The Jay Jacobs Resume

RunInRed

So, basically, 9 years with Gottfried is why bama isn't in the dumper in basketball rankings.

This is not about Alabama man......This is about Auburn's athletic programs compared to the rest of the damn conference.

Somebody should be concerned about AUBURN for a change and not worried about how AU compares to UAT. WE are dead last in the SEC over the last decade in the 3 big sports - dead last and that has nothing to do uat. It is so obtuse to compare Auburn to uat when we share a conference with 13 other programs. :banghead:

Read the full discussion. I was comparing the two because the state of Alabama, more than any other in the SEC, has football on the brain and historically puts less emphasis on the other sports.

I disagree - LSU and Florida have football on the brain just as much as the teams in Alabama. Hell, only 2 months ago LSU tried to fire a consistant 10 win per season football coach. UGA succeeded in canning theirs when they finally woke up and decided they want better football.

Our Athletic Department appears to have been poorly managed for the last decade. I honestly didn't realize how bad things were until someone went to the trouble of putting together the program breakdown.

Common sense would lead one to believe that if you put all of your eggs in one basket (football) then that program would be able to string together a few 10 win seasons in that sport. It seems if you invest so much into one sport (football) then the AD would be able to get over the hump and get the damn stadium renovation started once and for all and put an end to the "feasibility studies" that we apparently just started this week.

If as you say Auburn/Alabama have football only on the brain and don't worry with the other sports.... then Auburn is in a world of hurt because they are not only kicking ass on the field but also in the facilties race. While AU sits and spins it's wheels "studying" what they need to do and how they need to finance it.

Florida is a HUGE baseball state, and neither Florida nor Louisiana can come close to comparing to the football mania that is the state of Alabama.

I'll also point out, as I know several have here, that outside of bama, Auburn is the most overall successful program in college football. Yes, we've had our snake-bit years,but no other team has been to 2 national championships in the past 5 years, and we did it when our rival was making an unprecedented run of championships.

I certainly don't disagree that several aspects of our athletic department are below standards. Part of that comes from the fact that the university is trying to focus on not being a football team first, especially after they were on SACS probation. A LOT of it, however, comes from the fact that, even with Lowder hiding in the weeds, the good ol' boy network is still thriving.

Still, I certainly don't want to see Auburn spend money they don't have unless they are certain they can get it. Auburn is already getting complaints about tuition costs, game ticket costs, etc. Burying ourselves, financially, just so we can have better facilities for sports isn't a good way to manage a university.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey lionheart,

If Standsbury was still coach at MSU, they would be the best team in the west. As far as baseball goes, they have way more history than AU baseball. It is my opinion that they have a better football coach than auburn. Their problem is where they are located. I beleive the problem with our AD is that he Only goes after like minded people. And this means that they have to be people who put faith at high priority. The exception maybe CBP.

Well when you take out aTm/Mizzou and get right down to the 12 SEC programs that have competed for the last decade it almost seems impossible for Auburn to be dead last. That's just sad.

Lack of priority/bad hires in basketball and baseball will do that to you. Look at Florida, they've made every major sport a priority and it shows. Then there are the "also rans" in the football world, who concentrate on baseball and basketball, since they know they are lacking in football.

Auburn and Alabama focus on football and it shows. Alabama just hasn't had the coaching turmoil that we've had in those other two sports. I would be willing to bet that, 10 years from now, the same list will show Auburn at or near the top, because the school and the fans have started to really care about the other sports, and we have good coaches in place.

I don't care about Alabama though..........Auburn is last behind the likes of OleMiss/MSU/Arkansas/SoCarl/Vandy and freaking Tennessee who hasn't done squat in years. It seems impossible for us to be in last place in the last decade - I feel like I've been blinded to our "entire" athletic program because we had a couple of really good football seasons in those 10 yrs.

I agree. We have had three great seasons since JJ took over as AD, however, we also have a losing record to LSU, UGA, and Bama. We have been mediocre more often than not. I see him as the reason we are not consistent in FB and are bad in most other sports. Yeah he hired Pearl but he has two bad hires before him and he only pulls from the Good ol'boy Network for our FB coaches. Personally if Malzahn was to get fired after next season I believe it would be safe to say JJ would pursue Muschamp to replace Gus. He sold half the Auburn family on a 5-19 Chizik selling Muschamp would be a piece of cake. I am not saying thats what I want, I would rather keep Gus, but Jacobs has only hired FB coaches who were coordinators at Auburn.

