Did we turn a corner or beat an overrated team?

MichAU12

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

Somewhere on this site I read a thread that was titled "the last play" and it made mention that LSU QB was past the line of scrimmage when he threw the "touchdown pass", I had recorded the game and he was definitely past the line of scrimmage when he let loose of the ball so I think it wouldn't have counted anyway. Thank goodness they screwed it up on their own. I think Les Miles and Mark Richt went to the same school of clock management. Richt actually gave us the game one year due to his mismanagement of the clock. Alls well that ends well. WDE!!!

The LSU QB still had 1 foot behind the line of scrimmage. According to the rule, the QB's entire body must be beyond the line of scrimmage for the pass to be considered illegal. Source.  

No offense Doc,but vandy is only slightly better than SC.   Both are terrible,so not sure why u have them less of a percentage  than miss state.   Until we start to beat GA, I give that 50/50.  At this point, it's a 2% for bama.   It will take, to date, the best game of our year to beat ole miss.   Arkansas wil be a pickem type game.  The rest would should win

Just now, aubaseball said:

No offense Doc,but vandy is only slightly better than SC.   Both are terrible,so not sure why u have them less of a percentage  than miss state.   Until we start to beat GA, I give that 50/50.  At this point, it's a 2% for bama.   It will take, to date, the best game of our year to beat ole miss.   Arkansas wil be a pickem type game.  The rest would should win

SC literally beat Vandy this year, yet you think Vandy is a better team?

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Minus the redzone struggles, I liked what I saw last night.  The offense did do fairly well between the 20's.  The defense played very well for the 4th straight week.  Fournette is good (not great, imo) and he's going to get his yards, but Auburn contained him fairly well and kept lsu out of the endzone after their only td early.     I said at the beginning of the season that I thought lsu was WAY overrated and they would drop 4-5 games.  They still don't have a QB, so their offense is Fournette and nothing else (although the backup did get some nice runs on us last night). 

Any win over an SEC team is a great win, so I don't care how we get it.   LSU's defense is always fairly good so I can't say we turned the corner yet, but we definitely made progress, IMO.  Fix the redzone issues and we win that game going away.

If the coaches can fix the blown O-Line assignments,especially on the Goal Line,  that cost us at least 1 TD and continue to open the playbook, we may finally turn the corner. Here is to hoping they can do it.

40 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

SC literally beat Vandy this year, yet you think Vandy is a better team?

What? Seems to me that SC just lost their 3rd in a row to the 'Dores.

On edit...

Someone pass a warm wet towel. I need to wipe the egg from my face.  I was thinking of USCe's third loss in a row against Kentucky and got it turned around in my mind.

24 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

The LSU QB still had 1 foot behind the line of scrimmage. According to the rule, the QB's entire body must be beyond the line of scrimmage for the pass to be considered illegal. Source.  

I looked at the video again and I think you were right. His left toe was right on the line so I don't know if that qualifies as his whole body, but it was very close. I guess I won't be asked to be a replay official :-) It's history now !!!

15 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

What? Seems to me that SC just lost their 3rd in a row to the 'Dores.

South Carolina beat Vanderbilt 13-10 in week 1

I would hardly call LSU overrated IMO; they just don't seem that good this season. But I have seen enough of our team to believe that we ARE close to turning a corner. All it takes is getting tds when we make it to the endzone instead of field goals. We'd be 4-0 if that were happening.

We beat an extremely overrated LSU team. Preseason #5 and #6, respectively. They likely won't be ranked today (maybe 25th???). That's the definition of overrated. 

2 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

We beat an extremely overrated LSU team. Preseason #5 and #6, respectively. They likely won't be ranked today (maybe 25th???). That's the definition of overrated. 

LSWho may not be ranked in opinion polls, but the updated ESPN FPI has 'em at #11, and Sagarin has 'em at #14.  (AU is at #15 and at #20 in those same two ratings respectively.)  As far as preseason opinion poll rankings, I can hardly think of anything more meaningless.

Just now, CleCoTiger said:

LSWho may not be ranked in opinion polls, but the updated ESPN FPI has 'em at #11, and Sagarin has 'em at #14.  (AU is at #15 and at #20 in those same two ratings respectively.)  As far as preseason opinion poll rankings, I can hardly think of anything more meaningless.

What do you base your opinion on? They were rated high. Doesn't that literally make them "overrated"?

As for FPI, they have HOUSTON ranked behind us. Do you really think we beat Houston?

There's a likely chance LSU will lose to 5 of their next 8. Hate to break the news to you, but they are just as bad as we are offensively. BTW, they are ranked #9 in ESPN's SEC power rankings (we're #8). That's puts each of us in the bottom half of the SEC. 

Just now, doug3020 said:

What do you base your opinion on? They were rated high. Doesn't that literally make them "overrated"?

As for FPI, they have HOUSTON ranked behind us. Do you really think we beat Houston?

There's a likely chance LSU will lose to 5 of their next 8. Hate to break the news to you, but they are just as bad as we are offensively. BTW, they are ranked #9 in ESPN's SEC power rankings (we're #8). That's puts each of us in the bottom half of the SEC. 

