Men vs. Middle Tennessee - game thread

WarTiger

Was hoping basketball season would help take the mind off of football season. Looks to be headed in the exact opposite direction. We have some good players this year, but they have no clue how to play together. Not looking forward to SEC play now if we can get outplayed by a middle of the pack conference USA team. Really hoping this game was an anomaly, which is possible considering the free throws. Big games ahead need some momentum

6 games into the year? Really? These guys just got done with finals and haven't played in a week and a half and played 6-2 MTSU down to the wire in a game that was very uncharacteristic of Auburn's numbers?? Chill out. Even great teams lose these games sometimes. My gosh guys 6 games into the year and we're already making assumptions about the entire season trend?

Played a 6-2 MTSU team down to the wire? Sure, but tey have zero wins against anyone worth anything at all in BBall and losses against the powerhouses of VCU and Murray State lol. We should have beaten them easily. Like I said, I hope it's an anomaly which is possible. We seem to have a lot of trouble lately once the adversity starts. Hope that trend reverses.

VCU is a very good team

And who did MTSU beat worth a darn? They lost to VCU at home. We beat MTSU by 16 last year. Do I think the coaches are doing something wrong? No. Do I think we are going to have the kind of season that makes me forget about football season and look forward to SEC play? Not at the moment. Could that change? Sure hope so.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kinda weird being the positive one here...

im in the same boat. Have had some people on here already upset with how it happened and assuming what will happen the rest of the season. We would've lost this game by 20 last year and 40 the year before.

We beat MTSU by 16 last year...

MTSU is full of juniors and seniors. Unless you are UK, UNC, Duke or Kansas and the like and and recruit super freshmen, that's how you make a run at and in the tournament regardless of conference. Experience is a very good indicator of success in CBB.

We have a few older guys but a lot of youth. We are gonna win some good games this year. We are also going to have some games like this that have the woulda, shoulda feel.

Basketball is a sport that you simply can't use single wins and losses to project a season. Good wins/losses are simply what they are ... Good wins/losses. This one is one the guys will kick themselves for.

I see a positive ... We had a bad habit of letting down at the end of the first half. Today we extended the lead at the end of the first half. That was positive. We laid an egg the first few minutes of the second half ... It was pretty even after that. We shot freethrows good all year and threw up at the line today. That was the difference.

I still don't get the bowers angst. All the dude did was put up nearly 20 points and boards - but I guess that is just pedestrian.

We have a few older guys but a lot of youth. We are gonna win some good games this year. We are also going to have some games like this that have the woulda, shoulda feel.

Basketball is a sport that you simply can't use single wins and losses to project a season. Good wins/losses are simply what they are ... Good wins/losses. This one is one the guys will kick themselves for.

I see a positive ... We had a bad habit of letting down at the end of the first half. Today we extended the lead at the end of the first half. That was positive. We laid an egg the first few minutes of the second half ... It was pretty even after that. We shot freethrows good all year and threw up at the line today. That was the difference.

I still don't get the bowers angst. All the dude did was put up nearly 20 points and boards - but I guess that is just pedestrian.

Bowers has his good and bad days like all of us. I don't think he is great at defensive but he does seem to draw a lot of fouls on offense. His FT shooting was above average today so gotta give him props for sure. Normally I would have wanted him to be out at the end of the game due to his FT shooting, but today was, in fact, an anomaly in this case as he was the best FT shooter on the court.

Was hoping basketball season would help take the mind off of football season. Looks to be headed in the exact opposite direction. We have some good players this year, but they have no clue how to play together. Not looking forward to SEC play now if we can get outplayed by a middle of the pack conference USA team. Really hoping this game was an anomaly, which is possible considering the free throws. Big games ahead need some momentum

6 games into the year? Really? These guys just got done with finals and haven't played in a week and a half and played 6-2 MTSU down to the wire in a game that was very uncharacteristic of Auburn's numbers?? Chill out. Even great teams lose these games sometimes. My gosh guys 6 games into the year and we're already making assumptions about the entire season trend?