This is incredibly flawed logic. How can Jacobs be held responsible for the inconsistencies on the football field? That just doesn't compute. This is a prime example of what many of us say that is unfair in the judgement of Jacobs. Do people honestly believe he makes these hires already knowing how its going to unfold? Really? If he could see the future, he would probably be in a different line of work. Holding him responsible for that is just ludicrous but its a definite on the agenda list of the fire jacobs crowd. It's unfounded but its on their list.

Well when you take out aTm/Mizzou and get right down to the 12 SEC programs that have competed for the last decade it almost seems impossible for Auburn to be dead last. That's just sad.

Lack of priority/bad hires in basketball and baseball will do that to you. Look at Florida, they've made every major sport a priority and it shows. Then there are the "also rans" in the football world, who concentrate on baseball and basketball, since they know they are lacking in football.

Auburn and Alabama focus on football and it shows. Alabama just hasn't had the coaching turmoil that we've had in those other two sports. I would be willing to bet that, 10 years from now, the same list will show Auburn at or near the top, because the school and the fans have started to really care about the other sports, and we have good coaches in place.

I don't care about Alabama though..........Auburn is last behind the likes of OleMiss/MSU/Arkansas/SoCarl/Vandy and freaking Tennessee who hasn't done squat in years. It seems impossible for us to be in last place in the last decade - I feel like I've been blinded to our "entire" athletic program because we had a couple of really good football seasons in those 10 yrs.

I agree. We have had three great seasons since JJ took over as AD, however, we also have a losing record to LSU, UGA, and Bama. We have been mediocre more often than not. I see him as the reason we are not consistent in FB and are bad in most other sports. Yeah he hired Pearl but he has two bad hires before him and he only pulls from the Good ol'boy Network for our FB coaches. Personally if Malzahn was to get fired after next season I believe it would be safe to say JJ would pursue Muschamp to replace Gus. He sold half the Auburn family on a 5-19 Chizik selling Muschamp would be a piece of cake. I am not saying thats what I want, I would rather keep Gus, but Jacobs has only hired FB coaches who were coordinators at Auburn.

This is incredibly flawed logic. How can Jacobs be held responsible for the inconsistencies on the football field? That just doesn't compute. This is a prime example of what many of us say that is unfair in the judgement of Jacobs. Do people honestly believe he makes these hires already knowing how its going to unfold? Really? If he could see the future, he would probably be in a different line of work. Holding him responsible for that is just ludicrous but its a definite on the agenda list of the fire jacobs crowd. It's unfounded but its on their list.

Are you serious? Your position is that JJ can not be held responsible for the performance of the coaches he hires? If the team is inconsistent that reflects on the coaches, period. He hired the coaches. Am I missing something in your logic?

I am not in the fire JJ crowd at the moment. I think we need to see how things unfold in the near future.

Hey lionheart,

If Standsbury was still coach at MSU, they would be the best team in the west. As far as baseball goes, they have way more history than AU baseball. It is my opinion that they have a better football coach than auburn. Their problem is where they are located. I beleive the problem with our AD is that he Only goes after like minded people. And this means that they have to be people who put faith at high priority. The exception maybe CBP.

Yea, all I know about MSU is what their record shows, which is that they are below average across the board. I have to say, I TOTALLY disagree with you about their football coach. I believe Dak's departure, this year, will provide sufficient evidence to support my side of that issue. I, however, have no problem believing that they have been a better baseball program that Auburn.

I don't think faith is the only thing that the AD looks at. I think a lot of it has to do with whether they are going to listen to the board (a prerequisite since Tubberville) and, in the case of football, if Pat Dye signs off on them, both of which I think are holding us back. I do see that we have a tendency to go after Alumni or at least people who have Auburn ties. To me, that's the easy way of making sure that they are going to maintain the Auburn way of doing things (re: classy), but I would argue that the easy way isn't usually the best way, and there are plenty of people who have incredible talent and integrity, who have yet to connect with Auburn.

Are you serious? Your position is that JJ can not be held responsible for the performance of the coaches he hires? If the team is inconsistent that reflects on the coaches, period. He hired the coaches. Am I missing something in your logic?

I am not in the fire JJ crowd at the moment. I think we need to see how things unfold in the near future.