I don't count preseason rankings. They're meaningless.  As far as the FPI, it ain't perfect. No system is. But if you follow it for a while you may just find (as I have) that it is a pretty solid predictor of outcomes. They had LSU@AU as essentially a coin toss while fans on AU forums were giving up preemptively. And please don't be so dang condescending. You're breaking no news to me at all. Near as I can tell, all you're doing is spreading doom and gloom after a nice SEC win at home for our Tigers.

I don't think kicking 6 field goals is turning a corner.  If we had turned a corner the ball would have been in the end zone about 4 times and the game would have been over mid way through the 3rd quarter.  The backups would have played most of the 4th quarter.  

11 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I don't count preseason rankings. They're meaningless.  As far as the FPI, it ain't perfect. No system is. But if you follow it for a while you may just find (as I have) that it is a pretty solid predictor of outcomes. They had LSU@AU as essentially a coin toss while fans on AU forums were giving up preemptively. And please don't be so dang condescending. You're breaking no news to me at all. Near as I can tell, all you're doing is spreading doom and gloom after a nice SEC win at home for our Tigers.

Was never trying to be. I don't spread D&G nor do I pump sunshine. Spades are spades brother...

Edit: LSU is ranked 99th in the country in total offense. We beat them by kicking 6 FG's. I hope we win out. 

Progress was made and finally getting that home SEC win was great, but we won't truly turn the corner until the o-line improves and we can get enough push upfront in the redzone to start punching it in for TD's.

"Did we turn a corner or beat an overrated team?"  Honestly, my first thought...does it matter?  Seriously, every week, each college football team, made up of individuals with varying physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual strength, plays another team with like make-up with increasing or decreasing aptitude, increasing potential for coming in banged up due to the season's progress, possible ejection or disqualification potential due to targeting or possible unforeseen shenanigans off the field the previous week...in some cases, subject to team-endured illness (ArkyState), and the list of turkey-shoot variables just go on and on.  Add to that the ongoing revelation of a team's game plan and personnel gifting, studied and prepped for over the span of a season.  In my book, and I hope in most AUFamily's, is, simply put, a win is a win is a win...for TAMU, for Bammer, for UGA, for TN, or for us...and a loss is a loss.  Ultimately the why's don't matter unless a pattern develops, and this is where we find ourselves at AU.  However, as some with cooler heads have shared, anything is possible, learning is fluid, and the rush to judgment is the road more traveled when we are hit with things we can't explain...or really...CONTROL.

In another thread, someone said that we will forever now compare all QB's to Cam Newton.  I totally agree.  Last night at JH, some awesome pro footage was shown, with the chillingly exciting pronouncement...he is already leading the pack of PRO quarterbacks, the likes of him they have never seen, in essence.  There have been some gosh-awful ugly wins from every team I've ever watched.  A win is a win is a win.

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Can't say a team turned a corner when it can't even score a TD. 

This! We are not even close on offense with 0 TD's in the red zone after 6 trips. Defense is legit. LSU is overrated. 

I don't know if WE turned a corner (i think we're rounding a curve)...

I think we will continue to see improvement and get better especially if the best players play (some younger ones more) and the coaches figure out how to call a better game on the O side, get rid of plays that have NO chance of working with the personnel we currently have. Basically better schemes play wise and execution of them.

but

I think LSU definitely will turn a corner one way or the other,

and I think IF they come together after this.... That team has a LOT for talent and they love Les Miles and will play hard for him.

They are really gonna take it out on some folks and I'd HATE to be Missou going into Tiger Stadium at night next week after the way they just lost....

Overrated or not, beating LSU is always a good thing. We'll turn the corner when we quit calling jacklegged plays and really tailor the O to our starting QB. Turning the corner takes everyone, especially the staff. 

I think I now have my percentages better adjusted.  The LSU win is a win against a ranked team that could win out if things go their way.  I know we kicked 6 FGs, but points are points no matter how you achieve them.  I think it was in the 2011 NC where bammer kicked 7 FGs to win the NC 21-0.  LSU is a top 4 defense in the SEC. We fall into this group of elite defenses.

Gus picked an excellent group of defensive coaches for us. If Lashlee turns out to be an excellent OC that may give us 6 or more wins in the remaining 8 games left, then the entire coaching staff will remain intact.

11 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

A win is a win is a win.

Agree it's always good to win, especially an SEC game, and especially against LSU.  But, the way you win does matter.

The first time I heard that quote ("A win is a win is a win") was from Doug Barfield after Auburn beat Kansas State 26-18 to open the season on Sept. 15, 1979.  KSU finished 4-7 the previous year and 3-8 in 1979.  And, although 1979 was his best year, he was gone a year later.

So yes it was a win and that is good and obviously better than losing on another Les Miles luck play.  Hopefully it is a stepping stone or building block to better things, but I'm not of any different mindset than before that game.  Same problems, different outcome.

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

LSU's defense is a legit SEC defense and our offense preformed good enough to win.  The offense definitely could improve and it seems that the coaching staff will develop better continuity now that SW has proven he can get the W in a close game.  The defense dominated (save a few plays) an average to poor offense that was LSU.  Really a good team win last night.  Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

sean white didnt win the game. the defense won this game and our field goal kicker. sean white played below average. open your eyes!

Archived