Coach's Corner: Auburn vs Ole Miss....

JMR

Great analysis, JMR.  I look forward to your post before each weekend's game.  Could you recheck the Auburn record in your opening paragraph?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Great analysis, JMR.  I look forward to your post before each weekend's game.  Could you recheck the Auburn record in your opening paragraph?

Thanks!  Fat fingers got me!

Thanks as always Coach and War Eagle !!!

• Like 1

Thanks, coach. Great analysis as always. Do you think there is a possibility that we see a two-back set with KJ and KP? Seems like that wrinkle might open up all kinds of options for the running game. 

• Like 1

Excellent job with everything we need to account for Saturday. I think that we will hit Kelly early and often to the point he becomes totally frustrated and starts making bad throws as he tries to get his team some offensive success. I would not be surprised to see OM have less than 350 total yards by the time 60 minutes elapses. We could have 3-4 picks due to the frustration of having his passing game shut down.

I do not see Auburn being over confident whatsoever. Our players will be schooled to play with confidence and a hunger to leave VHS with a solid win under our belts. The OM defense will be worn out by the middle of the 2nd quarter. They just do not have the excellent depth that we have on both sides of the ball. Our guys will remember very well the loss last season to OM. Neither team is the 2015 team.

We are significantly much better than at anytime last season on both sides of the ball. OM lost a lot of excellent talent to the NFL and graduation from their 2015 team. I see no drop off whatsoever from the Arkansas game last week. We have a lot of things going our way that have been earned one play at a time. We will take nothing for granted and will play that way. I do not think their overall team speed is on par with ours. Speed kills and we will demonstrate this early and often.

• Like 1

Have to say that I appreciate your ability to be totally diplomatic in your assessment. You have a way of finding the positives in every team even when I know that you probably want to say that, based on their weaknesses, we're going to curb stomp them. I look forward to reading your Vandy review. It will probably be the most positive review they get all year.

Here's hoping we keep Engram in check and Kelly on his back.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tony Buford said:

Thanks, coach. Great analysis as always. Do you think there is a possibility that we see a two-back set with KJ and KP? Seems like that wrinkle might open up all kinds of options for the running game. 

TB, it's obviously possible, but it would likely be for a sequence of plays we haven't seen to this point. One would think we are constantly tinkering with ways to give opponents something they are unprepared for. There are certainly a myriad of those, but I have no guess on what Lashlee and Hand might do in that vein. Obviously, those two guys in the backfield would be a wrinkle in the linebacker and safety keys that they haven't discussed or practiced on all week. I've always liked to have something like that to open the second half with, so there is no chance for halftime adjustments. 

8 hours ago, JMR said:

TB, it's obviously possible, but it would likely be for a sequence of plays we haven't seen to this point. One would think we are constantly tinkering with ways to give opponents something they are unprepared for. There are certainly a myriad of those, but I have no guess on what Lashlee and Hand might do in that vein. Obviously, those two guys in the backfield would be a wrinkle in the linebacker and safety keys that they haven't discussed or practiced on all week. I've always liked to have something like that to open the second half with, so there is no chance for halftime adjustments. 

Great point

Good info. Even though OM is poor against the run I imagine their game plan will be to stop our run and force us to throw to win. Our run game may be good enough to overcome that no matter but I expect we will look more like the first half of MSU game than last week against Arky. 

37 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Good info. Even though OM is poor against the run I imagine their game plan will be to stop our run and force us to throw to win. Our run game may be good enough to overcome that no matter but I expect we will look more like the first half of MSU game than last week against Arky. 

Huh. I thought the first half of MSU and the entire Arky game were pretty identical..

Great write up. I agree on all fronts.

However...One thing caught me off guard. 

"He spent a total of 8 years at Miami, where his quarterbacks threw for almost 15,000 yards. In other words, he’s about throwing the ball."

Assuming zero post season and 11 game seasons (88 games)...that's only 170 yds/game.  Every game over 11 per year they played takes that number even lower.   For reference, this year 170 yds/game would rank 111th in the country.  Have I had a stroke and don't realize it?  These numbers suggest the exact opposite of being "about throwing the ball". Am I missing something?  (quite possible :) )

3 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Huh. I thought the first half of MSU and the entire Arky game were pretty identical..

I thought we threw the ball more in the first half of the MSU game. 

Looks like we threw for about 150 plus in first half against MSU and maybe 70 or so against Arky first half, so different offensive approaches with good results. 

Edited by 80Tiger
New info

3 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Great write up. I agree on all fronts.

However...One thing caught me off guard. 

"He spent a total of 8 years at Miami, where his quarterbacks threw for almost 15,000 yards. In other words, he’s about throwing the ball."

Assuming zero post season and 11 game seasons (88 games)...that's only 170 yds/game.  Every game over 11 per year they played takes that number even lower.   For reference, this year 170 yds/game would rank 111th in the country.  Have I had a stroke and don't realize it?  These numbers suggest the exact opposite of being "about throwing the ball". Am I missing something?  (quite possible :) )

Actually, the yardage was 14,500, and that was during his last 5 years at Miami (2001-2005).  

On 10/28/2016 at 10:41 AM, lionheartkc said:

Have to say that I appreciate your ability to be totally diplomatic in your assessment. You have a way of finding the positives in every team even when I know that you probably want to say that, based on their weaknesses, we're going to curb stomp them. I look forward to reading your Vandy review. It will probably be the most positive review they get all year.

On 10/28/2016 at 10:41 AM, lionheartkc said:

That last line is the key to Ole MIss' side of the scrimmage...on our side we need to play like Auburn has the past 2 weeks!

6 hours ago, JMR said:

Actually, the yardage was 14,500, and that was during his last 5 years at Miami (2001-2005).  

Ahhh. Take 5 years instead of 8 and that's a huge difference!   Thanks for clarifying. I was sure something was off there :)