Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

12 hours ago, corchjay said:

Baylor was still 10-18 with over 100 yards passing in the game enough to keep them honest in coverage but ran the ball 84 times.  They got on a roll and UNC had no answer at all and when UNC had a chance to get back in the game they quickly fumbled the ball late in the 3rd qtr.

Therein lies Gus'/Rhett's Achilles heel...

When the running game does get on a roll, those two appear to be geniouses (see middle of this season against middling to bad D's).

However, when the opposition has the run game (and seemingly, the play calls) figured out, neither has a plan B .... like never.  

Then it's deer in the headlights mode and they just go either MORE conservative or full-on Barnum & Bailey Clown Show.

Gus/Rhett needs to either attend some pass coaching clinics or hire a separate passing game coordinator (which I hate separate coordinators) or I just don't see Stidham making THAT much difference.  ...Not Stidham's fault, they just won't use him right.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/4/2017 at 9:03 AM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

just for what it's worth comment: As bad as the 16 point loss to a #7 Oklahoma team a 16 points to remember to put it in perspective. uat lost to #10 Oklahoma in the Sugar bowl in 2014 by 14 points,. Not only that saban has lost all 3 Sugar Bowls that his team has played in including a 14 point loss to Utah in 2009 and OSU by 5 points in 2015. And during all that time people claim he was the best ever. While I am not happy I do want folks that things are never as bad or good as they look at a certain moment in time. Maybe the writer from AL.com ought to have written his hit piece against saban back then also.  WDE

SMH.... wow.... just wow... I'm not even sure what to say to that post.  The state of Auburn football and the state of uat football after losing the sugar bowl are two complete different directions.  I'm just embarrassed that you could even post this with any seriousness... 

On 1/3/2017 at 4:58 PM, selias said:

12-2 (7-1)

8-5 (4-4)

7-6 (2-6)

8-5 (5-3)

To me it looks like that first year was an anomaly.

Let us not forget that in 2013 we got a late win over Washington St and a last second/minute win against MSU, UGA, aTm and uat... that 12-2 could have easily been 8-5... of course we had some close losses in those 8-5, 7-6 years to be fair...

My biggest complaint isn't really the "record" in wins and losses... it's the record of progression and getting better... which I don't see.  We seem to get a good player every now and then that changes our season.  Not because of the coaching, but because of their raw talent.  I just don't see much development in any of the players over 4 years... and as such, I really don't see a bright future.  If we continue down that road, the recruiting will drop and then it will even get "harder" to get out of this hole.  

It seems that we are either standing still at the best case, or slowing moving backwards as a program with Gus.  That is my main problem and I don't know that there is a good answer to that, because if we fire Gus we may take a bigger step backwards... the questions is, can we keep Gus and limit him to Head Coaching functions and get a good OC to "run" the offense away from Gus? 

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol I cant tell what reaction that is.

I was bowing to your spot-on post

Basically we probably need to tank for the overall betterment of the big picture of the program but we are too talented, unless the wheels completely fall off, for us to have a record bad enough to warrant change. With this staff I'm afraid we are your NFL's perennial 8-8 team. Not good enough to contend but not bad enough to bring in upgrades. adfskjlhdsfkjlhsdaliukfahsdkljh :banghead:

My complaint is that he acted like we had a great season because we didn't finish almost last in the conference, which is where he said we were predicted to finish.

We should never be predicted to finish almost last in the conference, especially in his 4th season. 

Just now, rophle said:

My complaint is that he acted like we had a great season because we didn't finish almost last in the conference, which is where he said we were predicted to finish.

We should never be predicted to finish almost last in the conference, especially in his 4th season. 

You are correct we should never be in that position. Also, what the hell is our coach doing citing media prognostications? Like his goal was to just finish above where we were predicted and it would be a success. That mentality is not going to fly at AU. Our players deserve better because, on O, they are consistently having to play through bad game plans. The fact that Gus' best success comes from only having to run 2-3 plays over the course of an entire game is all you need to know. Make him actually a call a variety plays within the 25 second play clock and it looks like he's doing "ask corso" on playstation. He recruited JF3 with the hope that he could go back to calling 2-3 plays a game...unbelievable. Nevermind we offered him after him putting up stats against juco school of the blind and deaf while playing behind a walk-on QB at Miss St. It just just reeks of desperation.

