We Need to Give Malzahn Time

Weegle777

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He had a lot more in his favor going into this year than next.

He has his work cut out for him that's for sure... We have Clemson and Alabama to bookend the schedule. Could be an ugly season in year four

With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour.

i see no more than 5 wins, at the most

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. How many wins did you see pre-season in 2013?

He has his work cut out for him that's for sure... We have Clemson and Alabama to bookend the schedule. Could be an ugly season in year four

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. How many wins did you see pre-season in 2013?

Him? He probably saw 3-4 wins

after they hired malzahn, not many, but he caught lightning in a bottle....how has it been since with his players and hires?

Doesn't matter if "we" wanna give him more time, he goes sub .500 next year he'll be gone. .500 and his seat will be red hot (unless bama is one of the wins). 8+ wins and he's good for another year.

and to AUWALT, that hapens once you win a NC, you were a fan during a 50 year NC drought.

Absolutely. Folks can stick their head in the sand if they choose, but if we go sub .500, there is no way Gus is retained. No SEC team- not even Vandy, will tolerate that type trajectory. Now having said that, I think we will have a respectable enough season that will allow us to maintain stability and positive momentum. I'm actually somewhat caustiously optimistic about our overall progress. Probably the new year and all. :)

If Gus can win more SEC games then he loses he will get that 5th year. If not well who knows what may happen. Last two years we have sucked in SEC games

Doesn't matter if "we" wanna give him more time, he goes sub .500 next year he'll be gone. .500 and his seat will be red hot (unless bama is one of the wins). 8+ wins and he's good for another year.

and to AUWALT, that hapens once you win a NC, you were a fan during a 50 year NC drought.

Absolutely. Folks can stick their head in the sand if they choose, but if we go sub .500, there is no way Gus is retained. No SEC team- not even Vandy, will tolerate that type trajectory. Now having said that, I think we will have a respectable enough season that will allow us to maintain stability and positive momentum. I'm actually somewhat caustiously optimistic about our overall progress. Probably the new year and all. :)

I think this is right...primarily because AU has had a succession of good recruiting classes....generally in the national top 10 or so....which means that AU has the players....thus with that kind of talent on hand, there is no reason for that level of performance.

If Gus can win more SEC games then he loses he will get that 5th year. If not well who knows what may happen. Last two years we have sucked in SEC games

Gus has beat either uga or spuat next year along with winning more SEC games than he loses. His loss to uga in 2014 was abysmal and his loss to a poor uga team in 2015 was embarrassing.

wde

next year will be his 4th year, that is enough time to get it right....we shall see

What are the conditions for you to say it's "right"?

at least 8 wins, decent bowl, score TD's in RZ instead of field goals....fundamentally sound playcalling, including throwing some on 1st down....finding plays that work, and sticking with them instead of going away from whats working...mainly, just coaching like a competent college football coach

With posts like this, why bother?

Ok. So say Gus loses five or six again. He gets fired. Who do we bring in and with what type of scheme? You guys seem to want him gone, but offer no solutions. Watcha got?

next year will be his 4th year, that is enough time to get it right....we shall see

at least 8 wins, decent bowl, score TD's in RZ instead of field goals....fundamentally sound playcalling, including throwing some on 1st down....finding plays that work, and sticking with them instead of going away from whats working...mainly, just coaching like a competent college football coach

I would argue that aside from the first two, the performance in the bowl game meets those qualifications.

5/5 in the red zone with 4 TDs. We kept running the plays that were working (as is evidenced by the rushing totals). There weren't too many headscratcher calls yesterday.

There are some inconsistencies in your expectations though. If the plays that work and that we should stick with are runs, why should we throw on 1st down - especially considering how hamstrung we were at Qb this year? That seems like you are wanting to throw it on 1st just for the hell of it, damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead into a badly thrown INT.

I don't think those expectations are unreasonable though. I do think we are closer to them than you would admit, however.

Yep

I would argue that aside from the first two, the performance in the bowl game meets those qualifications.

5/5 in the red zone with 4 TDs. We kept running the plays that were working (as is evidenced by the rushing totals). There weren't too many headscratcher calls yesterday.

