Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

Junior Mason was better than Freshman Dyer, but Freshman Dyer was light years better than Freshman Mason. Sophomore Dyer was pretty good, too. Too bad we never saw Junior or Senior Dyer. 

I still laugh when I think about all the people who were still calling Tre too small halfway through 2013. "We need to run the bruiser more! Give CAP the rock!" 

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

As you say, Marshall is definitely no Cam, but he was as good or better than Cam at one thing:  he had an extraordinary knack for making something out of nothing.

And that, my friend, is why we played in 2 National Championship Games. We had A LOT of great players and a lot of great plays, but if it weren't for our QBs ability to improvise and make things happen, we wouldn't have come close.  

On 1/2/2017 at 11:36 PM, aujeff11 said:

I don't even care rn. He can defend powderpuff and his completion percentage all day and I'll show Titan SW's list of road victories in two years.

@Kentucky last year

@ the s***ty Mississippi teams( defenses) this year.

powderpuff? the man puts his whole heart and soul and body into the game and you cannot leave out the smart comment? this dude played hurt for gods sake. and even when he got well wise or not he put his himself out there body and soul AGAIN ending up with a broken forearm. sounds to me like you are mad at gus and allowing that anger to belittle white. he played hard and up to his abilities before getting hurt. in a perfect world we all want to win more but i will de double damned before i make fun of a kid that is trying like hell to help get us there.

On January 8, 2017 at 11:53 PM, lionheartkc said:

That 8.1 yards counts his play while injured. He was besting the SEC prior to that and was hitting nearly 50% of his long balls, which was enough to keep defenses honest, but certainly not game breaking by any stretch of the imagination. No one stacked 9 in the box while Sean was healthy. That's why we won when he was.

I agree that our current offense is not optimum for Sean... or Stidham for that matter. Hopefully now that the Franklin experiment is over, we can develop our passing game more thoroughly.

As I have stated before I like Sean but he doesn't throw a good deep ball. But that doesn't mean he is not a QB who can win us 8 or 9 games just not going to win us a championship. Gus and Rhett should have recognized his mechanical flaw and helped the young man correct them. We shall see if Gus can change his offense so either or both Sean or Stidham will successful this I am not sure will happen. 

Guest WarEagleSteve
1 hour ago, Tigercj said:

As I have stated before I like Sean but he doesn't throw a good deep ball. But that doesn't mean he is not a QB who can win us 8 or 9 games just not going to win us a championship. Gus and Rhett should have recognized his mechanical flaw and helped the young man correct them. We shall see if Gus can change his offense so either or both Sean or Stidham will successful this I am not sure will happen. 

I'm honestly not sure how you can watch our offense this year and come away thinking SW's "mechanical flaw" is the reason for our anemic passing game. Yes, he missed several gimme deep balls this year. He also connected on many of them as well. You know who else does that? Literally every quarterback ever. The main reason you noticed SW doing it is because we took so few chances deep that when he did miss, it hurt more. I'm far more more concerned about our utter lack of an intermediate passing game and complete inability to throw the ball more than five yards downfield when the run game isn't working. 

10 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I'm honestly not sure how you can watch our offense this year and come away thinking SW's "mechanical flaw" is the reason for our anemic passing game. Yes, he missed several gimme deep balls this year. He also connected on many of them as well. You know who else does that? Literally every quarterback ever. The main reason you noticed SW doing it is because we took so few chances deep that when he did miss, it hurt more. I'm far more more concerned about our utter lack of an intermediate passing game and complete inability to throw the ball more than five yards downfield when the run game isn't working. 

Indeed.  If anything, White's mechanical flaw with the deep ball is a result of arm strength, but he is an otherwise accurate passer.  When that is the case, it seems obvious that you should remove emphasis on deep throws, and increase emphasis on short-intermediate throws.  With freshman receivers making an impact, we really should have been more aggressive with the passing offense.  It helps to have a reliable plan B when you end up confronted with the inevitable defense that can slow the ground game.

