Did we turn a corner or beat an overrated team?

MichAU12

We beat an overrated team with a horrible offense. I did not realize they were as bad as they were.

We have got to have a better pass rush, though, to beat Arky, Ole Miss and Alabama.

The other games I believe we have a good shot of winning, just b/c of our defense.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I posted this in another thread but thought it would also apply here since some people think Sean White is not a good QB:

"This already may have been stated, but right now Sean White is 66% for the season which ranks 2nd in the SEC and 22nd nationally. Not bad. He deserves some credit for what he is doing (against some really good defenses to boot)."

3 of the 4 teams we have played are really good on defense and Sean White is still doing well.  I believe if Sean White played the whole Clemson game, we would have won it.

3 hours ago, Bathel said:

Actually, it was the LOS.  The tip of the ball was placed on the back edge of the 15 yard line right were the TV LOS was drawn.  His foot/heel was behind that line when he released the ball.  There was a Zebra standing RIGHT on the LOS about 1 yard away when he threw it.  I don't think replay would have reversed that.  However, the outstanding zebras missed the simple fact that the WR was still in motion and had not been set for 1 second prior to the snap... so it should have been another flag for that alone... thank god the clock had actually expired or we would have been screwed.

Hard to see the ball in the pic you posted, but I saw another pic of it and it was pretty clear that the ball had left his hand and part of his right heel was still on or behind the LOS.  In any case, I doubt you could find irrefutable evidence that he had crossed the LOS.

As far as the receiver moving on the last play, it is legal for a receiver to be in motion on the snap as long as he hasn't come set and isn't moving forward I think, so not sure if that should have been a penalty or not.

Last, I read another site that said the illegal shift on the previous play was incorrectly assessed as a live ball foul and should have been called a false start which is a dead ball foul and therefore would have resulted in a 10 second runoff and game over.  That may be interpretation of the not being set rule though.  At least replay got it right that the game clock was 0 on the last play and the ball was clearly not snapped when that happened.  Be interesting to see if the SEC has any comment on the way all that crap went down on the last two plays.

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Team may be overrated a little but anytime LSU returns 18 starters they should be rated very high. Just don't have a QB.

I don't think we'll ever get to see the proof, thanks to LSU's administration jumping the gun, but I don't think their QB is that bad.  I just think he had Auburn jerseys in his face all night because our line is that good. I also don't know that we are going to meet a more dangerous running back this year. I honestly think LSU offense was just outmatched by what could turn out to be one of the best defenses in the SEC. There D was pretty darn good, too. 

Sadly, I think the move to fire Les guaranteed that they won't reach their potential this season, which will make the win look less important in our record.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sadly, I think the move to fire Les guaranteed that they won't reach their potential this season, which will make the win look less important in our record.

I personally will not be surprised if Orgeron gets 'em on a roll. There's a TON of talent on that team. And USC in the year Orgeron took over for Kiffin had been utterly inept on offense but suddenly was moving the ball and scoring points like they'd been expected to. Orgeron's record as interim HC at USC was 6-2.

43 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't be shocked if they do well with crazy Ed he was 6-2 at  USCw after taking over. No their QB is not bad but he's average which means they should still win most games.

Can you even win games with an average QB?  I've read a lot pundits on these boards that don't believe Auburn can.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Can you even win games with an average QB?  I've read a lot pundits on these boards that don't believe Auburn can.

Ya know, I get that "average at best" QB is a pretty common opinion of SW amongst many of the AU faithful, but there's just something that tells me by the time SW is done at AU, that opinion will no longer be common. I think the kid has the ability to light it up. I hope I turn out to be right. That said, a lot of teams win with average QBs. AU for example has won its share of games with QBs that never even sniffed the next level without buying a ticket. 

52 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't be shocked if they do well with crazy Ed he was 6-2 at  USCw after taking over. No their QB is not bad but he's average which means they should still win most games.

^^^ This...     and their guy's are gonna be real fired up to play after losing a coach they loved.

BTW speaking of LSU's QB....

MUCH props to that kid... he may be "average" but he took some SHOTS and kept getting back up. Kept playing hard even AFTER the clock ran out... Tough kid.

I think the answer to the OP's question is we saw, what we said we thought early on, that we needed. The defense is good enough to win the game with just a little help from the offense. The help came by kicking field goals, but the offense did put them in position to do that. I think what some are not grasping is that even if the offense was bad in the red-zone, the were getting in it. Also remember if we had done that with Clemsom, we would have won that game. LSU was not under-rated, They still had the best RB probably in the country. Out defense just shut them down and forced the QB to beat us with his arm. I promise you LSU will still be a bowl team unless the team just quits. Remember their other loss was to a top ten team by less than a TD and that team just beat another top ten team this week. So our defense is a top twenty defense that is no doubt. The offense is still a work in progress but definitely looked better and more organized this week. Can they improve on first downs and RZ plays ? Yes, and I think they will. WDE 

7 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Ya know, I get that "average at best" QB is a pretty common opinion of SW amongst many of the AU faithful, but there's just something that tells me by the time SW is done at AU, that opinion will no longer be common. I think the kid has the ability to light it up. I hope I turn out to be right. That said, a lot of teams win with average QBs. AU for example has won its share of games with QBs that never even sniffed the next level without buying a ticket. 

