Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

Ok I never got to see Jimi in concert got close one time just could not work it out. Dawn girlfriend at the time. As for this song no one really knows for 100% sure what or who this is about or really means.

• Love 1

Ok I've never done this on this thread but I'm going to list my top solo acts I've seen in concerts. Keep in mine these are the one I've seen in person

1 Jim Croce- Mississippi State College for Women in Columbus, MS

2 Cat Stevens- Tampa FL

3 Bob Dyan- Atlanta

4- Bruce Hornsby- Atlanta

5- Chuck Berry- Ft. Lauderdale

Honorable mention

James Brown, Little Richard, Ray Charles, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Johnny Cash, Bo Diddley, David Bowie, Jerry Lee Lewis,  Yes I've seen all in concert and many more that are just as great but I have my reasons for listening my top five. 

Top five I never seen in concert

1 Buddy Holly w/o doubt my #1 of all time

2 Steve Wonder

3 Muddy Waters

4 Hank Willams

5 Sam Cooke

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 1:19 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I wish I was in a...

I told Mrs. Loof that one of the things that sucks most about still going into the office is that I've been practicing for quarantine my entire life and I am perfectly constructed to sit on my ass at home, yet here I am on social media at the office reading all these type A folks whine about being stuck at home.

• Haha 2

On 3/21/2020 at 1:09 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

He name drops Pinkie Masters in this. That's where I used to do liquid lunch every Thursday. One of the best bars in the country. I hope they make it through this. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, augolf1716 said:

Bruce is one of my top five sole acts great in concert. Love his voice 

Saw him once on the Further tour in Live Oak, FL. It was one of the best sounding concerts I've ever attended. Hard to articulate just how clean and pure and perfect he is live. Damn near cried during The Way It Is

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 9:57 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

HOLY s***. That version is filthy! 

As someone said on twitter, "Kenny Rogers dippin in the middle of a global pandemic is the most you got to know when to fold them s*** ever."

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2020 at 8:49 PM, augolf1716 said:

Ok I've never done this on this thread but I'm going to list my top solo acts I've seen in concerts. Keep in mine these are the one I've seen in person

1 Jim Croce- Mississippi State College for Women in Columbus, MS

2 Cat Stevens- Tampa FL

3 Bob Dyan- Atlanta

4- Bruce Hornsby- Atlanta

5- Chuck Berry- Ft. Lauderdale

Honorable mention

James Brown, Little Richard, Ray Charles, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Johnny Cash, Bo Diddley, David Bowie, Jerry Lee Lewis,  Yes I've seen all in concert and many more that are just as great but I have my reasons for listening my top five. 

Top five I never seen in concert

1 Buddy Holly w/o doubt my #1 of all time

2 Steve Wonder

3 Muddy Waters

4 Hank Willams

5 Sam Cooke

That is an amazing list. My goodness.

My only regret in terms of live music is focusing too much on the jam band scene in the 90s and early aughts instead of branching out more. It did lead me to a lot of good jazz, funk, bluegrass, blues, etc. And it did lead me to focus more on live music in general.

One of my best concert experiences was out on the west coast. Had spent the summer in Montana and me and some buddies were driving back to the SE via the PNW. Were on our way from Seattle to the Oregon coast and heard on the radio that Santana was playing in Portland that night. Took a left instead of a right. A buddy from Montana lived in Portland and gave me his roommate's number in case we went through town and needed a place to stay. So pretty soon we were doing whiskey shots with a guy that went by Bama and partaking of other regional pleasures. Next thing we know we're watching Rusted Root open for, and then do an extended second set jam with Santana. This was pre-Smooth.  The guys we were staying with had a party that night. Ah, youth. 

• Like 1

Sorry for all the posts and personal anecdotes, gang. Just indulging in a little therapy. 

Golf got me thinking about Jimi. One of the great tragedies in all of rock'n'roll history is Band of Gypsys not getting a full run together. Like, this was their only concert. Jesus Christ, the possibilities. Yes, I've probably posted this before (vid and commentary). But hopefully not in a long time. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That is an amazing list. My goodness.

