Did we turn a corner or beat an overrated team?

MichAU12

3 hours ago, selias said:

Getting creative with the playbook resulted in 5 players taking the snap and that Chandler Cox pirouette play.

Creative as in less predictable.  Shake things up a bit, utilize a TE, get some of those highly rated WRs into the mix.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Hard to see the ball in the pic you posted, but I saw another pic of it and it was pretty clear that the ball had left his hand and part of his right heel was still on or behind the LOS.  In any case, I doubt you could find irrefutable evidence that he had crossed the LOS.

As far as the receiver moving on the last play, it is legal for a receiver to be in motion on the snap as long as he hasn't come set and isn't moving forward I think, so not sure if that should have been a penalty or not.

Last, I read another site that said the illegal shift on the previous play was incorrectly assessed as a live ball foul and should have been called a false start which is a dead ball foul and therefore would have resulted in a 10 second runoff and game over.  That may be interpretation of the not being set rule though.  At least replay got it right that the game clock was 0 on the last play and the ball was clearly not snapped when that happened.  Be interesting to see if the SEC has any comment on the way all that crap went down on the last two plays.

The Receiver was not the only player moving therefore he/the others must be set for one second or it is illegal shift.  Correct call would have been to flag for movement then sort it out after the play.

On 9/25/2016 at 10:02 AM, msza said:

Did we turn a corner or beat an overrated team?

Both.

Over the past couple of years we couldn't even beat overrated teams.

Bingo!!!! Remember UGA last year? Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda. We need to win these type games and even though it was UGLY we finally did... so maybe this will kick start us back into playing like a contender instead of a pretender. We need to beat teams like MSU and VANDY. We need to have a chance to beat ARK and UGA in the 4th. OM will be a tall order this year and we are not beating AL unless we improve significantly. But we are only 4 games into the season so I am holding out hope. 

Side note: LSU is not very good but Les was a decent coach. Now that he is gone I think they may lose 5 games this year. They will probably lose to TAM, AL, and OM. They may even lose to FL which will put them at 6-6. 

Just a quick note about whether LSU was any good or not...

LSU is obviously no offensive juggernaut early this season, but let's step back for a second when deciding what kind of team they were when they came to Jordan-Hare.

First, yeah, they are 2-2. But that opening loss to Wisconsin at Green Bay which looked so awful at the time looks a little different now that Wisky has apparently turned out to be much better than anyone though. (Did no one else notice what Wisky did to a normally stout defense when they went to East Lansing and utterly annihilated Michigan State this past weekend?) Wisky is a legitimate top ten team. And they sure as heck did not do to LSU what they did to Mark D'Antonio's Michigan State.

Speaking of top ten team...

Our AU Tigers were 1-2 coming into this past weekend's game against the 'Who. Those two losses? Both against what now appear to be legitimate top ten teams, (Heck, Clemson was #2 when they came to town.)  And neither loss was a blowout. Our Tigers had two shots to win that Clemson game at the end with two throws to the end zone. We just didn't quite make it. Imagine how different the season looks if one of those last two passes connects rather than being successfully defended and knocked down?

So both LSU and our own Tigers are 2-2. LSU lost to a top ten team and us. And our Tigers lost to two top ten teams and beat an LSU team that did not lose by much to now top ten Wisconsin.

It may be that LSU turns out to be a pretty good team. And while I'm at it, it may also turn out that our own set of Tigers has some teeth also!

11 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Just a quick note about whether LSU was any good or not...

LSU is obviously no offensive juggernaut early this season, but let's step back for a second when deciding what kind of team they were when they came to Jordan-Hare.

First, yeah, they are 2-2. But that opening loss to Wisconsin at Green Bay which looked so awful at the time looks a little different now that Wisky has apparently turned out to be much better than anyone though. (Did no one else notice what Wisky did to a normally stout defense when they went to East Lansing and utterly annihilated Michigan State this past weekend?) Wisky is a legitimate top ten team. And they sure as heck did not do to LSU what they did to Mark D'Antonio's Michigan State.

Speaking of top ten team...