People used to always say "Gus tailors his offense to his players", but I do not believe that is the case.

11 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I'm far more more concerned about our utter lack of an intermediate passing game and complete inability to throw the ball more than five yards downfield when the run game isn't working. 

Of course, both of those issues are due to a lack of a back-up.  When Sean was healthy, we had an intermediate passing game and the run game worked because defenses had to honor the pass. Next year we will have a back-up who can make the passes, so that should not be a problem again.

It's funny in listening to the Championship Drive podcast this week in how everyone in reacting out of Alabama.  They are saying they would have won if their starting running back was healthy for the whole game.  Putting blame on Kiffin for not coaching Hurts up this season, that he did not do much better than when he began the season.  That once offenses had tape on Hurts, they knew how to stop him.  And since their QB did not do well, they are already suggesting Hurts will not start next year, that their new QB from Hawaii will start.  Sounds very familiar...

21 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

powderpuff? the man puts his whole heart and soul and body into the game and you cannot leave out the smart comment? this dude played hurt for gods sake. and even when he got well wise or not he put his himself out there body and soul AGAIN ending up with a broken forearm. sounds to me like you are mad at gus and allowing that anger to belittle white. he played hard and up to his abilities before getting hurt. in a perfect world we all want to win more but i will de double damned before i make fun of a kid that is trying like hell to help get us there.

Agreed. True colors of Jeff can't be hidden when comments like that are made. The guy put his body on the line about 2 weeks ago on national tv for AU just so we could get a first down....and then a "fan" comes on here and calls him powderpuff? What a sad little person aujeff must be. 

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

It's funny in listening to the Championship Drive podcast this week in how everyone in reacting out of Alabama.  They are saying they would have won if their starting running back was healthy for the whole game.  Putting blame on Kiffin for not coaching Hurts up this season, that he did not do much better than when he began the season.  That once offenses had tape on Hurts, they knew how to stop him.  And since their QB did not do well, they are already suggesting Hurts will not start next year, that their new QB from Hawaii will start.  Sounds very familiar...

If you listen or read from any fan base in the country, most are all the same and when faced with inefficient QB performance they all want the "next guy."  

Truth is, Hurts is an 18 yr old truefrosh starting for the reigning champs and he had a defense & special teams that carried the heavy load that got them to 14-0.  By mid-season everyone knew Hurts was green as a kiwi in the passing game and they knew how to "try" to make them one dimensional.  In that game vs Clemson, uat went 0-11 on third down conversions and their defense did all they could to defend against the best QB in college ball.  Watson ate them up and his WRs played lights out while Hurts looked like a green 18 yr old freshman QB playing on the big stage.  

No matter how good your defense is, if the offense goes 0-11 on 3rd down conversions then you are likely to lose the game.  Auburn fans know that feeling very well as we've had to live through it for a long while now.

20 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

If you guys want to believe Sean is the second coming then fine I do not. His arm strength is in question but yes his mechanics are bad when fall off to right instead of stepping into a throw but hey you guys believe what you want.

7 hours ago, gravejd said:

The guy put his body on the line about 2 weeks ago on national tv

Which is something we didnt want considering he was hurt the two previous games and we had no depth. Can play smart and hard. I swear it's possible.  And I didn't mean to insinuate he isn't mentally tough. What I meant was he has a body of a flower.

I'm okay though, thanks for caring.

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Which is something we didnt want considering he was hurt the two previous games and we had no depth. Can play smart and hard. I swear it's possible.  And I didn't mean to insinuate he isn't mentally tough. What I meant was he has a body of a flower.

I'm okay though, thanks for caring.

He is now in a position to be where he always should of been. A very capable backup in the sec to hopefully a stud qb.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He is now in a position to be where he always should of been. A very capable backup in the sec to hopefully a stud qb.

Pretty much like Damian Lilliard over Kylie Irving ^-^

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Pretty much like Damian Lilliard over Kylie Irving ^-^

Dame should of won mvp last year. I def agree.

