Did we turn a corner or beat an overrated team?

MichAU12

3 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

sean white didnt win the game. the defense won this game and our field goal kicker. sean white played below average. open your eyes!

I don't believe I said SW won the game, I said the offense performed good enough to win.  I did say SW could get the W in a close game, similar to a baseball pitcher getting a win even though he didn't produce any offense.  SW is the offensive leader and his win total is one higher then it was before the game.  However, I do believe SW played better than below average with my eyes open.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tiger Scout said:

sean white didnt win the game. the defense won this game and our field goal kicker. sean white played below average. open your eyes!

Ya know, if a 73 percent completion rate with no INT's is below average, I'm curious to know what you think "average" is.  Maybe you should check out StatTiger's Upon Further Review post. (He answered some questions for me there.) Or maybe like that old teacher from My Cousin Vinny, it's time for you to get some thicker glasses. :big:

he made no outstanding plays. he threw to guys that were wide open a few times and handed off. he also couldn t score a touchdown. he just couldnt make a big play. we should have lost and we are lucky we didnt. he gave us the same performance as clemson and texas a&m games which we lost. we wont win many games this year or next year if we dont find a way to get better qb play. thank god we have a top 10 defense or we would be getting blown out every game.

19 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don't believe I said SW won the game, I said the offense performed good enough to win.  I did say SW could get the W in a close game, similar to a baseball pitcher getting a win even though he didn't produce any offense.  SW is the offensive leader and his win total is one higher then it was before the game.  However, I do believe SW played better than below average with my eyes open.

I agree our D and our Heisman trophy worthy kicker won this game for us...

But
Sw and the O did play good enough to win and got us down into the red zone on numerous occasions (accounting for the field goals) and it's mainly the play calling and coaches fault we didn't get at least one or two touchdowns out of it... (there were a couple of execution issues but you gotta figure that's gonna happen and sometimes they just beat you on a play) the coaches have GOT to figure out a fix for that if we want to have a competitive game against the better teams.

and not only are the coaches going to have to figure out some adjustments...

but then the GOOD teams are going to adjust based on what we do to fix things, and then the coaches are going to HAVE to be ready for THAT to... and continue to make positive adjustments going forward sometimes in real time during the games against good D coordinators (Chavis flat out coached us.)

I guess what I've been saying is... and I think everybody sees, it's basically on the coaches to make adjustments and earn their paychecks so to speak.

I Think we do have an overall group of team talent and we could be REALLY good, but I also don't know that we have the once in a lifetime star athletes at key positions so that they can overcome busted plays, coaching or questionable play calling. So the pressure is on the coaches to scheme and make adjustments maybe even more so than in the past.

In the past I think we have schemed to our strengths primarily and exploited break downs in the other D...

I think we are now going to not only play / scheme to our strengths, but we can not afford to wait for a BREAKDOWN in their D for a big play...

we must now actually intentionally also scheme to the other teams weakness and work to CREATE break downs by OUR scheme (hit em where they ain't to borrow a baseball thing..)and not only JUST using the HUNH stress the D into breakdowns which we can still also use btw...   

It can be done, but i'm not sure how well this O staff (RL) can do it consistently and make real time adjustments. I think he will have to earn that paycheck. 

I missed the game last night due to family obligations but I'm watching my recording as we speak..

I see two good D's and two O's with 1 major problem (each).  LSU's QB is not good and AU's O-line is Soft.  Thus 1 TD the whole game.

If LSU had a decent QB, they win handily.  

If AU had a decent O-line, then AU wins handily.  

If LSU has a good QB & AU has a good O-line then the game ends like it did.....but with more offense.

This was the Achilles Heel Bowl.

I believe Gus when he says "we're close".  Toughen up the O-line and AU's a dang good team.

The only reason AU won that game is because LSU has no offense and mismanaged the clock. White is the poster child of a game manager. They fall behind against most of the other teams on their schedule, they're done.

LSU's defense is pretty good. They're much like us on offense in that they manage to do less with a lot of talent on offense. Anytime we win it's good and it helps the confidence of our team but I don't think we can say we turned a corner winning this game b/c we still have a long way to go on offense. Teams like Arky, Ole Miss, Bama and maybe UGA (as the season goes on) will score points (TDs) and we can't expect to win those games kicking FGs and with our vanilla playcalling. I hope it's not false hope but we still have a lot of work to do. 

