did not get to see who realy is the best..And that's all that should be said...I may be a Bama fan but I respect any team that goes 13-0 in this league.. :hail:

all i can say is that most writers and prognosticators were wrong the entire season. almost all of them said OU was a better team than us. hell, 3 of the 4 guys covering the game for espn picked OU. 3 of the 4 panelist on around the horn did the same. so if the best sports writers in america (which the guys on AtH are supposed to be) and the best tv analysts can be so terrible wrong once, i have to reason to believe them when they say things like "there is no question who the best team in america is." like the old saying goes: fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me. i have no reason to believe that usc was any better than us b/c we proved our dominance twice as many times as they did (4 top ten wins against two). nothing a sports writer says can change that b/c they were horribly wrong about the top three teams already! war damn eagle, we're the best team in the nation.

I do not understand why everybody has to try and down play what You guys did this year..To me it is just another way to justify a system that is a failure in every way...Why can't poeple just say what is fact....Auburn is 13-0 in the best league in the country...USC destroyed Oklahoma..clearly one of the best teams in the country...it is a shame we did not get to see who realy is the best..And that's all that should be said...I may be a Bama fan but I respect any team that goes 13-0 in this league.. 

I agree. I believe that OK was way overhyped by all the pundits. The SEC is still the best conference. I know that many say that the conference was down this year, but it was down by normal SEC standards. I still believe that a down SEC is better than the PAC 1 or the BIG 2 this season. When AU beats 4 top 10 programs in one year that to me says it all. No one else can say that, so I am awarding AU the Clantontiger N.C. Congrats! :au:

all i can say is that most writers and prognosticators were wrong the entire season. almost all of them said OU was a better team than us.

136554[/snapback]

Lets not forget that 4 of the 6 computer polls had OU at #1. <_<

Got to love the wretched hive what is known as USC fans. They finally win the National Champions (The one that actually counts) and what do they do, chant Auburn Sucks....

Hmmm, sounds to me they have some priority problems.

Man I hate USC.

Well, let's just STOP PLAYING the games.

We can mail in heights, weights, 40-speeds, bench presses and by-position indicators and let the all-knowing sports writers tell us each week who would win.

Injuries could be determined by random-number generators and assigned types (break, sprain, etc.) to various positions.

How the heck do sportswriters get to be such experts in the first place? They make a statement and spend the rest of the year trying to justify it. They get entrenched with some hyped image and promote it because it's glamorous or catchy or fills some need. Nothing to do with reality.

Do I sound bitter? I am.

SI should know (as ever other writer should know), the associated property of football is not valid. Maine beat Miss. St. Miss St. beat UF. Would Maine beat UF? No frickin' way!!! I don't care how bad a game UF had, it wouldn't happen. So there's no way to say Auburn would have been a guaranteed loss, and whether that loss would have been less embarrrassing than OU's. Granted, CTT has provided us with some embarrassing losses in the past. Not this season my friend. We would have been well prepared.

I just hope that we wouldn't have done what we did against VT, and get way conservative with a 2 score lead. USC would be able to come right back on us. They would have stepped it up and found ways to move down the field. No question we would have provided a more competitve game. And I think a reasonable chance of winning (maybe not 50%, but not far off).

I love how stupid the media is.....

Everyone basically picks OU....and even with that says "It will be a close game no doubt"

Then follows up with "Auburn couldn't beat USC"

It's like people forgot that USC barely beat Stanford and OSU

Anyday, Anytime.....USC could lose

Just remember one score: 23-0. That was USC beating us at home last year. Yes, there were plenty of differences b/w then and now, but it was the same head coaches, same starting QB's, and many of the same players on both sides. We would have played better this year, and way better than the Sooners, but I still think USC would have pulled it out. And that really doesn't bug me. Being ranked ahead of every team in the nation but one ain't too bad. Hey, we can still rub this in the face of every UT fan, UGA fan, Bammer and corndog for a whole year!! :moon:

Wareagle83.... I would like for you to meet Al Borges. He is our new OC.

You cant compare the two years, we did beat USC in 86 shouldn't that count for something? Oh yeah Reggie had 9 yds rushing and White had 6 yds rushing and Leinart had 192 yds passing. You cant compare the 2 years.

