***Auburn 16 Texas A&M 29 -- Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

16 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I'm so disappointed right now I really have no words. Some part of me actually thought we were going to win tonight and turn this thing around. And now, I just want the season over with and a coaching search to begin.

DITTO!!!!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AURandy56 said:

Can he be any worse than what AU has now?  

This might rile some, or maybe a lot, of you up, but I'm going to throw out a name for HC possibility:

Lane Kiffen. 

You are a bammer or have no knowledge of football to suggest that name. 

He is a joke for a head coach. 

May as well buy Boom from USC if we are trying to make the dumbest decision possible.

2 minutes ago, jw 4 au said:

UGA just won a game they should have lost. That's 3 on the season for them. Not sure we have done that in a while. Coaching didn't help them either, but didn't hurt them like us. I feel our coaching is hurting us WAY more then helping us.

Fixed it for you, mizzou, nichols, and unc were all hot garbage lucky wins. But id take it in a hart beat and maybe even kerby as well

I'll throw a name in the ring. 'Anyone'   We could run a bog standard offense of almost any scheme, and do better than what we're doing now. Hell, consistently AVERAGE playcalling would win some games with the talent we have. Hell, let the qb's call the plays as they see them, and you'd have better results.

I have always questioned his thinking. There are numerous times in the past when we needed two yards for a first down, and he calls a long developing pass play for an incompletion. The man is a high school coach. The only hope is to lose every game except the patsies, but I don't wish that on these players.

1 minute ago, aushrink said:

You are a bammer or have no knowledge of football to suggest that name. 

He is a joke for a head coach. 

May as well buy Boom from USC if we are trying to make the dumbest decision possible.

I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that you are such an expert in college football. I also wasn't aware that I was a "bammer." In my 62 years of life, no one has ever accused me of being a bamber. 

Just now, austudnt23 said:

SW had 3 quarters and how many times did he get inside the redzone? Thats a serious question because i am wondering that stat. I know we scored on one drive but i dont believe we got insode the redzone another time with SW today. JF3 had 2 drives 1 td and 1 that should have been a field goal.  

Look, I know you're a HUGE JF fanboy...and you're looking for a I told you so moment, and I won't deny you that...HOWEVER you surely seen that he requires some major help on learning the offense. His last drive was pitiful at best because the A&M defense knew he only has 3 or 4 plays in his repertoire. If somebody can calm him down and forcefeed him the playbook, then he is the best option in Gus's HS offense.

30 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

Especially in this climate. What Petrino did was never that bad morally. 

Sorry. No. Petrino is a scum bag. It has nothing to do with the affair. It has to do with his demeanor on the sidelines and with the press. He's a jerk that does not resemble the Auburn creed.

2 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Look, I know you're a HUGE JF fanboy...and you're looking for a I told you so moment, and I won't deny you that...HOWEVER you surely seen that he requires some major help on learning the offense. His last drive was pitiful at best because the A&M defense knew he only has 3 or 4 plays in his repertoire. If somebody can calm him down and forcefeed him the playbook, then he is the best option in Gus's HS offense.

Last week, we all endured the SW fan boys, even when we told them to temper their expectations. I like SW.  I like JF3. Neither of them is probably the answer, but a JF3 type is what the coaches want and desire. It is what it is. The coaches do NOT play up to SW strengths nor do they seem to have a lot of confidence in him. 

From a student's perspective:

First of all, student section was rocking tonight. I was yelling on every snap. It might've been even louder than the Clemson game. If I were A&M, I'd feel pretty good about winning in a (very) hostile environment.

That being said, the playcalling is just atrocious. Bad. Crappy. Abominable. There aren't enough negative adjectives to describe it. When we ran it up the middle on 4th and 3 when A&M had 10 in the box, everyone was shouting "Bye Gus!" And honestly, I think a lot of us have gotten off the Gus Bus. When you have Nick Marshall, Greg Robinson, Tre Mason, and Jay Prosch, this scheme makes you look like a genius. You can run it against anyone. The thing is, though, is that the prior success has deluded a lot of us into thinking that schemes win games.

Schemes don't win games. There's nothing magical about the HUNH. It's 100% matchups. You adjust to what you're best at and, conversely, what the other team is worst at. In 2013, we were best at pounding the ball straight at the opposing team because we could just bully everyone physically.

But now? Now we have a (imo talented) pocket passer who is excellent in the midrange, yet all we seem to call are short passes behind the line of scrimmage or deep bombs. Sean White may lose the QB job, and the worst part is, is that it's not even his fault. I honestly believe we could have success as an air raid attack. That might be hard to imagine... but it's even harder to imagine that the most stubborn coach in college football will change.

