Memphis player steals ball

NoALtiger

I'm okay with forgiving and moving on. You don't need to hear/accept a likely insincere apology to do that.

If you're suggesting it's punishment enough, I'd agree, though would go a bit farther and say it's punishment too much. If he's really learned his lesson, the best thing everyone can do -- for ourselves and for this kid -- is just forget this ever happened. Unfortunately, the fact that it was caught on video makes that impossible. The absence of the possibility of forgetting makes achieving moral perfection an impossible task. One's either already perfect, or there are witnesses who never forget everywhere.

Socrates lamented writing because of its deleterious effect on memory. We should feel the same way about the ubiquity of surveillance (including smart phones and social media) -- except the unintended target this time is our ability to forget.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm okay with forgiving and moving on. You don't need to hear/accept a likely insincere apology to do that.

If you're suggesting it's punishment enough, I'd agree, though would go a bit farther and say it's punishment too much. If he's really learned his lesson, the best thing everyone can do -- for ourselves and for this kid -- is just forget this ever happened. Unfortunately, the fact that it was caught on video makes that impossible. The absence of the possibility of forgetting makes achieving moral perfection an impossible task. One's either already perfect, or there are witnesses who never forget everywhere.

Socrates lamented writing because of its deleterious effect on memory. We should feel the same way about the ubiquity of surveillance (including smart phones and social media) -- except the unintended target this time is our ability to forget.

To steal or not to steal? That is the question!

It's hard to forget the incident whether it's on tape or not. Having the video does cement it in the memory a bit more. We can forgive and move on though.

It's hard to forget the incident whether it's on tape or not. Having the video does cement it in the memory a bit more. We can forgive and move on though.

Forget what?

and I carry a phone that's far smarter than I am (for whatever that's worth)

Growing older beats the alternative

Forget what?

and I carry a phone that's far smarter than I am (for whatever that's worth)

Growing older beats the alternative

Lol. Did someone steal a mall? How in the world do you steal an entire mall? Oh, nevermind.

I already forgot. He doesn't need my forgiveness. He needs the equipment guy who he mauled to forgive. He probably don't give a rip either.

Archived