I have been a Gus supporter longer than most but I'm sure most of you can feel me seething through my posts recently. Not my style but damn I am frustrated with this. Even with the injuries there are so many glaring red flags regarding this program under Gus' leadership that I seriously think that when we win we are winning based on recruited talent as opposed to developed talent. We led the league in players on NFL rosters after an 8-5 season. What are/were we doing with all that talent to go 8-5?

15 hours ago, Tigercj said:

Gus has never recruited a high school QB and developed said QB. He has depended on Juco QB's since coming to Auburn. 

Every time someone uses this as proof of Gus's failure, they totally destroy any point they are trying to make because our QB who, once again, had the #1 efficiency rating and #1 yards per attempt in the SEC was a QB that Gus recruited out of high school and developed. Seriously... if you want to dog on his running it up the gut on first WAY too often, go for it.  If you want to rag on him for recruiting a MAJOR project QB and then spending too much time trying to make it work, be my guest. If  you want to rail on the circus of a game plan for Clemson, I'm not standing in your way. There are plenty of things that need improving, but PLEASE stop trying to make points with blatant fallacies.    

On 1/3/2017 at 8:42 AM, AUDevil said:

I'm finally over Gus.  Too much wasted talent and undeveloped positions.  We play too sloppy and too tentative.  We coach sloppy and tentative.  The HUGE red flag was several years ago when we had several players go undrafted who are still making nice careers in the NFL 2 years later.  He's not effectively utilizing his talent...as is evident in the WR depth chart, lack of a TE weapon, and his dumb luck in finding that Pettway can run the ball.  And we're all well aware of the QB position, which his staff has screwed up now during both of his tenures.  Once he gets one thing squared away he opens himself up to another costly screw-up in another area.

One of those players not drafted nor played much at AU that comes to mind is Brandon King. Granted i know he is a main special teams guy for the Pats but it appears that they really value him on special teams and are pleased with his progress. He's doing a good job. I don't recall him getting hardly any playing time at Auburn. Bill and his staff have a great knack for finding and evaluating players like Brandon though. 

16 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

One of those players not drafted nor played much at AU that comes to mind is Brandon King. Granted i know he is a main special teams guy for the Pats but it appears that they really value him on special teams and are pleased with his progress. He's doing a good job. I don't recall him getting hardly any playing time at Auburn. Bill and his staff have a great knack for finding and evaluating players like Brandon though. 

Exactly. Not good enough to play at Auburn but good enough to make a living playing football. Solid job there, staff. 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Exactly. Not good enough to play at Auburn but good enough to make a living playing football. Solid job there, staff. 

corey grant also had a 100 yard game and a td this past weekend for the jags. another undrafted FA doing well. He was very underused his senior year in 2014. He is so talented.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

corey grant also had a 100 yard game and a td this past weekend for the jags. another undrafted FA doing well. He was very underused his senior year in 2014. He is so talented.

That being said, he got more carries at Auburn than he did under the football genius Saban.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

That being said, he got more carries at Auburn than he did under the football genius Saban.

that was a ego recruitment by saban. ones he does all the time against us. just to keep certain kids away from us. I will admit in 2013 he was beautifully used as the speed back but in 2014 his touches were down and I remember being pissed about that.

I was waiting for somebody to compare the way "legendary" Urban Meyer (mis)used Cam Newton with the plan Gus Malzahn developed for Cam before October.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

that was a ego recruitment by saban. ones he does all the time against us. just to keep certain kids away from us. I will admit in 2013 he was beautifully used as the speed back but in 2014 his touches were down and I remember being pissed about that.

Here are Corey's Stats at Auburn. Not a significant difference in carries. Played one more game in 2013. same number of touches (rushing & receiving) 2013 & 2014..