It's one thing for a player to blow an assignment and let the coaches down. It's another thing for the coaches to let the players down continuously without any accountability. I don't believe roster talent made any difference tonight. We could've switched players and Kevin Sumlin would've whipped us with our squad too. The problems lie deeper than any player. It's a problem of mindset and misconceptions.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Last week, we all endured the SW fan boys, even when we told them to temper their expectations. I like SW.  I like JF3. Neither of them is probably the answer, but a JF3 type is what the coaches want and desire. It is what it is. The coaches do NOT play up to SW strengths nor do they seem to have a lot of confidence in him. 

I thought SW played a good game when the coaches put him in a place to succeed. That first TD drive was excellent. It was a mix of run and pass while keeping the defense honest. Almost immediately after that, we go back to Gus thinking he's the smartest man in the stadium and getting cute with the offense. SW is a good QB as is JFIII, neither will be worth a nickel in this offense with Gus as the head man.

5 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Dude I am not looking for an I told u so. I am just pointing out that in this offense JF3 gives us the best chance. If he can get the playbook down he gives us a very good chance. I just want to win.  

Just now, selias said:

I thought SW played a good game when the coaches put him in a place to succeed. That first TD drive was excellent. It was a mix of run and pass while keeping the defense honest. Almost immediately after that, we go back to Gus thinking he's the smartest man in the stadium and getting cute with the offense. SW is a good QB as is JFIII, neither will be worth a nickel in this offense with Gus as the head man.

The problem is Gus always does good with a script, but when teams start to adjust, he falls off unless, he has someone who can improvise..At least that is the trend that I am seeing. I think the ship has sailed on Gus tailoring the offense to SWs ability.

Just now, DAG said:

The problem is Gus always does good with a script, but when teams start to adjust, he falls off unless, he has someone who can improvise..At least that is the trend that I am seeing. I think the ship has sailed on Gus tailoring the offense to SWs ability.

IMO, the ship has sailed with Gus being an SEC coach.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

No argument here. I'm not a "fanboy" of either 3, I just wanna see the guy who gives us the best chance to win. JF has the ability to be that guy, but he has to improve in areas, as well as getting unbridled by Gus & company. Gus can be his own worst enemy and he proved that tonight with his stale, vanilla play calling until the game was out of reach. I don't have a problem with JF splitting time, but he has to open up the playbook more because SEC defenses will not get fooled by his 3 play playbook.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I'm not so sure our offensive coaches know what they want at this point. I know I can speak for all Auburn fans and say that what we want is to get out of the month of September before the season is in the tank. 

I agree with the general tenor of the thread that Gus is done at the end of the year.  What number or wins would give him a chance to survive?  I feel sure he is out if he goes 7-6 or worse but would 8-5 or 9-4 save him?  You have to let the season play out and they may still win some that surprise us but three years of regression in this league where guys who average 10 wins a season are getting fired or are on the hot seat have to spell the end for Gus.  Au revoir.  We will always have 2013..

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I'm not so sure our offensive coaches know what they want at this point. I know I can speak for all Auburn fans and say that what we want is to get out of the month of September before the season is in the tank. 

I think Gus definitely wants a QB who can run the zone read. The problem is, he has been missing out on his targets and is hell bent on running that system, no matter what.

8 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Dude I am not looking for an I told u so. I am just pointing out that in this offense JF3 gives us the best chance. If he can get the playbook down he gives us a very good chance. I just want to win.  

I'm in the same boat bro. I'm all for JF splitting reps/game time/starting if that helps us win. Those guys played too hard tonight to go back to the locker room with a loss.

2 minutes ago, aubinvnam said:

I agree with the general tenor of the thread that Gus is done at the end of the year.  What number or wins would give him a chance to survive?  I feel sure he is out if he goes 7-6 or worse but would 8-5 or 9-4 save him?  You have to let the season play out and they may still win some that surprise us but three years of regression in this league where guys who average 10 wins a season are getting fired or are on the hot seat have to spell the end for Gus.  Au revoir.  We will always have 2013..

I'd be happy at this point for 7-6. We'll (likely) beat ULM, Vandy, and Alabama A&M. That still means we have to get 2 games out of LSU, at MSU, Arky, at Ole Miss, at UGA, and at Bama.

6 minutes ago, aubinvnam said:

I said this when CGM was hired.  On average, he will be a 7-9 win per season coach.  Is that good enough?  Not for me it isn't.  How bout the rest of you?

4 minutes ago, jknighton said:

I'm in the same boat bro. I'm all for JF splitting reps/game time/starting if that helps us win. Those guys played too hard tonight to go back to the locker room with a loss.

I agree

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

CsmqiJTUsAAibhJ.jpg

The names on this list....

It's enough to tell the story. We need more than a changes at quarterback, we need a new coach.

Archived