Jacobs is not responsible for inconsistency in the football program unless he's not firing coaches when they should be, or providing the program with any resources it needs to succeed, or involving himself more in the program than he should be. When you consider that he fired a coach only two years after he won a national championship and delivered another Heisman, he's obviously not retaining coaches after the point they should be fired. The football program pretty much gets whatever it wants, so he's obviously not holding back vital resources that the program needs. Is he more involved / meddling in the program? I don't know, and I don't think anyone here does either, so I can't expect to hold him to account for that. If anything, I'd be more inclined to believe that he has people dipping their fingers in his operations that shouldn't be, and that there's nothing he can really do about it.

Many thought he was crazy in 2009 for hiring Chizik, yet everyone thought he hit a home run by 2010. At the end of 2012 he was back to being thought crazy and/or an idiot. Then he looks like a genius again by the end of 2013 for hiring Malzahn. Now he is back to being thought an idiot again. There is no real science behind hiring coaches, and the regularity with which they are fired all over the country tells us that no athletic director is making perfect hires every time.

I'm sorry, but that's crazy to me to say an AD can't be held responsible for team performance. So, if an AD hires 5 coaches in a row that field inconsistent teams that's not on him at all? Just bad luck? Come on now.

I'm not saying it is always the AD's fault, but if they consistently hire coaches that struggle that is on them to some degree. People get fired over that stuff.

Once again, I am not advocating firing JJ.

Jacobs is not responsible for inconsistency in the football program unless he's not firing coaches when they should be, or providing the program with any resources it needs to succeed, or involving himself more in the program than he should be. When you consider that he fired a coach only two years after he won a national championship and delivered another Heisman, he's obviously not retaining coaches after the point they should be fired. The football program pretty much gets whatever it wants, so he's obviously not holding back vital resources that the program needs. Is he more involved / meddling in the program? I don't know, and I don't think anyone here does either, so I can't expect to hold him to account for that. If anything, I'd be more inclined to believe that he has people dipping their fingers in his operations that shouldn't be, and that there's nothing he can really do about it.

Many thought he was crazy in 2009 for hiring Chizik, yet everyone thought he hit a home run by 2010. At the end of 2012 he was back to being thought crazy and/or an idiot. Then he looks like a genius again by the end of 2013 for hiring Malzahn. Now he is back to being thought an idiot again. There is no real science behind hiring coaches, and the regularity with which they are fired all over the country tells us that no athletic director is making perfect hires every time.

There may not be a real science behind hiring coaches, but it is far from a coin flip. Some AD's have far better averages than others. There are a lot of variables involved in the hiring and maintenance of coaches so it is more difficult than following some known process. It takes some skills/knowledge that not all people can learn.

All I know is that Auburn athletics in the big 3 sports is dead last in the last decade. That fact is shocking to me. Some say it's because we place all of our focus on football. If that is the case, then it's even sadder that the one sport that gets all of the focus and attention has been in a decline for the last 14 months.

I would imagine hiring a HC is not that hard. DON'T hire a 5-19 coach. Honestly, Florida hiring Muschamp, UGA hiring smart, Vandy hiring Franklin, then hiring Mason. Hiring a coordinator is too risky. It may or may not pay off. Go after someone with a proven track record. Brett Bielema had 3 straight 10 win seasons. Butch Jones was successful at Central MIchigan and Cincinatti. Hugh Freeze built up Arkansas State. I think Gary Patterson would be a solid. Jim Tressel was at Youngstown State before OSU and won an FCS NC. Malzahn had one year as a HC before coming to Auburn. Might as well have never been a HC. Point is hire someone with 5+ years as a HC with more than one 10 win season. Guarantee that will lead to a more consistent program.

I would imagine hiring a HC is not that hard. DON'T hire a 5-19 coach. Honestly, Florida hiring Muschamp, UGA hiring smart, Vandy hiring Franklin, then hiring Mason. Hiring a coordinator is too risky. It may or may not pay off. Go after someone with a proven track record. Brett Bielema had 3 straight 10 win seasons. Butch Jones was successful at Central MIchigan and Cincinatti. Hugh Freeze built up Arkansas State. I think Gary Patterson would be a solid. Jim Tressel was at Youngstown State before OSU and won an FCS NC. Malzahn had one year as a HC before coming to Auburn. Might as well have never been a HC. Point is hire someone with 5+ years as a HC with more than one 10 win season. Guarantee that will lead to a more consistent program.

You do realize that Hugh Freeze was at Arkansas State for exactly as many years as Gus...1, and had the same record, right? Prior to that, Freeze's Head Coaching experience consisted of 2 years at an NAIA school. He wasn't even a coordinator prior to that, just a tight ends coach.

