***Auburn 16 Texas A&M 29 -- Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

Taking just a moment to state the obvious...we are 3 games into the season and already out of the NC picture.  And haven't played a road game yet.  A loss to LSU next week and the SEC Championship is off the board.  We still don't have a quarterback.  White's too small and his mechanics are terrible...he is literally falling to one side on every pass.  Maybe it is from being hit so much?  JF is too small.  He can run but he either hasn't grasped Gus' circus of a playbook or nobody has taken the time to prepare him.  Nobody knows if he can throw because we have seen maybe two pass plays when he is in the game (one of which he sailed 20 yds. over the receiver).  The O-line looked lost all night.  Our go-to receiver looks like he should be playing pee wee football (former punter, right?).   And we finally have a defense that can compete in the SEC...that's the sad part.  I really hoped Gus would grow into his job and be our coach for years to come, but we appear to be digressing.  The offense plays with no confidence or fire.  It's like they are tentative and trying to remember assignments instead of just playing and opening up a can of whoop a**.  That's coaching.  Sorry to play Captain Obvious...just venting.  WDE!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not get me wrong, I love that Auburn is  a dominate running team. It's great. I also love dual threat QBs coupled with a dominate run game. At some point however it gets tiresome relying solely on those aspect of the game and watching them falter time and time again. At what point will Auburn have a true QB again? I'd say we haven't had one since Cam Newton in 2010. Nick Marshall was great as a QB in the scheme that was designed for him but I think we can all agree that he was no true QB by any means. I get tired of worrying week after week and year after year about the QB position. If we have to take a dent in the running game and run the ball less in order to obtain a true QB, I think it's worth it. I would suspect we do not get top caliber QBs due to the fact that we are a notoriously hard nosed running offense and maybe more elite QBs feel they will not get the play calls and development they need at Auburn for that next level so they choose other schools over Auburn. Maybe it's not that. Maybe it's the recruiting itself. Maybe we are only going after these types of QBs. All I know is it has become very, very tiresome to watch Auburn's carousel of "okay" QBs over the years and something needs to change. 

The only thing I saw stopping our offense was Gus and his play calling. Aggies never stopped the run game. Gus did though by not feeding Petway the ball! Also we have a very talented team and I hope they don't give up or lose confidence. Because even with a new coach that might take years to get back

23 minutes ago, rvm4574 said:

Because even with a new coach that might take years to get back

the alternative is:   Keep Gus a while.   Continue the downward trend for a couple of years and then hire a new coach that will take a few  MORE years to get us back to where we should be.    The coaching change should have happened last year.

1 hour ago, lbutler127 said:

Taking just a moment to state the obvious...we are 3 games into the season and already out of the NC picture.  And haven't played a road game yet.  A loss to LSU next week and the SEC Championship is off the board.  We still don't have a quarterback.  White's too small and his mechanics are terrible...he is literally falling to one side on every pass.  Maybe it is from being hit so much?  JF is too small.  He can run but he either hasn't grasped Gus' circus of a playbook or nobody has taken the time to prepare him.  Nobody knows if he can throw because we have seen maybe two pass plays when he is in the game (one of which he sailed 20 yds. over the receiver).  The O-line looked lost all night.  Our go-to receiver looks like he should be playing pee wee football (former punter, right?).   And we finally have a defense that can compete in the SEC...that's the sad part.  I really hoped Gus would grow into his job and be our coach for years to come, but we appear to be digressing.  The offense plays with no confidence or fire.  It's like they are tentative and trying to remember assignments instead of just playing and opening up a can of whoop a**.  That's coaching.  Sorry to play Captain Obvious...just venting.  WDE!

The offensive players have lost confidence in the coaching staff.....Mainly Gus and his play calling ability!

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Winning games? We can't even touch winning games until we find a competent offense. My point is, SW is not going to fit what Gus wants to do. He is not going to mold the offense around SW and I do not believe Gus is going to go down with SW being his QB. Just my opinion. If Gus is on the hot seat, he is going to do it at least his own way. I hate to say it, but Gus needs a QB who can improvise against quality talent. He is not going to adjust like other teams will. He ran the QB read to the ground today with JF3 and it got them into two scoring positions. That is what he ultimately wants, IMO. I can't explain it.

I agree with ya. I'm just saying if the OL blocked consistently and we ran more than 4-5 plays over and over again we wouldn't be having this conversation. How the hell do you not come up with a game plan or blocking scheme to neutralize the best pass rushing DE in the SEC? I don't care who they trot out there at QB at this point. When your OL is getting blown up every play and your scheme is built on 3 plays and your QB has 1-2 secs to throw the ball....you're not gonna win ..period.

Here is the truth pure and simple Gus started a downhill slide at the end of 2014 and either doesn't know how to right the ship or is too lazy at this point to try , this season is over , how many do we get in a lifetime ? Gus forfeited this one for you , losing is one thing but not showing up ready to play ? Inexcusable! I'm done no more donations no more tickets from me until Gus is gone, empty seats will garner attention every time.

7 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

the alternative is:   Keep Gus a while.   Continue the downward trend for a couple of years and then hire a new coach that will take a few  MORE years to get us back to where we should be.    The coaching change should have happened last year.

No! Gus needs to go!

2 minutes ago, War Eagle 2 said:

Woody Barrett is the ANSWER. He is our best quarterback down there. 

:beatmullet:

Outside of the argument on whether or not Gus and company need the boot, do you guys seriously think Jay Jacobs would give it to him if it's a clear picture he needs it? If so, does Auburn have the budget for a big name like Tom Herman?   Not insinuating he would or we don't, just generally asking. 