Rushing & Receiving

• * indicates bowl stats included
  •  
  • Share & more
    Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
2012 Auburn SEC SO RB 5 9 29 3.2 0         9 29 3.2 0
*2013 Auburn SEC JR RB 14 66 647 9.8 6 4 8 2.0 0 70 655 9.4 6
*2014 Auburn SEC SR RB 13 60 364 6.1 3 10 92 9.2 1 70 456 6.5 4
Career Auburn         135 1040 7.7 9 14 100 7.1 1 149 1140 7.7 10

Source

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yep. He's been active in more NFL games than Cameron Artis-Payne who was getting all the carries. I know people were saying Corey doesn't have the vision or cutting ability to be a RB1 but the guy is actually playing on Sundays while CAP rarely even makes the active gameday roster. I can't speak on the vision and cutting aspect but I do know Grant could out run you and he was strong enough to break tackles -- I still remember him putting the hurt on some LSU defenders.

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Here are Corey's Stats at Auburn. Not a significant difference in carries. Played one more game in 2013. same number of touches (rushing & receiving) 2013 & 2014..

Rushing & Receiving

•  
  • Share & more

Source

Wow the stats are certainly different than what it felt like during 2014. I'll shut up now.

47 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Rushing & Receiving

•  
  • Share & more

Source

it certainly felt like he did not receive nearly as many carries in 2014 as he did 2013. Well my point still stands. He was under utilized!!! haha He has had a better nfl career than anyone thought and mostly because he was just used as the speed back at Auburn.

44 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Wow the stats are certainly different than what it felt like during 2014. I'll shut up now.

right?! i guess when you go 8-5 everything feels different when the year before your 12-2

4 hours ago, Bathel said:

SMH.... wow.... just wow... I'm not even sure what to say to that post.  The state of Auburn football and the state of uat football after losing the sugar bowl are two complete different directions.  I'm just embarrassed that you could even post this with any seriousness... 

You are either totally ignorant or a bammer fan and I suspect both. So if uat lose a game to ok by 14 it's because they didn't enjoy going but if AU loses their starting QB and lose by the same then it's because we are on the brink of destruction. I have no doubt you are an idiot. Had we beat uga and almost did, we would have been playing uat for a chance to go to the game . We did finish as the second best team in the conference. If anyone should be ashamed it is you . Learn to keep your mouth shut so others only think your are dumb rather than open it and prove it. WDE

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

right?! i guess when you go 8-5 everything feels different when the year before your 12-2

So true, man.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That's a very important point that people need to think about in a lot of discussions around here. The disappointment of not winning games has a way of distorting reality in one's mind.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The disappointment of not winning games has a way of distorting reality in one's mind.

Shout it from the rooftops, Rev. 

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Every time someone uses this as proof of Gus's failure, they totally destroy any point they are trying to make because our QB who, once again, had the #1 efficiency rating and #1 yards per attempt in the SEC was a QB that Gus recruited out of high school and developed. Seriously... if you want to dog on his running it up the gut on first WAY too often, go for it.  If you want to rag on him for recruiting a MAJOR project QB and then spending too much time trying to make it work, be my guest. If  you want to rail on the circus of a game plan for Clemson, I'm not standing in your way. There are plenty of things that need improving, but PLEASE stop trying to make points with blatant fallacies.    

Fallacies really, I am a big fan of Shaun but he is only good in short to intermediate routes. He is not very accurate throwing a deep ball mainly because he always falls off to one side and doesn't step into the pass. I like his grit but I haven't seen anything in his past two that makes me think that Gus will develop him into anything more than he is now. 

16 minutes ago, Tigercj said:

Fallacies really, I am a big fan of Shaun but he is only good in short to intermediate routes. He is not very accurate throwing a deep ball mainly because he always falls off to one side and doesn't step into the pass. I like his grit but I haven't seen anything in his past two that makes me think that Gus will develop him into anything more than he is now. 

Some don't understand what development means, like the fact that fundamentally Sean is still the exact same QB as he was in HS.  Sean has learned the offense that is what Gus and Rhett have done

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

it certainly felt like he did not receive nearly as many carries in 2014 as he did 2013. Well my point still stands. He was under utilized!!! haha He has had a better nfl career than anyone thought and mostly because he was just used as the speed back at Auburn.

Your feeling was right. Same quantity but his quality was cut in half.  You'd have to look at those carries and identify speed sweeps vs normal RB carries.  Mayber there were more normal carries cause Mason was gone and Corey was our best 2nd choice there.  Or maybe or less effective zone read attack negatively impacted the speed sweeps and he wasn't as effective.  Whatever the reason, he wasn't utilized to be AS effective as the year before.

Archived