SW is a good QB. He can make good passes inside of 20 yards. He is a tough competitor with no quit in him. Most of his problem with his longer passes is he does not step through it. Some of that is due to the OL not giving him enough time on the deeper routes that take longer to set up. The other part is due to his lack of height ( because of big DLs in this league) which cause him to put to much vertical launch on it which reduces distance. That said my big worry is his injuries. Two years of play he has sat out about 8 games due to injuries. The injuries came to his ankle, leg, shoulder and now arm broke. Not reoccurring injury, all new ones. Just not sure he can make it in the SEC West. Maybe he would be a good QB at some place like the ACC, Pac 12 or even the Big 12. I like JS and he has a little more size. My real hope is WB becomes the guy we think he is. I know some one will bring up NM being SW's size and that is true but NM had great Wheels. He very seldom took a solid his from defenders. It was just a knack he had. I feel better about where we are at QB going forward but I am far from convinced that we are out of the woods. I do believe that we need a dominating QB that can stay healthy for us to make a big run, but that would be true for any team. WDE

Guest WarEagleSteve
3 hours ago, Tigercj said:

If you guys want to believe Sean is the second coming then fine I do not. His arm strength is in question but yes his mechanics are bad when fall off to right instead of stepping into a throw but hey you guys believe what you want.

.....How exactly did you read my post and arrive at "Sean White is the second coming" as the central point of it? Even Evel Kneivel couldn't make that leap.

10 hours ago, War Knight said:

Can we direct our conversations away from QB? It's been exhausting over the last decade of Auburn football.

The quarterback position has defined our last two seasons, and not in a good way. Until Gus gets the most important position on the field right again, it's going to be impossible to extricate a conversation about him from quarterback talk.

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:
10 hours ago, War Knight said:

Can we direct our conversations away from QB? It's been exhausting over the last decade of Auburn football.

The quarterback position has defined our last two seasons, and not in a good way. Until Gus gets the most important position on the field right again, it's going to be impossible to extricate a conversation about him from quarterback talk.

Also, when you have a group of "fans" who spend copious amounts of time denigrating a member of our team using rumors as facts and half-baked statistics, it stands to reason that some people are going to defend that player. Even more so when said "fans" pop out of the woodwork every time that player is mentioned to get a jab in.

On January 11, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Strychnine said:

Indeed.  If anything, White's mechanical flaw with the deep ball is a result of arm strength, but he is an otherwise accurate passer.  When that is the case, it seems obvious that you should remove emphasis on deep throws, and increase emphasis on short-intermediate throws.  With freshman receivers making an impact, we really should have been more aggressive with the passing offense.  It helps to have a reliable plan B when you end up confronted with the inevitable defense that can slow the ground game.

People used to always say "Gus tailors his offense to his players", but I do not believe that is the case.

I believe it is the case. Some players don't have enough strengths to fit any strategy. 

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Also, when you have a group of "fans" who spend copious amounts of time denigrating a member of our team using rumors as facts and half-baked statistics, it stands to reason that some people are going to defend that player. Even more so when said "fans" pop out of the woodwork every time that player is mentioned to get a jab in.

Understand both points but it becomes exhausting. I think development and play calling are more to blame than any specific individuals.

Recruiting is head scratching as well. 

23 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The only stats that are "half baked" is the "copious amounts of time touting "midseason YPA or midseason completion percentages when others can see with much more clarity than you that the said stats are clearly propped up by performances against shoddy opponents: Louisiana Monroe, Arky State, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State.  And each of the listed teams were piss-poor in pass defense and run defense, and only one of the above didn't throw out the surrender flag.

However, all you care about is the opportunity to run with a two year long excuse of injuries and bad luck. The refusal to acknowledge such obvious facts is not being "loyal," it's being delusional.. So you can get over it if others don't agree with your Forever Sean White beliefs. I'm a "fan" of Auburn just as much as you too. You will never get the satisfaction in knowing otherwise so you might as well get used to it. 

Archived