3 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

I looked at the video again and I think you were right. His left toe was right on the line so I don't know if that qualifies as his whole body, but it was very close. I guess I won't be asked to be a replay official :-) It's history now !!!

His left toe was on the BSPN TV line across the screen. However that was not the line of scrimmage. He was clearly all the way across the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball but the ball is snapped with zero seconds on the clock, so It just doesn't matter.

We are growing in front of our eyes, as I see it. As someone said this team would've lost this game last year -- see our game vs UGA last season. This is progress. We have so many young guys who did not know how to win games last year. It started off similarly this season vs TAMU and Clemson (and those teams are both top 10), but this team may be turning a mental corner if nothing else. Winning a close game was huge in getting over a hump. The team has major reason for confidence now. Keep in mind our contributors mainly have minimal experience under their belts other than the DL and just did not know how to finish and win games. This bodes extremely well for our future IF we can get improvement from the OL.

17 hours ago, WDavE said:

Not to get off topic but KJ is starting to remind me of Kenny Irons running the ball.

I think that one time he absolutely trucked the LSU defender is going to give him some confidence moving forward.

18 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I think Miles getting fired answers this question

I hope I'm wrong...

In a way, I agree.  LSU was overrated but, they have a lot of talent.  Overrated doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad team, just not a top 10 team.  

Well... they will certainly appear to be overrated now. I would be shocked if firing Miles doesn't absolutely tank their season... especially with Ensminger as the new OC and a long since should have retired coach as D-Line coach.  They are going to struggle to get through the year.

We played vs a really good Defense.  I read on twitter yesterday that the 388 yards we had on offense was the most a D. Aranda coached defense has given up since wisc lost to Alabama on last years opener. 

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

As a team overall LSU was overrated. But the individual players on their team, that our guys had to beat man to man in order to win the game, are certainly not overrated. 

Out of likes but I'm just noting that I like this post.

22 hours ago, Tiger Scout said:

Just now saw this....no way in hell you can make that performance below average. Don't root against this man. I understand there are a couple of posters that will damn near make you have to point out some stuff because he's not held accountable to anything bad but no way to objectively make his performance below average. Now you might be able to make a case that's it's not all SEC or whatever but he played a good game. If I put it on a number scale the fan boys are saying 9 but it would be a 10 if it wasn't for everybody else. But realistically have to give him at least a 7. He's making all the safe throws. But right now that's what we need. 

21 hours ago, AU-24 said:

His left toe was on the BSPN TV line across the screen. However that was not the line of scrimmage. He was clearly all the way across the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball but the ball is snapped with zero seconds on the clock, so It just doesn't matter.

Actually, it was the LOS.  The tip of the ball was placed on the back edge of the 15 yard line right were the TV LOS was drawn.  His foot/heel was behind that line when he released the ball.  There was a Zebra standing RIGHT on the LOS about 1 yard away when he threw it.  I don't think replay would have reversed that.  However, the outstanding zebras missed the simple fact that the WR was still in motion and had not been set for 1 second prior to the snap... so it should have been another flag for that alone... thank god the clock had actually expired or we would have been screwed.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

6 minutes ago, Bathel said:

Actually, it was the LOS.  The tip of the ball was placed on the back edge of the 15 yard line right were the TV LOS was drawn.  His foot/heel was behind that line when he released the ball.  There was a Zebra standing RIGHT on the LOS about 1 yard away when he threw it.  I don't think replay would have reversed that.  However, the outstanding zebras missed the simple fact that the WR was still in motion and had not been set for 1 second prior to the snap... so it should have been another flag for that alone... thank god the clock had actually expired or we would have been screwed.

I'm thankful for the TigerTron video board and instant replay officiating. In days gone by, without instant replay especially, our Tigers would have been shafted out this win.

11 minutes ago, Bathel said:

I don't think replay would have reversed that.  However, the outstanding zebras missed the simple fact that the WR was still in motion and had not been set for 1 second prior to the snap... so it should have been another flag for that alone... 

And as WarTiger pointed out, there was also Offensive Pass Interference, since Fournette blocked Holsey, who might have made a play on the ball, while the ball was in the air.

Archived