I don't know what Gus is thinking by using White but if he really knew what was up he would use Woody Barrett as our starter and Franklin as our back up. Barrett had several teams that wanted him like Miami and Ohio and Bama. You don't sit talent like that. He's 6'2 238lbs a 4 star quarterback. USE HIM

Might as well go with JF3 the rest of the way.  Tackles are doing such a poor job in pass protection there is no way a pocket passer is going to have a chance against SEC DE's.  We must have an athletic QB back there to have a chance.  And the opponents' fear of him getting outside opens up the inside running game for KJ and Pettway.  So he at least gives us some chance to compete.  Sean is a much better passer when he has time but he ain't gonna get it.  

As for the offensive coaching debacle, we all know this team is going to be scratching and clawing just to try to get bowl eligible and will be playing MSU to try to stay out of the west basement again.  So this is likely the end of Gus and we have still another expensive round of buyouts to contend with due to the incompetence of our AD. But it is what it is.  Time to move on.

In the current situation, who is lined up at QB is irrelevant. There is not a human being alive that could be successful. The offensive coaching staff is killing the offense. The offense isn't being presented the opportunity to be successful with the play calls that are being sent in from whomever is calling the play. Chavis made adjustments, AU ran the same crap, over, and over, and over....that is on coaching, not players.

Just now, auburn4ever said:

Gus, Rhett and Jay Jacobs. 3 clowns that's run our football program into the ground.

You are giving Rhett way too much credit.

Myles Garrett was in Sean's hip pocket on every pass play. Not once did I see a tight-end come in to help slow him down. Gus made no real adjustments to their defense, and it looked as though he was picking plays out of a hat. No continuity, or setting up plays with other plays. They didn't give the defense anything to think about until JF III came in and shook things up. Also, what happened to Pettway in the third quarter? Gus was calling the game like he was down by 20 with 5 minutes left in the fourth when he was only down by 3-6. They definitely left the down-field passing game in the locker room, but I suspect it was because the O-line wasn't giving Sean enough time for routes to develop before Garrett sacked him again. Gus didn't and doesn't make adjustments on the fly. One more thing, What good does it do to get to the line and run a play after a first down when everyone in the stadium knows it's going to be the same play they just ran? That may have worked in the beginning, but it's no secret that that's what is coming and defenses are ready for it. They rarely get more than a yard or two on those plays, so why run them? It also seems like it takes forever to get a play in when they decide to change it at the line. This is causing the QB to rush the play in order to get the snap off in time. I thought this was a HUNH, but it seems like a Hurry-up-and-wait no-huddle. JMHO and I am NO expert

Suggesting Briles, Patrino - throw in Sandusky while you are at that.

JJ has been over his head since day one by the way, but political Auburn rewards loyalty over performance. Start here with a business man and experienced AD that can run a corporation of this size. Running deficits and not getting the job done is nuts. A couple of hire wins, but with the spending Jacobs has done, I'd want more for my money. Being serious here will show coaches we are serious there too. 

I think that Gus would be better served moving away from the high school offense and eliminating those trick plays that once might have worked but are all probably out on youtube by now.  And since when do you try to pull a right tackle to block one of the better pass rushers in the country coming from the left side leaving him basically unblocked, more than once?  Also, what is up with Lashlee repeatedly going away from what is working every time momentum is generated?  What happened to using your workhorses?  How about letting Auburn grow up an play big boy ball?

3 hours ago, lbutler127 said:

[Nobody knows if he can throw because we have seen maybe two pass plays when he is in the game (one of which he sailed 20 yds. over the receiver)]

The receiver stopped on his route.  He would have been where the ball was thrown had he continued up field at speed.  I don't think he knew what play they were running.

Jacobs is so confusing to me. He makes great hires in Bruce Pearl, Clint Meyers, Richard Quick, Brett Hawke, Greg Williams, etc. Yet he also hired the obvious failures Tony Barbee, Gus, Sonny Galloway, and has generally done a horrible job managing the football program (e.g. His allowing of Tim Jackson to meddle during the Chizik era). I like Jacobs as an Auburn man, but I just don't understand how he is so hit or miss with his coaching hires...

JMO but JF3 has done as well as he has because he has been a change of pace and teams were not ready for the change...and ...he has not been on the field long enough to allow defenses to adjust to him...though TAMU seemed to catch up with him after a couple of series.

I'm afraid that if he runs the same offense we've seen thus far, nothing much is going to change except that the passing yards will do down and he will have some running yard to off-set them. 

The basic offensive plan is a loser and I'm not sure it matters too much who is at QB. 

2 hours ago, MichAU12 said:

Jacobs is so confusing to me. He makes great hires in Bruce Pearl, Clint Meyers, Richard Quick, Brett Hawke, Greg Williams, etc. Yet he also hired the obvious failures Tony Barbee, Gus, Sonny Galloway, and has generally done a horrible job managing the football program (e.g. His allowing of Tim Jackson to meddle during the Chizik era). I like Jacobs as an Auburn man, but I just don't understand how he is so hit or miss with his coaching hires...

Richard Quick only came back at the request of David Marsh (who Jay Jacobs ran off) not because of Jay Jacobs and Brett Hawke was a poor hire.  Our swim program has regressed terribly under his watch.  Jay Jacobs is a good guy.  He was totally unqualified to ever have been hired as AU's AD, but thanks to folks like Pat Dye and the rest of the GOB network, he was handed the keys.  Jay Jacobs is still incompetent.  But until I see that he has been fired, resigned or retired, I expect the lunacy that is our athletic department to continue.  That 15 million dollar HD TV in JHS sure looks nice showing how inept our football team is now under the direction of the 2nd incompetent HC hired by our incompetent AD.  I see a pattern emerging.

wde

Archived