$10 minimum wage costing Mass. jobs

TheBlueVue

I just heard a local story on the radio about how some fast food workers are protesting, wanting a $15 minimum wage. One lady interviewed said that she could not make ends meet and feed her 10 kids on what they are paying her.

Repeat - her 10 kids.

Why in the hell is it OUR responsibility to pay for her life choices?

First, her life choices are stupid, I agree. But I have a question on this:

What do you propose to do about the kids? Obviously the kid had no say in this. They were born into the family they were born into. It's not their fault their mom is too dumb to abstain from sex or use birth control to limit the number of kids she has. So what do you propose we do? Let them starve? Pull them out of the home and put them in foster care or an orphanage? There's a ton of money associated with either of those options too.

The bottom line is, they are kids and its not their fault they exist or that their mom is who she is and didn't plan. They still need to be taken care of unless you're proposing letting them starve and casting them into the streets.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 kids or no kids, it really doesn't make a difference. Her choices are her choices. Oh yeah, she also mentioned that she was on food stamps too. Give me give me give me

Since we are using extreme cases to support our arguments...

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/maria-fernandes_n_5732230.html

The result of her poor choices, and some really biased reporting.

Her poor choices? Stop. You really piss me off.

10 kids or no kids, it really doesn't make a difference. Her choices are her choices. Oh yeah, she also mentioned that she was on food stamps too. Give me give me give me

Yes they are, but unlike other kinds of choices, these choices are people. Defenseless people who can't take care of themselves and have no culpability in her choices. What are you going to do about them? If you decide you she shouldn't get paid more so she can take care of them, then we're discussing social programs like food stamps, housing assistance, etc. Are you suggesting we cut her off? Well, cutting her off doesn't just affect her, it affects the kids. Are you suggesting they starve and be out in the street?

Get specific. What are you proposing be done now that she has 10 kids?

Too bad. It was unfortunate, tragic, regrettable, but whether you have one job , zero jobs 4 jobs - you still don't get to sleep in the car that's running with the windows up. Generally that will cause you to die if there's not proper ventilation. Sorry.

Too bad. It was unfortunate, tragic, regrettable, but what do you have one job , zero jobs 4 jobs - you still don't get to sleep in the car that's running with the windows up. Generally that will cause you to die if there's not proper ventilation. Sorry.

Ha well I've slept in em many times when in open space, whether the car being on the move, or just catching some zzz' s on my lunch break.

Maria Fernandes, 32, of Newark, died Monday from a mix of carbon monoxide and fumes from an overturned gas container that she kept in her 2001 Kia Sportage , the New York Daily News reports.

That is what killed her. Not working 4 jobs

Maria Fernandes, 32, of Newark, died Monday from a mix of carbon monoxide and fumes from an overturned gas container that she kept in her 2001 Kia Sportage , the New York Daily News reports.

Did somebody suggest that working four jobs made her croak? I can read the article, too....

I believe the fact that she worked four jobs is alarming enough. Needing a nap is understandable.

I just heard a local story on the radio about how some fast food workers are protesting, wanting a $15 minimum wage. One lady interviewed said that she could not make ends meet and feed her 10 kids on what they are paying her.

Repeat - her 10 kids.

Why in the hell is it OUR responsibility to pay for her life choices?

Was she the mother of all of them?

When is the last time anyone here heard of an American dying of starvation due to lack of food? If it is not happening then why do we need to double the minimum wage? To me, the purpose of a minimum wage should only be to keep people from being blatantly exploited (you know, like we do illegal immigrants).

Also, maybe people who cannot afford to raise children should save up for having them before getting pregnant. Accountability anyone?

Do we really need to use starvation deaths as the metric?

• 1 in 6 people in America face hunger.
  • The USDA defines "food insecurity" as the lack of access, at times, to enough food for all household members. In 2011, households with children reported a significantly higher food insecurity rate than households without children: 20.6% vs. 12.2%.
  • Food insecurity exists in every county in America. In 2013, 17.5 million households were food insecure. More and more people are relying on food banks and pantries. Collect food outside your local supermarket for a local food bank. Sign up for Supermarket Stakeout GL.
  • 49 million Americans struggle to put food on the table.
  • In the US, hunger isn’t caused by a lack of food, but rather the continued prevalence of poverty.

https://www.dosometh...about-hunger-us

Did somebody suggest that working four jobs made her croak? I can read the article, too....

I believe the fact that she worked four jobs is alarming enough. Needing a nap is understandable.

The article overtly implied it. That's not debatable. It was the whole point of the article, by stating how overworked she was. It wasn't relevant to the story. Yet it was front and center in the story.

" A New Jersey woman who worked four jobs to make ends meet has died while napping in her car between shifts."

The story and headline should read that a woman died while napping in her car when gasoline can tips over

The article overtly implied it. That's not debatable. It was the whole point of the article, by stating how overworked she was. It wasn't relevant to the story. Yet it was front and center in the story.

It is relevant. Being overworked was the reason why she slept in the damn car.

" A New Jersey woman who worked four jobs to make ends meet has died while napping in her car between shifts."

The story and headline should read that a woman died while napping in her car when gasoline can tips over

LMAO. Why am I the only one that laughs at your stupidity.

So ? She could have worked one job and slept her car.

Sleeping in her car isn't what killed her, it was the tipped over Gas can. How she didn't notice, or why she even kept that in the car in the first place, are different questions.

Jeff - nothing I said was "stupid". You're just not use to hearing the facts. I guess you enjoy being lied to. The story is being spun, to present a specific narrative.

So ? She could have worked one job and slept her car.

Sleeping in her car isn't what killed her, it was the tipped over Gaskamp. How she didn't notice, or why she even kept that in the car in the first place, are different questions.

Reporter writes positive article about a dead woman that possessed a great work ethic .The bias. The horror. The agony. How is this country ever going to survive!!!

Jeff - nothing I said was "stupid". You're just not use to hearing the facts. I guess you enjoy being lied to. The story is being spun, to present a specific narrative.

Right.... You and that N word...

LMAO. Why am I the only one that laughs at your stupidity.

Trust me, you aren't the only one.

Huh?

I don't even know what you're trying to say there.

Yes they are, but unlike other kinds of choices, these choices are people. Defenseless people who can't take care of themselves and have no culpability in her choices. What are you going to do about them? If you decide you she shouldn't get paid more so she can take care of them, then we're discussing social programs like food stamps, housing assistance, etc. Are you suggesting we cut her off? Well, cutting her off doesn't just affect her, it affects the kids. Are you suggesting they starve and be out in the street?

Get specific. What are you proposing be done now that she has 10 kids?

bump

People get paid a lot of $ to make bad decisions regarding this sort of stuff.

Why does what i think concern you so much ?

Huh?

I don't even know what you're trying to say there.

Narrative. It's not any more of a narrative than you mentioning the woman with ten kids.

It's how the news is reported that determines the " story " being put out.

Archived