WCWS FINALS vs. Oklahoma -Game One Thread

Lexi pitched a heck of a game. She had one inning that was not good. Walking the leadoff batter, more times than not will cost you. She left the change up to Romero up in the zone. She did that several times and got away with it, but not that time. It's a shame she didn't get any run support. She pitched well enough to win. I feel like we can hit Parker better than this. We got the bat on the ball all but one strike out. She spins the ball as good as anybody I have seen. She gets enough late movement that it caused us to pop up way too may times. We have to adjust to seeing the rise and hitting the top of the ball or just don't swing at the rise. I think we can get to her tomorrow night. These girls will not go down without a fight. I look for another 7-9 run game for us tomorrow.

WAR EAGLE!!!!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May have been discussed already. I don't watch softball much, but seems with no outs and runner on first, you advance the runner w a bunt. That was the debate between my brother and I. He said not in softball.

Well, that ridiculous method of running at the pitcher while swinging somehow doesn't pay off. Man I wish they'd ban that garbage. Makes softball tough to watch. Completely wasted at bat. Using that method with the game on the line and 2 outs and what else is expected. No way that ever gets through without an out. bad way to lose. Wasted a great comeback.

Slap hitting is a great method of hitting for softball. If you don't like, you don't have to watch. As with any at bat, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. If you don't think it EVER gets through without an out then its obvious you haven't watch the game much if at all. This time it just didn't work out.

Obviously "no way that ever gets though without an out" was an exaggeration.

Slap hitting is usually a good way to get a runner on base who is very fast and can outrun the play in the infield. Slap hitting with 2 outs and 2 on base was not wise IMO. I'm sure coach told her to do what she felt best about. I'm sure it could have worked and may have just been what she is best at. Doesn't mean I have to approve or agree that it was a good move.

You do make an interesting point, and they have taught her to stay in the box and hit away with runners on. She actually went yard a couple times in the post season doing that. I'm sure with first base open and two outs Myer's is trying to get her to leg one out.

So happy for Lexi that she got the start. She'll be the first to tell you that she wishes she could have that one pitch back. Which was the difference in the ball game.

One things for sure. You can never count these girls out! I still really like our chances. I knew it was going to take a while to get to this pitcher, but I feel like we are starting to do that. Second our third time through tomorrow I'm sure we will have her figured out. Can't wait to see what the Myer's have in store for our pitching tomorrow.

Well, that ridiculous method of running at the pitcher while swinging somehow doesn't pay off. Man I wish they'd ban that garbage. Makes softball tough to watch. Completely wasted at bat. Using that method with the game on the line and 2 outs and what else is expected. No way that ever gets through without an out. bad way to lose. Wasted a great comeback.

Slap hitting is a great method of hitting for softball. If you don't like, you don't have to watch. As with any at bat, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. If you don't think it EVER gets through without an out then its obvious you haven't watch the game much if at all. This time it just didn't work out.

Slap hitting is usually a good way to get a runner on base who is very fast and can outrun the play in the infield. Slap hitting with 2 outs and 2 on base was not wise IMO. I'm sure coach told her to do what she felt best about. I'm sure it could have worked and may have just been what she is best at. Doesn't mean I have to approve or agree that it was a good move.

That slap hitter led the SEC in hits and has a .380 plus average. She hits a lot of balls through the infield and on into the outfield. I think at that point you tell the .380 hitter to do her best to get a hit and that's what she tried to do. I see nothing to criticize there. Did you want to put a .230 pinch hitter in for her?

May have been discussed already. I don't watch softball much, but seems with no outs and runner on first, you advance the runner w a bunt. That was the debate between my brother and I. He said not in softball.

Yes, I couldn't believe we didn't bunt her over. In true Myer's fashion it ended up working out better. We ended up with a runner on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Instead of just a runner on 2nd.

Lexi pitched a heck of a game. She had one inning that was not good. Walking the leadoff batter, more times than not will cost you. She left the change up to Romero up in the zone. She did that several times and got away with it, but not that time. It's a shame she didn't get any run support. She pitched well enough to win. I feel like we can hit Parker better than this. We got the bat on the ball all but one strike out. She spins the ball as good as anybody I have seen. She gets enough late movement that it caused us to pop up way too may times. We have to adjust to seeing the rise and hitting the top of the ball or just don't swing at the rise. I think we can get to her tomorrow night. These girls will not go down without a fight. I look for another 7-9 run game for us tomorrow.

WAR EAGLE!!!!

Agreed. I think they figured her out in the 7th. Hopefully it's game on. Outside of a few bad pitches (almost impossible not to have a few) and a second out ball hit very well with bad luck on placement and we win tonight. Oklahoma may be happy right now, but I'd bet they are more nervous tomorrow than we are.

