Jr Day #2 (Feb. 20th)

ellitor

Georgia DB C.J. Miller ...

Cb2DO0wW0AAZ4Xc.jpg

“I’m leaning toward Auburn after this visit,” Miller said. “I like the coaching staff. It’s a good coaching staff. I really liked the visit, just being around everybody. It felt like family.”

https://auburn.n.rivals.com/news/georgia-db-has-au-on-top-after-visit

Recruiting Question:

How does the AU staff handle early commitments compared to other schools? Just like last year, we appear to be in the lead with several guys that have visited us on multiple occasions. Does the AU staff not push them for a commitment like other schools do? Im not by any means hitting the panic mode, but it would be nice to go ahead and get these guys committed to Auburn before another school swoops in and steals the day.

Recruiting Question:

How does the AU staff handle early commitments compared to other schools? Just like last year, we appear to be in the lead with several guys that have visited us on multiple occasions. Does the AU staff not push them for a commitment like other schools do? Im not by any means hitting the panic mode, but it would be nice to go ahead and get these guys committed to Auburn before another school swoops in and steals the day.

A lot of these guys are lower rated players who might be backup plans or guys we're waiting to see how they pan out. If we felt more sure about them we might push them a little harder for a commitment

Recruiting Question:

A lot of these guys are lower rated players who might be backup plans or guys we're waiting to see how they pan out. If we felt more sure about them we might push them a little harder for a commitment

Just to clarify, I'm referring to the following....

ATH - Tray Bischop

OL - Netori Johnson

DT - MJ Webb

DE - Ryan Johnson

LB - Will Ignont

LB - Markail Benton

CB - Tre Shaw

Recruiting Question:

Who did we lead w/ around this time or a little earlier last year? Only 1 can think of was Julian Rochester. When Boom goit here though he did not like JR as a recruit.

No matter the time frame, every school including AU pushes for commits on some level if the player is a take. If we led for some this time last year & did not push then they weren't takes then. 1 from last Summer was Mbem-Bosser. He was very high on AU in the Summer but was never a take.

As for the 9 LBs we lead for now they aren't all takes. I can't remember which names but I know at least 2 of the them has to camp at AU & do well before their offers would be committable.

Recruiting Question:

Who did we lead w/ around this time or a little earlier last year? Only 1 can think of was Julian Rochester. When Boom goit here though he did not like JR as a recruit.

No matter the time frame, every school including AU pushes for commits on some level if the player is a take. If we led for some this time last year & did not push then they weren't takes then. 1 from last Summer was Mbem-Bosser. He was very high on AU in the Summer but was never a take.

As for the 9 LBs we lead for now they aren't all takes. I can't remember which names but I know at least 2 of the them has to camp at AU & do well before their offers would be committable.

E.J. Price was definitely a take this time last year and we were the early leader. We did not back off until after a summer camp.

Others that come to mind last year that I thought should have been committed early were Julian Rochester, Antonneus Clayton, & JoeJuan Williams. As you said they were not takes at that time. I think we could have landed these guys, but our staff chose to go in different directions. Time will tell if that turned out to be a good decision.

My main concern is guys like Tre Lamar and Jonah Williams. These were guys that committed to a school and shut down their recruitment. I think we had a great shot at landing both players, and they would have changed our recruiting class for the better. But we slow played Jonah Williams and couldn't close the deal with Tre Lamar. I just hope that we aren't slow-playing some of these guys. I understand that you want guys to be sure that they are making the right decision. And I know that there are going to be de-commits if you get a commit too soon, but I would love to see us lock up some of these guys early that are said to be AU leans.

I am encouraged that we are offering so many linebackers. Hopefully some of these lower rates guys will turn out to be studs. Locking down Ignont & Benton before Big Cat Weekend should be our top priority.

Recruiting Question:

E.J. Price was definitely a take this time last year and we were the early leader. We did not back off until after a summer camp.

Others that come to mind last year that I thought should have been committed early were Julian Rochester, Antonneus Clayton, & JoeJuan Williams. As you said they were not takes at that time. I think we could have landed these guys, but our staff chose to go in different directions. Time will tell if that turned out to be a good decision.

My main concern is guys like Tre Lamar and Jonah Williams. These were guys that committed to a school and shut down their recruitment. I think we had a great shot at landing both players, and they would have changed our recruiting class for the better. But we slow played Jonah Williams and couldn't close the deal with Tre Lamar. I just hope that we aren't slow-playing some of these guys. I understand that you want guys to be sure that they are making the right decision. And I know that there are going to be de-commits if you get a commit too soon, but I would love to see us lock up some of these guys early that are said to be AU leans.

I am encouraged that we are offering so many linebackers. Hopefully some of these lower rates guys will turn out to be studs. Locking down Ignont & Benton before Big Cat Weekend should be our top priority.

I understand how you feel.

EJ screwed himself for a while w/ repeated behavioral issues including how he was @ BCW, which is when we backed off. If he had not changed those issues he would have never been a take for AU. We never slow played Tre Lamar. Clemson was in on him 1st, always led or co-led, & beat us straight up.

You have to slow play many recruits this time of year. Coaches have a hierarchy on their targets & must be consistent w/ that until they change that target list hierarchy. You don't take kids just because you lead w/ them if you have other targets higher on the board you feel you have a real shot at. Look at the 9 LBs we lead with right now. 3-4 are not takes because they are not in the top 4 or 5 on the staff's priority list right now. Yes that means they are being slow played.

Archived