Just remember one score: 23-0.  That was USC beating us at home last year.  Yes, there were plenty of differences b/w then and now, but it was the same head coaches, same starting QB's, and many of the same players on both sides.  We would have played better this year, and way better than the Sooners, but I still think USC would have pulled it out.  And that really doesn't bug me.  Being ranked ahead of every team in the nation but one ain't too bad.  Hey, we can still rub this in the face of every UT fan, UGA fan, Bammer and corndog for a whole year!!  :moon:

136583[/snapback]

2003..............................2004.......................Improvement

UGA 7-26...................UGA 24-6....................-19 to +18......(37 points)

LSU 7-31....................LSU 10-9....................-24 to +1........(25 points)

Ole Miss 20-24............Ole Miss 35-14.............-4 to +21.......(25 points)

UT 28-21...................UT 34-10

.................................UT 38-28 Avg. of 36-19...+10 to +17....(7 points)

USC 23-0...................??????????..................(????? points)

What's your point WaReAgLe83. A 25 point swing against LSU this year. I guess we should've been scared to play them, too, considering how bad they beat us the year before. Grow a pair!!!

USC is not as good as they looked and OK is not as bad. You can't go by just one game. USC came to play. Look at the LSU/GA game last year. GA stomped LSU but were they really that much better? I don't think so. To say USC is superior to AU just because of one game is narrow minded thinking. You should look at the entire season for both teams. I would say AU is very close to USC as is LSU is close to GA. USC played their best game of the year and OK played their worse. As a result you get the lop sided score.

SEC was 2-3 in bowls. Pac-10 was 2-2. But the SEC is sooooooo much better.

Nice OC you guys got. Where did he coach before? Thats right UCLA, a sorry Pac-10 school.

Nice non-conference schedule Auburn had this year.

The Trojans were no.1 all year. They had the bullseye on their back from the start. that has to count for something. Heck they won it last year.

55-19 over an undefeated team. Thats dominance. 16-13 over a team with 2 losses....shrug.

The point is you can make arguments til your blue in the face for both sides. The only way that any of these arguments can be settled is on the field. and that will never happen. So, enjoy your season and stop bitching about stuff you cant control. Bitch about the system that determines the national champion.

why the **** do you care how we feel. It's our business not yours we are allowed to bitch just like USC was allowed to bitch last year. You can't tell me us climing the NC this year is any different from ya'll climing it last year just b/c so hack journalist said so. So take your USC ass kissin to thier board we will bitch til we are blue in the face if we want to F OFF!!!!!

PS sorry mods he just pissed a preganant woman off

why the **** do you care how we feel.  It's our business not yours we are allowed to bitch just like USC was allowed to bitch last year.  You can't tell me us climing the NC this year is any different from ya'll climing it last year just b/c so hack journalist said so.  So take your USC ass kissin to thier board we will bitch til we are blue in the face if we want to F OFF!!!!!

PS sorry mods he just pissed a preganant woman off

136632[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome. So much for southern hospitality.

I am not a USC fan and I said the same thing last year to them. Its the system people!!! The point I was trying to make is dont disparage another team jsut becuz they went undefeted too and were no. 1 all year.

USC is a great team. Auburn is a great team. Its sad as sports fans that we dont get to see them play.

the sec was not 2-3 in bowls, AU, UGA and TENN won.. Bammer, LSU, and Florida lost... 3-3

dude, no one is taking anything away from usc.. we are just saying we belong right up there with them and for people to say we dont belong there is just as messed up as the bcs system.

we do agree the system is garbage though.

BoJ is generally a nice woman.. you'll have to forgive her potty mouth :P

SEC was 2-3 in bowls.  Pac-10 was 2-2.  But the SEC is sooooooo much better.

Actually SEC was 3-3 and Pac-10 was 3-2. At least we had 6 teams in the bowls.

Nice OC you guys got.  Where did he coach before?  Thats right UCLA, a sorry Pac-10 school.

Well actually he was coaching at Indiana when we got him. But yes he was an OFFENSIVE coordinator while at UCLA and Oregon. I have always been on the Pac-10 because of horrible defense, and only a couple of compitent offenses.

Nice non-conference schedule Auburn had this year. 

Your just showing your ignorance here. Read the mirad of articles regarding why 2 of the OOC teams were on our schedule. Then convince me that USC's in conference schedule was as hard as Auburn's.

The Trojans were no.1 all year.  They had the bullseye on their back from the start.  that has to count for something.  Heck they won it last year.

55-19 over an undefeated team.  Thats dominance.  16-13 over a team with 2 losses....shrug.

Since when is a win not a win. USC played well I give them that but doesn't mean that they would dominate Auburn. They didn't dominate VT earlier in the year. Way to generalize over one game. And last time I checked they didn't win last year I think LSU did. But wait are they saying it is ok to claim to be the best even though they don't play in the MNC game. Man that hypocritical.

The point is you can make arguments til your blue in the face for both sides.  The only way that any of these arguments can be settled is on the field.  and that will never happen.  So, enjoy your season and stop bitching about stuff you cant control.  Bitch about the system that determines the national champion.

136631[/snapback]

Hey you did say something somewhat intelligent. If you don't like our discussions then get your Pac-10 :homer: self off of an :au: website.

That being said, yea the system sucks.

Archived