Trust in opening up the playbook

StatTiger

Lane kiffen has a freak athlete at tight end though...But I agree we need to use ours better. Don't think we really had an impact player last year but we DEFINITELY under utilized CJ

Lane kiffen has a freak athlete at tight end though...But I agree we need to use ours better. Don't think we really had an impact player last year but we DEFINITELY under utilized CJ

I agree but while CJ was not OJ Howard, he was totally under used.

wde

Not to mention, Kiffin barely used OJ before the last few games, and was persuaded by Saban to get him more involved.

However, we definitely need to open up and utilize more of our weapons on offense.

Well stated StatTiger. I'm on board with most everything you laid out. I was hoping we'd get to see more of Cox and perhaps Harris in the passing game last season. Maybe the HB's and TE's have gotten enough experience that Gus can feel more comfortable giving them some packages.

It seemed as though we pared down the offense so much last season, it became a major contributor in our lack of success. I do hope we open it back up in 2016.

I don't think we should hold our breath for this. I think everyone would like to see Gus do this but he really hasn't done that ever, even hen he has guys good enough to be at the position in the NFL so I don't see why he would start incorporating them into the offense more now.

Something to watch for in 2016 is the use of Pettway and Cox in the passing game. At Tulsa, Malzahn utilized Charles Clay in the HB role and he caught 69 passes in 2007 and 38 in 2008. During the 2009 season, Malzahn utilized Mario Fannin and Eric Smith in the HB role and they combined for 59 receptions that season but only 22 the following year.

Agree. If Gus does not use the HB in the passing game and hopefully realize that a good TE can be a great weapon (Lane Kiffen is an excellent example of using a TE so hopefully Gus watched the spuat/Clemson game) this season. Gus needs to open his playbook and earn his O guru label this season.

wde

Not much options at TE in 2015 but spread oriented offenses rarely utilize the TE in the actual passing game. Auburn will be in better shape in terms of options at TE in 2016. I was hoping Herb Hand might have an influence here but West Virginia under CRR, threw less to the TE than Malzahn.

Well stated StatTiger. I'm on board with most everything you laid out. I was hoping we'd get to see more of Cox and perhaps Harris in the passing game last season. Maybe the HB's and TE's have gotten enough experience that Gus can feel more comfortable giving them some packages.

It seemed as though we pared down the offense so much last season, it became a major contributor in our lack of success. I do hope we open it back up in 2016.

Laye and Harris just were not physically ready last season. Harris is having a good camp and Rice too. Auburn is in better shape going into 2016 than 2015. Something to consider is the starting QB. Should JFIII start, AU likely utilizes the TE less passing. Should White or JJ start, the TE will be used more in the pass offense. This is based on his previous Auburn offenses.

Laye and Harris just were not physically ready last season. Harris is having a good camp and Rice too. Auburn is in better shape going into 2016 than 2015. Something to consider is the starting QB. Should JFIII start, AU likely utilizes the TE less passing. Should White or JJ start, the TE will be used more in the pass offense. This is based on his previous Auburn offenses.

Yes, I would agree. It's one of the reasons I'd like to see White or JJ take the helm as opposed to JF3. The more weapons we can get involved, the more balanced, unpredictable and wide open the offense. Last year was a stagnant mess of predictability and inefficiency.

I don't think we should hold our breath for this. I think everyone would like to see Gus do this but he really hasn't done that ever, even hen he has guys good enough to be at the position in the NFL so I don't see why he would start incorporating them into the offense more now.

Something to watch for in 2016 is the use of Pettway and Cox in the passing game. At Tulsa, Malzahn utilized Charles Clay in the HB role and he caught 69 passes in 2007 and 38 in 2008. During the 2009 season, Malzahn utilized Mario Fannin and Eric Smith in the HB role and they combined for 59 receptions that season but only 22 the following year.

Agree. If Gus does not use the HB in the passing game and hopefully realize that a good TE can be a great weapon (Lane Kiffen is an excellent example of using a TE so hopefully Gus watched the spuat/Clemson game) this season. Gus needs to open his playbook and earn his O guru label this season.

wde

Not much options at TE in 2015 but spread oriented offenses rarely utilize the TE in the actual passing game. Auburn will be in better shape in terms of options at TE in 2016. I was hoping Herb Hand might have an influence here but West Virginia under CRR, threw less to the TE than Malzahn.

But according to some on various message boards.... (1) Gus is an offensive genius and (2) Gus does not run a spread O. If Gus is a true O genius, should he not intuitively just realize that using a TE can be effective and at least try to use that position even if options are limited (that fits for 2015 but not for when CJ was the TE)? So, since we are in better shape in terms of options at TE in 2016, what will be your opinion if Gus, once again, does not utilize the TE position to at least be something more than a position taking up space on the O?

wde

But according to some on various message boards.... (1) Gus is an offensive genius and (2) Gus does not run a spread O. If Gus is a true O genius, should he not intuitively just realize that using a TE can be effective and at least try to use that position even if options are limited (that fits for 2015 but not for when CJ was the TE)? So, since we are in better shape in terms of options at TE in 2016, what will be your opinion if Gus, once again, does not utilize the TE position to at least be something more than a position taking up space on the O?

If the 2016 produces the same averages from 2009, 2010, 2013 or 2014, I will be happy.

wde

If the 2016 produces the same averages from 2009, 2010, 2013 or 2014, I will be happy.

Which O in those years you referenced had a QB that was developed by Gus and other than 2010 and 2011, which one used a TE effectively?

wde/

wde

Which O in those years you referenced had a QB that was developed by Gus and other than 2010 and 2011, which one used a TE effectively?

wde/

Why do you ask? IMO, what transpired in the past won't mean much in 2016. If Auburn has an offense that averages at least 425 yards and 35 ppg, Auburn should be in position to win 9+ games.

Archived