My only regret in terms of live music is focusing too much on the jam band scene in the 90s and early aughts instead of branching out more. It did lead me to a lot of good jazz, funk, bluegrass, blues, etc. And it did lead me to focus more on live music in general.

One of my best concert experiences was out on the west coast. Had spent the summer in Montana and me and some buddies were driving back to the SE via the PNW. Were on our way from Seattle to the Oregon coast and heard on the radio that Santana was playing in Portland that night. Took a left instead of a right. A buddy from Montana lived in Portland and gave me his roommate's number in case we went through town and needed a place to stay. So pretty soon we were doing whiskey shots with a guy that went by Bama and partaking of other regional pleasures. Next thing we know we're watching Rusted Root open for, and then do an extended second set jam with Santana. This was pre-Smooth.  The guys we were staying with had a party that night. Ah, youth. 

What did you think of him? Saw him a couple of time and was somewhat disappointed

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

What did you think of him? Saw him a couple of time and was somewhat disappointed

I really enjoyed it, but I think a lot of that had to do with his band, and Rusted Root was really good, and it was all just kind of this big surprise that we were even there, etc. Oh, and we were partying our asses off. 

He's such a weird guy. 

But the music was really good. His bass player in particular was sick. He and the bass player from RR had a bass-off that was a lot of fun. One of those shows that part of me wishes had happened in the last 10 years so that there would be footage of it somewhere. Here's the setlist though:

RIVER QUEEN SHOWPLACE
PORTLAND, OR 9/05/1997
1. SPIRITUAL/ YALEO
2. BROTHERHOOD/ EVERYBODY’S EVERYTHING
3. DAY OF CELEBRATION
4. SERPENTS AND DOVES
5. BACALAO CON PAN
6. *EXODUS
7. *MAKE SOMEBODY HAPPY/ GET IT IN YOUR SOUL
8. IF 60’S WAS 90’S/ BLUES FOR SALVADOR
9. GUAJIRA
10. APACHE/ SANTANA SANDWICH

*WITH RUSTED ROOT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry for all the posts and personal anecdotes, gang. Just indulging in a little therapy. 

Golf got me thinking about Jimi. One of the great tragedies in all of rock'n'roll history is Band of Gypsys not getting a full run together. Like, this was their only concert. Jesus Christ, the possibilities. Yes, I've probably posted this before (vid and commentary). But hopefully not in a long time. 

I can’t find a good download of “Burning of the Midnight Lamp” but that and “Hear My Train A-Comin” are my top two Jimi songs.  The Podcast “27” has a series about Hendrix’s life and death. It’s a cast about the many musicians who died at 27: Joplin, Hendrix, Cobain, ...etc 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 10:28 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

That could be its own thread.

Guilty pleasures are a thing. For instance, I heard this tune as a bumper for one of my favorite talk radio shows(The Bonfire with Dan Soder and Big Jay Oakerson XM95-Comedy Central). I felt dirty after Shazaming it. 

I’ve never seen Grease. But this tune is groovy as ****. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Guilty pleasures are a thing. For instance, I heard this tune as a bumper for one of my favorite talk radio shows(The Bonfire with Dan Soder and Big Jay Oakerson XM95-Comedy Central). I felt dirty after Shazaming it. 

How did I not know this was Frankie Valli. I agree, this is a banger.

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I can recite almost every line of that movie..

4A457746-A200-4C54-954F-CFA59CD39098.gif

*ETA- I feel like my phone is loaded with guilty pleasures. I’m an impulse buyer of songs. Ear worm hoarder.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1

I love to occasionally go through my “what is that song” app(SoundHound for me) every 6 months or so and look at the songs I’ve searched for. Sometimes is clearly a ‘WTF was I thinking‘, and others is a ‘damn that’s a good song’!

20 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I love to occasionally go through my “what is that song” app(SoundHound for me) every 6 months or so and look at the songs I’ve searched for. Sometimes is clearly a ‘WTF was I thinking‘, and others is a ‘damn that’s a good song’!

SHAZAM! I do this also. It's very encouraging to know there are others.