You do realize that Hugh Freeze was at Arkansas State for exactly as many years as Gus...1, and had the same record, right? Prior to that, Freeze's Head Coaching experience consisted of 2 years at an NAIA school. He wasn't even a coordinator prior to that, just a tight ends coach.

ouch

11 national championships across the board. That's 1 a year. Swimming and diving and equastrian power now. Actually heard my college professor mention Auburn being a power at swimming and diving and she wasn't even a fan. Took me by surprise. Non revenue is also getting consistently good. I'll take it. Football needs consistent winning. That is the one thing he has to get down to make people happy. Fair or not.

11 national championships across the board. That's 1 a year. Swimming and diving and equastrian power now. Actually heard my college professor mention Auburn being a power at swimming and diving and she wasn't even a fan. Took me by surprise. Non revenue is also getting consistently good. I'll take it. Football needs consistent winning. That is the one thing he has to get down to make people happy. Fair or not.

Swimming and diving is a shell of what it once was since David Marsh got tired of dealing with Jay Jacobs and his crony and bailed.

wde

How many programs even have equestrian?

ouch

How is that an ouch to my argument? Doesn't change the fact that Freeze still had two years more experience at a level above high school than Malzahn did before coming to the SEC. Was I wrong about Jones? Bielema? Tressel? All proven winners? Freeze did very well at a NAIA school with few resources. Gus can't say he did that.

ouch

How is that an ouch to my argument? Doesn't change the fact that Freeze still had two years more experience at a level above high school than Malzahn did before coming to the SEC. Was I wrong about Jones? Bielema? Tressel? All proven winners? Freeze did very well at a NAIA school with few resources. Gus can't say he did that.

Gus can say he took and SEC team to the national championship as a coordinator. Freeze can't say that because he was never a coordinator. Also, anyone with the slightest bit of knowledge will tell you that head coach in the NAIA and head coach in the SEC (or any part of NCAA division I) have almost no comparisons. That's like saying managing a McDonalds would prepare you to manage Google.

You were not wrong about Jones, Patterson, or Tressel, but it would be of benefit to your credibility to admit that Freeze is an example of how you can roll the dice on someone like Gus, Muschamp, Franklin and Smart and it can be a successful hire (though I do think he will suffer a drop off this year). I think in a shorter time than some of the doom and gloomers who think this season was a omen and not an anomaly want to believe, Gus will prove to have been a very smart hire, too.

ouch

Gus can say he took and SEC team to the national championship as a coordinator. Freeze can't say that because he was never a coordinator. Also, anyone with the slightest bit of knowledge will tell you that head coach in the NAIA and head coach in the SEC (or any part of NCAA division I) have almost no comparisons. That's like saying managing a McDonalds would prepare you to manage Google.

You were not wrong about Jones, Patterson, or Tressel, but it would be of benefit to your credibility to admit that Freeze is an example of how you can roll the dice on someone like Gus, Muschamp, Franklin and Smart and it can be a successful hire (though I do think he will suffer a drop off this year). I think in a shorter time than some of the doom and gloomers who think this season was a omen and not an anomaly want to believe, Gus will prove to have been a very smart hire, too.

You are right on rolling the dice. I used Vanderbilt as an example. First Franklin then Mason but you are more likely to succeed if you hire a proven winner. Malzahn was not and still is not a proven winner. He like Chizik have one great season to cling too.

When Hugh Freeze brings OM their first EVER 10 win regular season and somehow leads that team to their first EVER appearance in Atlanta for the SECCG, I'll give him some recognition as a better coach than Gus Malzhan. Until then, he's a decent coach and an elite recruiter.

When Hugh Freeze brings OM their first EVER 10 win regular season and somehow leads that team to their first EVER appearance in Atlanta for the SECCG, I'll give him some recognition as a better coach than Gus Malzhan. Until then, he's a decent coach and an elite recruiter.

But you have to admit, he's done more at Ole Miss than several seasoned coaches who proceeded him.

But you have to admit, he's done more at Ole Miss than several seasoned coaches who proceeded him.

Agreed

Preceded.

I admit he's hauled in some good recruiting classes. Looks like he could finish with a top 5 class this year. We'll see if all that talent can propel them better than 9 regular season wins this year.

Preceded.

Thanks... spelling has never been my forte.

Preceded.

Thanks... spelling has never been my forte.

Stop speaking Italian

Archived