Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think that is accurate.  In fact, Gus struggled as an OC when he was reigned in too tightly.  Something no one has mentioned, to my knowledge, is that Gus's biggest problem may be that he has been in the SEC to long.  Outside of the SEC, the longest he's been in any conference is 2 years.  SEC defensive coordinators have had an excessive amount of time to figure out the wrinkles that he has brought with him to every stop.  Now he needs new wrinkles.

It ain't just the SEC defensive coordinators that have figured out the guru's scheme.  

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think that is accurate.  In fact, Gus struggled as an OC when he was reigned in too tightly.  Something no one has mentioned, to my knowledge, is that Gus's biggest problem may be that he has been in the SEC to long.  Outside of the SEC, the longest he's been in any conference is 2 years.  SEC defensive coordinators have had an excessive amount of time to figure out the wrinkles that he has brought with him to every stop.  Now he needs new wrinkles.

I would also point out the years he did well as OC or HC here, were years we have a game changer as QB (cam) or RB (Tre).  I will also point out that it took 3 or 4 games before Gus and/or Chiz figured out how to use him correctly (IE Let him extend plays outside the pocket).  If you remember, the first few games press conference they talked about keeping Cam inside the pocket more...

Anyway, I think Gus can be a leader and a HC... but to be honest, I don't find him to be a very good Offensive guy... I don't think he understands scheme with much depth (or maybe better put is that he only knows ONE scheme) and he seems to be lacking knowledge of development... IMO.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

No you didn't. You told me that Kap missed games. You didn't mention that the games he missed would've been tough anyway. I guess I could point out that Guice was only a backup. I guess you could say that if he was the number one starter, he would have more than a 163 yard lead.

Ah... so once again, you only read PART of what I wrote.  The games he missed WOULD NOT have been tough anyway. He missed Louisiana Monroe and and Alabama A&M. Only someone who is either dillusional or unable to admit they are wrong would argue that, based on his record, he would have racked up less than 164 yards total against 2 cupcakes, considering that, when not injured, he averaged 150 yards per game against ALL opponents.

Whether Guice was a back-up or not is irrelevant.  He played a full schedule and his number is his number.  The discussion is whether, if Kam had stayed healthy, it could be logically assumed that he would have been the #1 back in the SEC.  The answer is yes.

End of conversation. I  have stuff to do.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

While I agree that it is an example of over the top loyalty, can you imagine justifying the firing of an OC who, on paper, did his job? I mean, he had the top two offensive players in the league prior to injury.  He improved the number of conference wins. He even got credit for being the turn around in the offense after 3 games. It's hard to justify firing someone for that, except to those of us who see that there are deeper circumstances at play.

If I wanted to keep my damn job paying me +$4mm/yr and it was obvious to anyone with a brain that my offense is ineffective, poorly prepared, and has digressed in the last 2 1/2 seasons...then hell yeah I can justify firing my OC and i wouldn't care if he was a buddy or not.  In big time football you better have a killer instinct and put self preservation above the QB you coached 15 yrs ago in freaking high school.

36 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Whether Guice was a back-up or not is irrelevant.  He played a full schedule

As a backup... less carries, less yards. Totally pertinent.

36 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The games he missed WOULD NOT have been tough anyways

We never pound our RBs against weaker foes when we don't have to. I was talking about the important games after the Vandy injury. 

I don't care what you say, Guice was the SEC's leading rusher and won it with over 7.5 yards per carry. He did all of that despite having five or less carries in four regular season games. 

Well since Gus doesn't seem to won't to let Lashlee go, then when we go 8-5 or 7-6 again, hopefully Malzahn and Lashlee will be fired on the same day.

8 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Well since Gus doesn't seem to won't to let Lashlee go, then when we go 8-5 or 7-6 again, hopefully Malzahn and Lashlee will be fired on the same day.

I don't think that's how it works.

First they'll fire Gus.  Then they'll fire Rhett over the summer.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't think that's how it works.

First they'll fire Gus.  Then they'll fire Rhett over the summer.

Maybe they'll fire Gus after the regular season and name RL interim HC, and fire him after the bowl game?  That would be awesome!

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Whether Guice was a back-up or not is irrelevant.  He played a full schedule and his number is his number.  The discussion is whether, if Kam had stayed healthy, it could be logically assumed that he would have been the #1 back in the SEC.  The answer is yes.

End of conversation. I  have stuff to do.

Guice won the SEC rushing title as a backup that didn't reach six carries in four regular season games, but logically, KP really won the SEC rushing title. 

:jossun:

1 hour ago, Bathel said:

I would also point out the years he did well as OC or HC here, were years we have a game changer as QB (cam) or RB (Tre). 

I really enjoyed watching Tre follow Prosch into the hole and his interaction with Marshall, but Tre was no game changer at RB. He was pretty good, and had great balance, but not elite.

The trio of Prosch, Tre and Marshall was fun to watch when they had it going. It was nice to have Sammie Coates and Uzomah in the passing game too. 

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I really enjoyed watching Tre follow Prosch into the hole and his interaction with Marshall, but Tre was no game changer at RB. He was pretty good, and had great balance, but not elite.

The trio of Prosch, Tre and Marshall was fun to watch when they had it going. It was nice to have Sammie Coates and Uzomah in the passing game too. 

Fun to watch, damn' near magically effective, and hugely multidimensional in any sense of the word.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Tell that to Missouri...

CAP may have done the same thing that game, given those carries.  I really enjoyed watching him play, but he wasn't an elite back. 

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

CAP may have done the same thing that game, given those carries.  I really enjoyed watching him play, but he wasn't an elite back. 

How many times did the main overhead TV camera follow the wrong guy after a Marshall/Mason mesh?

How many times did it happen with any other back?

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but I would say that being one of two running backs that were Heisman finalists and widely being considered at least in the top 5 backs in the country in 2013 is some pretty elite territory.

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I think Gus and Herb Hand need to watch more film on what they did at Tulsa in 2007 & 2008.

I often wonder how much more of a passing attack we might have had if they hadn't spent so much time in the off-season trying to get Franklin ready to run the offense.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I often wonder how much more of a passing attack we might have had if they hadn't spent so much time in the off-season trying to get Franklin ready to run the offense.

Deleted after edit. Misunderstood your original comment.

Just now, thaitopher said:

None. There is no coach in the country that would have been able to develop Franklin. Let's just accept the fact that he isn't a good  quarterback.  

I think you missed what I was saying.  I was saying had they not spent all of the time on Franklin and concentrated on getting the team ready for White as the QB, we might have had a more advanced passing attack.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think you missed what I was saying.  I was saying had they not spent all of the time on Franklin and concentrated on getting the team ready for White as the QB, we might have had a more advanced passing attack.

I did. See my edited comment above. 

21 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Astute!

Unanswerable, after the fact, but sharp as hell and potentially troubling nonetheless.

(also clarifies some of your previously posted "PTB suspicions" for me)

4 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Astute!

Unanswerable, after the fact, but sharp as hell and potentially troubling nonetheless.

(also clarifies some of your previously posted "PTB suspicions" for me)

Thanks... I try :)  And yes... annoying at best and troubling at worst.

Archived