Average talent can go a long way in the right system. Chris Todd and Brandon Cox says hello. One of the two is peculiar as his OC is the same coach that lets our offense routinely hit the wall in the RZ this year.

5 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

^^^ This...     and their guy's are gonna be real fired up to play after losing a coach they loved.

BTW speaking of LSU's QB....

MUCH props to that kid... he may be "average" but he took some SHOTS and kept getting back up. Kept playing hard even AFTER the clock ran out... Tough kid.

He's a gamer for sure

I'd try to answer the OP's question, but I feel a little bit of motion sickness....

Our defense played GREAT but LSU's offense stinks?....Leonard Fournette had just over 100 yards.  He is a monster

Our offense STINKS but LSU's defense is great?....We put up 388 yards on 'em

Sean White is below average but had a 73% completion rate an no int's?...

We beat a good team that has A LOT of talent and our turn signal is at least blinking now....just got to turn the wheel.  These guys are learning how to win.

May have been covered already but the quick slants across the middle seemed to work well with SW having such short time to throw! Why aren't we using it more to beat the guick blitzes?

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

i thought we were trying to win championships not just field a team.

2 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

i thought we were trying to win championships not just field a team.

Well...lessee here. From my earlier comment which you quoted: "...there's just something that tells me by the time SW is done at AU, that opinion will no longer be common. I think the kid has the ability to light it up. I hope I turn out to be right. "

I do not think that SW will be considered average by the time he is done. And I do believe that in an offense geared to what he can do in the passing game, AU can in fact win championships. Time will tell.

14 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I personally will not be surprised if Orgeron gets 'em on a roll. There's a TON of talent on that team. And USC in the year Orgeron took over for Kiffin had been utterly inept on offense but suddenly was moving the ball and scoring points like they'd been expected to. Orgeron's record as interim HC at USC was 6-2.

I have no qualms that Orgeron can manage the team... I just think they are screwed with Ensminger running the O, and I think the team is going to be mentally messed up about Les being fired.  The powers that be really screwed with these kids over the past couple of years.  I bet a lot of them are VERY unhappy right now.

On 9/25/2016 at 10:23 AM, WFE12 said:

Can't say a team turned a corner when it can't even score a TD. 

We approached the corner in this game and gained some acceleration that will be needed to get through a tough October.  Hopefully they use this week to get timing down, gain experience, and get creative with the playbook. 

I think it's modestly encouraging. LSU has its struggles. We already knew our defense was strong -- I think they're very, very strong. The most encouraging things to me are (a) running successfully if not spectacularly against LSU and (b) getting the ball downfield in our passing game. I doubt we'll win any more games on just field goals.

The good scenario: Things are slowing down for White and the receivers, the blocking seems to be coming together, and our offense will continue to improve. If that's the case, our whole team will keep getting better.

Other happy news: Everybody on our schedule but Ole Miss and Alabama is down right now. We stand good chances against State, Arkansas, and Georgia. But none of those will come easily. And who's to say a defense like ours can't get an upset over a really good team?

1 hour ago, keesler said:

get creative with the playbook. 

Getting creative with the playbook resulted in 5 players taking the snap and that Chandler Cox pirouette play.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I have no qualms that Orgeron can manage the team... I just think they are screwed with Ensminger running the O, and I think the team is going to be mentally messed up about Les being fired.  The powers that be really screwed with these kids over the past couple of years.  I bet a lot of them are VERY unhappy right now.

Yup! I was talking about that on another forum when it was announced:

http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2016/9/25/13051572/-steve-ensminger-call-plays-lsu-football-2016

Wow. Don't they know that Ensmiger without Nall is only half of the Nallsminger package?  If your gonna go 'Sminger, may as well go all the way and do Nallsminger. Settle for no imitations!

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

IMO beat a very bad lsu team. But any win against lsu, uga and uat are huge. 

That "very bad" LSWho team may not be a world beater, but they're dang talented, and their opening loss to Wisky (which looked terrible at the time) isn't looking quote so bad now that Wisky seems to be turning out to be actually pretty stout. Did you see the Badgers claw the legs of the Spartans in East Lansing this past weekend? Left 'em nothing but bloody stumps.

Archived