Played a 6-2 MTSU team down to the wire? Sure, but tey have zero wins against anyone worth anything at all in BBall and losses against the powerhouses of VCU and Murray State lol. We should have beaten them easily. Like I said, I hope it's an anomaly which is possible. We seem to have a lot of trouble lately once the adversity starts. Hope that trend reverses.

VCU is a very good team

I think I just am tired of the whole one thing goes wrong and the world comes crumbling down mentality that some seem to have sometimes. That was more an attack on that, not on your post. My apologies for speaking a bit too soon, I do think this team has loads of talent and will figure it out before SEC play

9/20 free throws in regulation and we are tied. Been watching Auburn for years and we have problems shooting free throws from way back. I don't know what else to say.

Was at the game. A home game for MTSU for sure. Dunans was wayyyyy off. Lost this one at the foul line. They played hard, and that last Canty 3 had some friggin magic in it. And if you're cold natured, be glad you weren't at Bridgestone...you would've frozen.

I watched the game live in Nashville. The refs were bad and visibly wrong. Refs though always make bad calls that is part of the game. We lost today because of free throws and an early second half cold spell. We looked like a different team coming out of half, a bad one. We put it together but were too streaky in the end to win. We played ourselves out of this game. It is that simple but we are early in this season and this team will get better and be in the top half of the West.

Bridgestone - that is why BP wanted to play at a place like this - different atmosphere, odd circumstances (background depth, floor over the ice rink leading to cold conditions, etc...). He is also trying to set up games at BJCC and such. Let's see how we can do in these arenas like we might would see in tournament time - better to have played like this before getting to the tourney.

Last couple of games seemed like we came out slow and then got going. This game seemed to be a good start and then the slow part was the start of the second half - although we held close and Canty hit the shot to tie it, just semed we could not get over the hump in this game. I know there was bit of a break for finals and scuh, but I think this was the "builder" game to see how we could perform from a "funk" (more days break, finals, road game, odd arena etc...) No BP knows what to expect and how to build up for these type games in the future.

Free throws (or lack thereof) did hurt us and Dunans did not produce to his average. Good test to see how guys would perform under difficult circumstances. Could we have won the game - sure, but I think this is one of those games that we learn more by losing than by winning. And if a loss to MTSU is what keeps us out of the tourney, we probably would not go far in the tourney anyway.

We gotta figure out a way to play better defense. No way they should be able to get 85. Going to be tough with not many rim protectors underneath. Dunans having an off game didn't help either. But still lots to like. They were a good defensive team so we'll be able to score on about anyone it seems like. I think folks were getting a bit ahead of themselves with this team. NIT is the goal and I'm still thinking this team can do that.

I attended the game yesterday. Very good turnout for the Auburn fans I have to say. War Eagle!

The things that stood out to me for the game are that there wasn't much of a talent differential between the MTSU team and Auburn, if any. They played inspired and focused throughout much of the game and matched us athlete for athlete for the most part. What killed us most was the difference in FT %. We must have been South of 40% from the line, and I'm guessing they were North of 80%. Huge disparity.

Canty was absolute money from outside. We don't have an inside presence other than Bowers. We have some length, but not bulk. We did have pretty poor shot selection down the stretch, and had several opportunities to take open shots but declined, Dunans in particular.

Heck, other than losing a game we probably should have won, it was a pretty exciting game. Their big guy had a great game and their #11 was lights out from 3.

I think we'll get better as the season goes along, but some of these guys need to step it up and have some more confidence....and for Pete's sake, practice some foul shooting!

We gotta figure out a way to play better defense. No way they should be able to get 85. Going to be tough with not many rim protectors underneath. Dunans having an off game didn't help either. But still lots to like. They were a good defensive team so we'll be able to score on about anyone it seems like. I think folks were getting a bit ahead of themselves with this team. NIT is the goal and I'm still thinking this team can do that.