It was there. The play by the catcher on the tag flipped the script on the inning. We will take them tomorrow by several runs. Just need good pitching so it is not a slug fest. We really held their good hitters in check minus 1 swing.

Don't see anyone slugging Parker. It will be the same. Just have to limit OU's run count. Parker is a bonified ace.

I am thinking more of like us in the 4 or 5 runs compared to 1 or 2. My wording did seem like a blowout, but I am thinking if we make it seem like we are hitting her well including 3 or 4 runs in the first few innings, they might actually bring in a relief pitcher to change it up. If she starts to show signs of fatigue early, they might. Only because they could rest her a little for a game 3. That could open the door for the blowout. All in all they will probably just ride her until her arm falls off and hope for the best with their offense. We must be patient and work the count like Florida state did to Walters yesterday. They fouled off everything until we walked them or found something they could put in a hole somewhere.

Yes, I couldn't believe we didn't bunt her over. In true Myer's fashion it ended up working out better.

Any coach can call a bunt. If the coach knows his players, then he knows who is a good bunter and who isn't. Asking a batter who is a poor bunter to bunt is folly.

You do make an interesting point, and they have taught her to stay in the box and hit away with runners on. She actually went yard a couple times in the post season doing that. I'm sure with first base open and two outs Myer's is trying to get her to leg one out.

So happy for Lexi that she got the start. She'll be the first to tell you that she wishes she could have that one pitch back. Which was the difference in the ball game.

One things for sure. You can never count these girls out! I still really like our chances. I knew it was going to take a while to get to this pitcher, but I feel like we are starting to do that. Second our third time through tomorrow I'm sure we will have her figured out. Can't wait to see what the Myer's have in store for our pitching tomorrow.

Like I said, I am sure she went with that method because that is what she is best at. 1st wasn't open though...runners on 1st and 3rd. The forced out at 2cnd required a well placed hit. Maybe these girls can place one well with slap hitting. Of the college softball games I've been to it doesn't seem to happen very often. Maybe I just never watch the good ones :dunno:

Yes, I couldn't believe we didn't bunt her over. In true Myer's fashion it ended up working out better. We ended up with a runner on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Instead of just a runner on 2nd.

Worked out or not, I believe the right call was to sacrifice the runner to second. The only thing is that Gipson has better power than Jordan. I guess Coach was thinking that she may get a pitch to drive.

Re: hunts

If you watch the defense on obvious bunt plays they were about 10 feet from the batter.and not easy to get bunt down and advance the runner.

Just thinking that if folks watched more softball they might appreciate Clint's approach to the game which has been pretty successful.

Ok in my opinion a run scored and runner on second is better than 2nd and 3rd

You are assuming a successful bunt. That's somewhere in the 50% range of probability, much less with some batters. Coach Meyers knows his players, I don't. I will point out that it was that same batter (Gibson) that got the three-base hit in the 7th that won it for us yesterday. Maybe she's a better clutch hitter than bunter.

Folks we're gonna get these guys.. That 7th inning we nearly got them. The first base girl made a perfect throw otherwise we go to extras or win it.. OU is due more adversity.. Auburn will take this in 3!

Folks we're gonna get these guys.. That 7th inning we nearly got them. The first base girl made a perfect throw otherwise we go to extras or win it.. OU is due more adversity.. Auburn will take this in 3!

I hope so. Frankly, they are a little better than we are, top to bottom. Not much better, but some. We'll have to score more than two to get this job done.

I don't doubt Myers decisions either. He knows what the heck he's doing and knows his players strengths and weaknesses!

Coach Myers said postgame that ‘You have to win two games to win the WCWS, we chose to pick the last two. It’s just that way'. I like this guy. What is funny is he is serious and believes it 100%. I do too.

How did it work out better? The strike out?

We ended up with a runner on Second and Third with one out. If we bunt at best we end up with a runner on Second and one out, even worse a runner on first with one out, or even worse than that she pops it up and we get doubled off. That def. for OU is no joke as seen by the play at the plate.

Re: hunts

If you watch the defense on obvious bunt plays they were about 10 feet from the batter.and not easy to get bunt down and advance the runner.

Just thinking that if folks watched more softball they might appreciate Clint's approach to the game which has been pretty successful.

Best in the Biz!!!

I agree I don't watch much softball, which I stated. Myers maybe the best coach in the nation, which is why I believe the bottom of the lineup has been taught to bunt. Speedster pinch runner on first is where you think this works. But I get paid by the hour not season and you guys watch more softball than me so ill accept being wrong. I hope the girls take the focus through Wednesday. WAR EAGLE

Archived