We Need to Give Malzahn Time

Weegle777

This won't be popular with the anti-Malzahn fan club, but in my opinion, we need to give Malzahn more than just the next two years at Auburn to right the ship.

(1) Malzahn has proven that if given the right players to run his system, especially a QB that is a definite threat to run, he is deadly. Without a running QB, you are essentially playing each play with 11 defenders against 9 offensive players. With a running QB, now you have 10 offensive blockers against 10 defensive players with the QB one on one with the 11th defender. A running QB levels the odds.

(2) The bama factor. If you look at the last few years in saban's tenure at bama, he generally struggles against teams where the QB is a threat to run. Look at the schedule results if you don't believe me. As much as we hate to admit it, getting to the SEC Championship and to the NC goes through turdtown. Malzahn has been a thorn in saban's side for a while.

(3) If we were to do what many Auburn fans want, and go back to the power sets on offense like we used to run, it would play into bama's hands and we wouldn't have a chance. And we would get destroyed in recruiting for that offense every year. Bad idea.

(4) Defense is getting better because we are starting to keep some consistency as far as scheme is concerned and it is showing. With the hiring of Steele, I believe that our D in 2016 will be filthy good with who we have returning.

(5) If Auburn jumps the gun and fires Malzahn if we have another three to four loss season next year, Auburn will be set back by another four years. We don't want that.

Auburn needs to relax and let Malzahn right this thing. He is our best option.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like it, Weegs. Happy New Year! Easy to forget the "Dynasty" has looked discombobulated at times, even under Little Nick.

This won't be popular with the anti-Malzahn fan club, but in my opinion, we need to give Malzahn more than just the next two years at Auburn to right the ship.

(1) Malzahn has proven that if given the right players to run his system, especially a QB that is a definite threat to run, he is deadly. Without a running QB, you are essentially playing each play with 11 defenders against 9 offensive players. With a running QB, now you have 10 offensive blockers against 10 defensive players with the QB one on one with the 11th defender. A running QB levels the odds.

(2) The bama factor. If you look at the last few years in saban's tenure at bama, he generally struggles against teams where the QB is a threat to run. Look at the schedule results if you don't believe me. As much as we hate to admit it, getting to the SEC Championship and to the NC goes through turdtown. Malzahn has been a thorn in saban's side for a while.

(3) If we were to do what many Auburn fans want, and go back to the power sets on offense like we used to run, it would play into bama's hands and we wouldn't have a chance. And we would get destroyed in recruiting for that offense every year. Bad idea.

(4) Defense is getting better because we are starting to keep some consistency as far as scheme is concerned and it is showing. With the hiring of Steele, I believe that our D in 2016 will be filthy good with who we have returning.

(5) If Auburn jumps the gun and fires Malzahn if we have another three to four loss season next year, Auburn will be set back by another four years. We don't want that.

+1

next year will be his 4th year, that is enough time to get it right....we shall see

Four years? So we give him four years and then fire him, then we are set back four more? Not a good plan for success.

Good points Weegs....BTW have you disconnected your phone and changed your e-mail address?.....expect you will find your self in the minority view however.

JMO but I bet a scientific poll of AU fans would find more than 50% voting "yes" to the question: If AU does not win 9 or more games next year, should Gus be replaced ?

As long as he realizes to play the best players and not let the hot hand dissapeer. Roc Thomas had a great first carry of the game and disappeared for almost 2 quarters. Melvin Ray, Uzomah, Lutz, Jason Smith, Marcus Davis, Tony Stevens and many others have all been underused.

i agree with this. we all know how bad we were and yet we were in most games.

Instant gratification is short term gratification. As long as Malzahn shows development as a coach he should be a long term deal.

In three years if he's still getting cute in the end zone and costing points, then there's a problem. I think he'll settle in though.

next year will be his 4th year, that is enough time to get it right....we shall see

Would you fire a coach who had this record his first four years:

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

That was Saban's record his first four at Mich. St.

4 years is not some magical mark to have won the National Championship.

Instant gratification is short term gratification. As long as Malzahn shows development as a coach he should be a long term deal.

In three years if he's still getting cute in the end zone and costing points, then there's a problem. I think he'll settle in though.

Against Memphis we were 5 for 5 in the red zone...and 4 were TDs.....that was a huge improvement....hope that carries over to the coming season.

Four years? So we give him four years and then fire him, then we are set back four more? Not a good plan for success.

The trend is poor. Throwing out 2013 as an outlier. 2014 to 2015 was terrible. If there is not improvement in 2016 then we have a problem at HC.

Yeah we saw what happened when we tried to go to the power set w/ loeffler - fortunately Malzahn's offense still crushes it down teams throat in a power set kind of way while allowing for athleticism to be more of a factor - people counter that argument by saying we want Art Briles - that's fair but I'm with you, I pray we stay w/ Gus even if we drop 4 next year as long as we can find the qb of the future in the midst of said potential losses..

the sign of a competent HC is a steady, upward trend, and seeing solid, fundamental play on the field.....this is not the case at AU....muschamp did his job and the defense slwly got better and developed a toughness and tenacity that i have not seen since tuberville left....the offense?.....the oline slowly developed and were pretty dang good at seasons end.....runningbacks were better than average....QB,WR ,gameplanning and playcalling?....you decide for yourself

I just plan to continue to enjoy being an Auburn fan like I have since the late 60's. I hate to see what some AU fans have become, in it for now and not in it for the long run.

People these days just want to blame someone for whatever in Life does not suit them.

He had a lot more in his favor going into this year than next.

He has his work cut out for him that's for sure... We have Clemson and Alabama to bookend the schedule. Could be an ugly season in year four

He has his work cut out for him that's for sure... We have Clemson and Alabama to bookend the schedule. Could be an ugly season in year four

it's going to be unbelievably tough. I'm interested in how Kevin Steele is going to tweak his defense given that surely dabo, nick, and les know some of his favorite tendencies perhaps not readily apparent on film. going to be tough.

With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour.

Agreed. Great post. We've seen what Malzahn can do. He hasn't just up and lost it. Defense getting better, offense just needs to execute and situational stuff needs to improve. That will.

Malzahn always gives Saban hell.

2009- should've beaten a better Alabama team

2010- hehehe

2011- were in game till fourth quarter..... MUCH better Bama team

2013- hehehe

2014- we all remember. D lost that for us

2015- were in it till the end of the fourth- Bama the better team but could've won game.

I don't know if I'd pick us to win the west, but we'll compete next year. Unless we get a qb. Then it's guns-a-blazin

With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour.

i see no more than 5 wins, at the most

Doesn't matter if "we" wanna give him more time, he goes sub .500 next year he'll be gone. .500 and his seat will be red hot (unless bama is one of the wins). 8+ wins and he's good for another year.

and to AUWALT, that hapens once you win a NC, you were a fan during a 50 year NC drought.

I think we need to suck it up and take our medicine. until CGM's contract is completed, and there are no big buyouts, I think we need to stick with him. I believe this will allow him to get fully entrenched as a college head coach, and will pay dividends. if it doesn't, we aren't paying another coach huge payouts to be unemployed......... I hate seeing us giving money away to disappointments, but I also believe CGM will get it right if given the right time.

PS, he better find a qb coach to develop talent. that's all

Archived