The new rules are a big factor in scoring right now.

The new rules are a big factor in scoring right now.

Yep....what was "good defense" a year ago is a PF this season. Until players get use to how the rules are interpreted, going to be a lot of foul shots...and then we will see more open shots which people will complain about when it's the other team getting them.

I attended the game yesterday. Very good turnout for the Auburn fans I have to say. War Eagle!

The things that stood out to me for the game are that there wasn't much of a talent differential between the MTSU team and Auburn, if any. They played inspired and focused throughout much of the game and matched us athlete for athlete for the most part. What killed us most was the difference in FT %. We must have been South of 40% from the line, and I'm guessing they were North of 80%. Huge disparity.

We were 11-24 for 45.8% , They were 20-30 for 66.7%

Canty was absolute money from outside. We don't have an inside presence other than Bowers. Really? Tyler Harris says hello. 14 points and 13 rebounds seems like a damn good inside presence. We have some length, but not bulk. We did have pretty poor shot selection down the stretch, and had several opportunities to take open shots but declined, Dunans in particular.

Heck, other than losing a game we probably should have won, it was a pretty exciting game. Their big guy had a great game and their #11 was lights out from 3.

I think we'll get better as the season goes along, but some of these guys need to step it up and have some more confidence....and for Pete's sake, practice some foul shooting! Do you honestly believe they don't practice this at EVERY practice? Really?

While free throw shooting wasn't as good as it has been other games this season, its very far from being the sole reason we lost the game yesterday. There were several turnovers late and a few of them were just unfortunate occurances (like the pass directly out of bounds) or not being aware of your surroundings (see Dunans getting stripped of the ball at the end of regulation when we had a chance to win it there). IMO, people blame free throw shooting way too much. We had opportunities to win the game in spite of the free throw shooting performance yesterday.

Canty was absolute money from outside. We don't have an inside presence other than Bowers. Really? Tyler Harris says hello. 14 points and 13 rebounds seems like a damn good inside presence. We have some length, but not bulk. We did have pretty poor shot selection down the stretch, and had several opportunities to take open shots but declined, Dunans in particular.

I think we'll get better as the season goes along, but some of these guys need to step it up and have some more confidence....and for Pete's sake, practice some foul shooting! Do you honestly believe they don't practice this at EVERY practice? Really?

While free throw shooting wasn't as good as it has been other games this season, its very far from being the sole reason we lost the game yesterday. There were several turnovers late and a few of them were just unfortunate occurances (like the pass directly out of bounds) or not being aware of your surroundings (see Dunans getting stripped of the ball at the end of regulation when we had a chance to win it there). IMO, people blame free throw shooting way too much. We had opportunities to win the game in spite of the free throw shooting performance yesterday.

What did Harris do exactly in the 2nd half when needed? Throw those stats up for me.

We had opportunities to win the game. I believe I stated that. We also took several poor shots and mishandled the ball late in the game. We also didn't play terribly good defense at times.

And of course they practice foul shooting....but putting a sub 46% clip during a game might....just....mean....you need a little more practice doesn't it nimrod? It wasn't just poor, it was horrid.

What did Harris do exactly in the 2nd half when needed? Throw those stats up for me.

2nd half he was i foul trouble and fouled out. But that doesn't eliminate the production we get from him every game. 5 games this season: Rebounds (12,7,4,12,13) 48 total. 9.6 average per game Points: (23,9.18, 21, 14) 85 17 pts per game. So, he's averaging nearly a double double. Singling out one half that maybe wasn't up to par doesn't help you either.

We had opportunities to win the game. I believe I stated that.

Actually in the post I quoted, NO you didn't.

We also took several poor shots and mishandled the ball late in the game. We also didn't play terribly good defense at times.

Mishandled the ball late, sure. Mistakes happen. Poor shots? None that I saw and yes I watched the entire game. Defense could have been better.

And of course they practice foul shooting....but putting a sub 46% clip during a game might....just....mean....you need a little more practice doesn't it nimrod?

