Saban denying grad transfer release to uga

SCBusPilot

"The SEC does not provide waivers of SEC rules absent circumstances that demonstrate a clear reason for granting an exception to those rules," the league statement said. "Each waiver request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis."

Well, Saban put the burden on the shoulders of the SEC office.  We'll see it Smith's "circumstances" for transferring to play for his old coach are a good enough reason for the SEC to grant a waiver.  Good luck to the kid and his future.

Well, the SEC has now approved the transfer and Maurice is on his way to Gawga.  What's interesting to me at this point are the restrictions placed on Gawga if he doesn't graduate from their grad program on time.  Read on:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/08/maurice_smith.html#incart_river_index

Maurice Smith is headed to Georgia.

The SEC has approved a conditional waiver that allows the former Alabama defensive back to join Georgia as a graduate transfer and to be eligible to play immediately, the conference announced Friday afternoon.

Smith and Georgia formally applied for the waiver Wednesday morning.

Previously opposed to letting Smith transfer to another SEC school, Tide coach Nick Saban granted Smith a full release on Wednesday.

Smith, however, still needed the SEC to approve a waiver in order to be eligible immediately, which the conference did Friday.

What that means? This ugly battle that has become a national story is finally over.

"Graduate transfer rules were established with the intent to be grounded in the academic interests of the student-athlete," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement. "This conditional waiver permits Maurice Smith to receive financial aid to pursue his stated academic goals at the school of his choice while connecting his athletic participation directly to those goals."

Since Smith never redshirted at Alabama, he has the option of completing his final year of eligibility either this year or next year, but plans to play this season.

The waiver grants Smith an exemption from two SEC bylaws, one that requires a student-athlete to have two years of eligibility remaining and another that requires a transfer going to another conference school to be there one full academic year before they are eligible to play.

"The standard for granting waivers has been clear and compelling evidence that there is reason for allowing an exception to SEC rules," Sankey said. "I found, among other contributing factors, that a student-athlete who graduates in three years and exhibits a strong commitment to his or her academic future provides compelling motivation to help them achieve their goals on and off the field. 

"An institution has an obligation to provide opportunities for graduate student-athletes to earn a graduate degree.   Similarly, student-athletes have accountability to the universities that are providing the educational opportunities they enjoy."

Based on the conditions of the waiver, Smith has to enroll in Georgia's Master of Public Health graduate program as a full-time student and must earn all possible Academic Progress Rate (APR) points for each term of his enrollment.

If Smith doesn't, Georgia can't use the graduate-student exemption in football again until after the 2019-20 academic year.

In addition, Smith won't be eligible for postseason competition if he doesn't complete nine hours of coursework.

Smith also has to graduate by the 2018-19 academic year. If he doesn't, Georgia can't request a waiver for either of the two bylaws waived in this situation until the beginning of the 2021-22 academic year or until Smith's graduation from the graduate program. Whichever comes first.

"Our SEC institutions adopted the intra-conference transfer rule in 2000 due to concerns that the transfer of current student-athletes within the conference would be viewed as unhealthy for student-athletes, the institutions and the conference alike, so this waiver is not granted lightly," Sankey said. "The University of Alabama vigorously defended this SEC rule for good reason and has assisted this process in every way. The current rule places our coaches and administrators in untenable situations, so it is time for us to address graduate transfer rules. An individual university does not possess the authority to activate that change, so adherence to these rules and the process by which exceptions are sought remain critical for every institution in the SEC."

Saban finally figured out how bad this was making him and the Turds look. Maybe to the point of kids he is recruiting not believing he is only doing what is best for them.

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Saban finally figured out how bad this was making him and the Turds look. Maybe to the point of kids he is recruiting not believing he is only doing what is best for them.

That's OK...SEC has backed him up with what looks like draconian requirements in this case.  Guess if I were UGa I would take a second look at Smith 'cause if he drops the ball academically, they are going to pay a pretty heavy price....at least that's how I read it.

If saban doesn't let this guy transfer to Georgia, he gonna be mud in the media. And in the long, he needs to media to vote uat the #1 team come Jan.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

If saban doesn't let this guy transfer to Georgia, he gonna be mud in the media. And in the long, he needs to media to vote uat the #1 team come Jan.

Guess you didn't read the first page.................he already has

I think a student-athlete should have the option to transfer to his/her choice school once that person has graduated.  I don't agree with blocking a grad transfer.  They have earned the right to relocate for grad school.  Students that are not athletes can transfer to get a grad degree, which I have heard from several advisors that it is best to get a grad degree from a separate institution than your under grad degree to broaden your learning.

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

I think a student-athlete should have the option to transfer to his/her choice school once that person has graduated.  I don't agree with blocking a grad transfer.  They have earned the right to relocate for grad school.  Students that are not athletes can transfer to get a grad degree, which I have heard from several advisors that it is best to get a grad degree from a separate institution than your under grad degree to broaden your learning.

Hey...these guys are football players, so it's automatically assumed that education means nothing to them....just moving to get a better chance to play....right? :dunno:

And look at the terms of the "deal"....if he does not graduate or whatever, UGA gets slapped.  Not fair IMO but is being done to discourage schools from taking grad trans from inside the SEC....

It's all about football....education is the by-product it seems.

45 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hey...these guys are football players, so it's automatically assumed that education means nothing to them....just moving to get a better chance to play....right? :dunno:

And look at the terms of the "deal"....if he does not graduate or whatever, UGA gets slapped.  Not fair IMO but is being done to discourage schools from taking grad trans from inside the SEC....

It's all about football....education is the by-product it seems.

Yep.  That is why I don't think there should be a rule at all for grads. Yes you will still have some, maybe most, that are looking at football purposes instead of academics,  but if they meet the restrictions on the academic side then the football should accept without having to waiver. 

Archived