Our AU Tigers were 1-2 coming into this past weekend's game against the 'Who. Those two losses? Both against what now appear to be legitimate top ten teams, (Heck, Clemson was #2 when they came to town.)  And neither loss was a blowout. Our Tigers had two shots to win that Clemson game at the end with two throws to the end zone. We just didn't quite make it. Imagine how different the season looks if one of those last two passes connects rather than being successfully defended and knocked down?

So both LSU and our own Tigers are 2-2. LSU lost to a top ten team and us. And our Tigers lost to two top ten teams and beat an LSU team that did not lose by much to now top ten Wisconsin.

It may be that LSU turns out to be a pretty good team. And while I'm at it, it may also turn out that our own set of Tigers has some teeth also!

Making me feel better already.

AU shores up the O-line and finds some creativity and this team still has a chance to be good, if not very good.

Positive vibes makin' a comeback!

War Eagle!

Beating LSU's talent alone makes Auburn's victory alone a top notch win. We desperately needed it.Doesn't matter if we won by FGs or by forty. Was our win partly achieved because LSU is having cataclysmic offensive problems as well, absolutely!  However, our defense was better than their defense that game and our FG kicker was better than their FG kicker so we won the game.

We are not going to pass the proverbial eye test all season long so we need to rack up the wins any way that we can. 

Oh, and Sean White suxeses!! :moon:

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Beating LSU's talent alone makes Auburn's victory alone a top notch win. We desperately needed it.Doesn't matter if we won by FGs or by forty. Was our win partly achieved because LSU is having cataclysmic offensive problems as well, absolutely!  However, our defense was better than their defense that game and our FG kicker was better than their FG kicker so we won the game.

We are not going to pass the proverbial eye test all season long so we need to rack up the wins any way that we can. 

Oh, and Sean White suxeses!! :moon:

I think winning a game in this fashion is so critical because we have learned that as long as we keep our composure, we will win in close games. If it was a blowout, we'd be feeling good about ourselves, and when it comes to a close game, we may be feeling the pressure cooker. Plus it was a night time, against a quality SEC team who had our number for last few years, and the satisfaction of winning a game in a home environment.

Plus, I think, despite the horrific decisions by refs, Auburn players got to feel REAL good about winning especially when they gave LSU a touchdown in end-- that 180 degree of feeling of despair to ecstasy-- I don't think Auburn players are going to take winning for granted. We have to earn it, and we have to WORK hard to earn it. I think this could be a turning point of our season.

On 9/26/2016 at 6:09 PM, oracle79 said:

Hard to see the ball in the pic you posted, but I saw another pic of it and it was pretty clear that the ball had left his hand and part of his right heel was still on or behind the LOS.  In any case, I doubt you could find irrefutable evidence that he had crossed the LOS.

As far as the receiver moving on the last play, it is legal for a receiver to be in motion on the snap as long as he hasn't come set and isn't moving forward I think, so not sure if that should have been a penalty or not.

Last, I read another site that said the illegal shift on the previous play was incorrectly assessed as a live ball foul and should have been called a false start which is a dead ball foul and therefore would have resulted in a 10 second runoff and game over.  That may be interpretation of the not being set rule though.  At least replay got it right that the game clock was 0 on the last play and the ball was clearly not snapped when that happened.  Be interesting to see if the SEC has any comment on the way all that crap went down on the last two plays.

You can be in motion on the snap if you are moving lateral or backwards (if you are moving foward you have to be set 1 second b4 snap); however the rule is that you have to be SET for 1 seconds PRIOR to going into motion.  IE... you have to go to the line, get set and then go in motion.  He was never SET for a Second FIRST... he basically came from the middle of the field where everyone was gathered.  

23 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Let's never forget ever that beating LSU or uga or uat is damn AUsome. I don't care one bit if they are down or not. Ever. I know I dang sure celebrated last Saturday night. 

Yep.

23 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Let's never forget ever that beating LSU or uga or uat is damn AUsome. I don't care one bit if they are down or not. Ever. I know I dang sure celebrated last Saturday night. 

Exactly! This win partially makes up for the phantom whistle/earthquake game.  That play/game still makes me mad!

11 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

Exactly! This win partially makes up for the phantom whistle/earthquake game.  That play/game still makes me mad!

Phantom whistle game and earthquake game were two different games.  Phantom whistle was 1995 and earthquake game was 1988.

wde

Archived