There are some inconsistencies in your expectations though. If the plays that work and that we should stick with are runs, why should we throw on 1st down - especially considering how hamstrung we were at Qb this year? That seems like you are wanting to throw it on 1st just for the hell of it, damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead into a badly thrown INT.

I don't think those expectations are unreasonable though. I do think we are closer to them than you would admit, however.

no, were not....we were close to losing to jax state (and should have, to be honest) and kentucky, and if lamar harris had started for louisville, we would have lost to them.....we were closer to a 3 win season than you would probably like to admit

Again, solutions?

next year, the solutions will take care of themselves...next year,i think you will see,in plain sight, what i see in shadows now

Didn't answer the question. What coach and what scheme should we run?

Would you fire a coach who had this record his first four years:

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

That was Saban's record his first four at Mich. St.

4 years is not some magical mark to have won the National Championship.

You are smart enough to see why this logic is flawed right? Apples and Oranges comparison. He left them in much better shape then when he took over.

Also, I believe we will get back to actually winning SEC games next season.

no, were not....we were close to losing to jax state (and should have, to be honest) and kentucky, and if lamar harris had started for louisville, we would have lost to them.....we were closer to a 3 win season than you would probably like to admit

And we were just as close to winning vs Arky and UGA and Ole Miss and MSU and were in the game late to Bama. That's called football. Close games happen, and happen more often when you're not miles ahead of everyone else. Hell, Clemson had several games this year that they almost lost.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I find football to be much less miserable if you aren't so determined not to enjoy it.

And we were just as close to winning vs Arky and UGA and Ole Miss and MSU and were in the game late to Bama. That's called football. Close games happen, and happen more often when you're not miles ahead of everyone else. Hell, Clemson had several games this year that they almost lost.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I find football to be much less miserable if you aren't so determined not to enjoy it.

Almost only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes. That applies to both the "almost" loss and won crowd.

Again, solutions?

next year, the solutions will take care of themselves...next year,i think you will see,in plain sight, what i see in shadows now

The first thing we need to do is to get rid of Jacobs for putting out so many ridiculous buyouts. I think Gus deserves either two or three more years, not sure which right now. Regardless, I'm sure there will be some rising mid-major star. It'd be nice if Chad Morris turns SMU around.

Again, solutions?

if i were pacman jacobs and decided to "make it rain" on a coach, i would offer tom hermann 6-7 million to come and fix this mess.....he has really impressed me over the last two years, and just destroyed charles kelly's FSU defense yesterday....their QB was a converted WR,too.....as for DC, let him hire who he wanted

Again, solutions?

if i were pacman jacobs and decided to "make it rain" on a coach, i would offer tom hermann 6-7 million to come and fix this mess.....he has really impressed me over the last two years, and just destroyed charles kelly's FSU defense yesterday....their QB was a converted WR,too.....as for DC, let him hire who he wanted

And when he fails to live up to lofty expectations, complain that we overpaid for an unproven SEC coach.

I support Gus and I am a firm believer in continuity being part of the process in building success. I have said before that Gus needs to have at least 5 years to be able to demonstrate his true ability, I stand by that. 8 or 9 win seasons don't concern me as much as seeing improvement and continuity year to year. Continue to improve and those 8-9 win seasons become 10-12 win seasons.

But, the HC also needs to provide continuity, both for his players and the success of the program. Our defensive players are being subjected to their 3rd set of defensive coaches in the last 12 months. That is not continuity. I won't try to hide the fact I'm not too happy about that, but the die is cast so we have to move on and hope we have the continuity moving forward.

In my opinion, it is essential for Gus to address 2 very important issues.

1. Gus has got to find a good QB. It's obvious, it's not easy but it has got to be done. Whether he is already on the team or not, Gus has to find him. He has to search and bring in as many QBs as it takes to find that guy if that's what it takes. Anybody that doesn't like it can transfer, that's just the way it is.

2. Gus needs to decide what defense HE wants, what defense HE thinks works best with his offense. He can't allow his base defense to become whatever a DC just happens to like. He needs to make that decision, get a DC to run that defense, recruit to it and stick to it.

I support Gus, hope those 2 issues can be addressed ASAP and that we have a very successful 2016 season. We are very close to having all the pieces in place.

Archived