I would be very careful of calling a mod names if I were you. That's not going to strengthen your stance here.

It wasn't just poor, it was horrid.

Bad, sure, horrid, NO. But again, not the only reason we lost the game yesterday either.

We had several poor shot selections late. You need to re-watch the game.

I couldn't care less if you are a mod, and I am not looking to strengthen any "stance". By all means, delete my account if you wish.

Sub 46% FT shooting is horrid, especially late in a close game and in OT. I never said it was the only reason we lost the game.

I don't believe you took the below statement as I intended it. You can translate it as "we had our opportunities and didn't cash in"...if that helps.

"Heck, other than losing a game we probably should have won..."

your opinion, not mine..

I couldn't care less if you are a mod, and I am not looking to strengthen any "stance". By all means, delete my account if you wish.

People that resort to name calling have already lost the discussion.

Sub 46% FT shooting is horrid, especially late in a close game and in OT. I never said it was the only reason we lost the game.

Your opinion not mine... It was an extremely large part of it in your previous posts. In fact it was the first thing you mentioned as reasons we lost. That was the basis for my response.

I don't believe you took the below statement as I intended it. You can translate it as "we had our opportunities and didn't cash in"...if that helps.

I never said I disagreed with that statement.

your opinion, not mine..

Yes it my opinion.

People that resort to name calling have already lost the discussion.

You resorted to snarkiness. I believe my reply, in turn, was warranted.

Your opinion not mine... It was an extremely large part of it in your previous posts. In fact it was the first thing you mentioned as reasons we lost. That was the basis for my response.

Had we even been 52% from the line, we might not have even had to go to OT. Down the stretch, they hit a high number of late FT's. We missed a very high percentage during the same stretch. The difference was huge late. Yes, that is my opinion and I absolutely stick to it.

I never said I disagreed with that statement.

No, but you said I didn't make it. I indeed did make the point.

Don't tempt me. You started this little skirmish when you decided to call him a nimrod. I'd be more sympathetic had he attacked you in some way, but you're the one with the issue here.

We had opportunities to win the game. I believe I stated that. We also took several poor shots and mishandled the ball late in the game. We also didn't play terribly good defense at times.

And of course they practice foul shooting....but putting a sub 46% clip during a game might....just....mean....you need a little more practice doesn't it nimrod? It wasn't just poor, it was horrid.

I'm not getting into all the other stuff but come on you can't take one HALF of a game from one of the leading scorers and rebounders on the team then come to a conclusion he's not a presence....That's crazy

I was at the game as well and I'm not going to get in too deep here. But I will say that while we do have our moments, we need to improve greatly. We are not a very good basketball team at this moment. I do think a lot of pieces are there. Defense is the first area of concern.

We have a lot of new players so it takes time to meld. Harris has been one of our most consistent players, Rebounding, scoring and just being a presence. We ask him to do a little to much so he sometimes has foul issues. Spencer our shot blocker and Mr. Hustle works hard needs to develop some offense will get better as season goes. Canty sweet stroke great player. Dunans a scorer who had one game where he couldn't miss from three point range hope that doesn't go to his head because he can be a great scorer and can shoot but is not a pure shooter. Bowers rebounds, scores, has improved his free throw shooting. Other players as they get healthy Brown, Williams, etc. will provide scoring and depth.

Team defense improves more you play together. When they press they force turnovers but they also give up some easy baskets this is a team that is learning to play together as a team we are going to have some surprisingly good days and some bad days. Individually best talent at Auburn in years now can they meld as a team and find a way to hide weaknesses. No down low defender against a good big man. No post presence. We score in the paint but not really from a down low post player.

We have the talent to become a solid team but it will take time and it may not happen until end of year or next year. But they will entertain you.

Yes, taking a one game snapshot and making a general statement about the season was in error with Harris. He's a good player with an unfortunately bad 2nd half against MTSU. I'll absolutely give you that.

Archived