Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Tigercj said:

Fallacies really, I am a big fan of Shaun but he is only good in short to intermediate routes. He is not very accurate throwing a deep ball mainly because he always falls off to one side and doesn't step into the pass. I like his grit but I haven't seen anything in his past two that makes me think that Gus will develop him into anything more than he is now. 

First, it's Sean.  Second, he has one weakness in his game... the long ball... (which, incidentally, he falls off to the side because he's putting too much into the throw... which is likely a symptom of limited arm strength) yet he still had more yards per attempt than every other QB in the SEC... and he has also saved several drives with his legs, as a non-running QB. Seems like he was developed pretty well for his abilities. 

He may very well have reached his ceiling, but that's not on Gus. 

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Whats up with the Mod calling people names?    Kind of bush league for a forum as large as this one.   It makes the forum look very amateur. 

Not sure what you are referring to, but this forum IS amateur. No one here is getting paid.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Not sure what you are referring to, but this forum IS amateur. No one here is getting paid.

OH someone is getting paid....ads aren't on here for nothing. 

Man I hate players getting hated on for no reason. The only problem with Sean's game is that he can't stay healthy. The long ball is the weakest part of his game but it's not like he can't do it. I'm pretty sure his completion percentage for throws greater that 20 yards is on par with the other top QBs. A halfway decent coach could win a lot of games with a guy like Sean at QB IMO. The fact that Sean wasn't a clear #1 starter heading into this season shows me how lost Gushlee is right now. 

Just now, gravejd said:

OH someone is getting paid....ads aren't on here for nothing. 

The ads pay for the site.  Hosting, URLs, bandwidth, etc aren't free. 

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Man I hate players getting hated on for no reason. The only problem with Sean's game is that he can't stay healthy. The long ball is the weakest part of his game but it's not like he can't do it. I'm pretty sure his completion percentage for throws greater that 20 yards is on par with the other top QBs.

Preach brother.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

but it is managed with the utmost in professionalism

(did I say that right?)

21 hours ago, Tiger said:

You are correct we should never be in that position. Also, what the hell is our coach doing citing media prognostications? Like his goal was to just finish above where we were predicted and it would be a success. That mentality is not going to fly at AU. Our players deserve better because, on O, they are consistently having to play through bad game plans.

It actually does fly at AU though.  There was a thread over the summer, I think WDEWDE made the statement that many of our coaches had pretty much said that it would take 8 wins to save their jobs this season.  

I was livid when I read that post and I pressed him for more details as I could not believe that AU coaches had that type mentality before the freaking season had even started.  The response made to me was that "every coach kinda knows what the ceiling and floor is for retaining their job security".  

Excuse me, but screw that type of attitude/mentality.  At this level of college football, your mind better be focused on winning, not on how many loses you can sustain to keep your exorbitant pay checks flowing in from Auburn.  

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

It actually does fly at AU though.  There was a thread over the summer, I think WDEWDE made the statement that many of our coaches had pretty much said that it would take 8 wins to save their jobs this season.  

I was livid when I read that post and I pressed him for more details as I could not believe that AU coaches had that type mentality before the freaking season had even started.  The response made to me was that "every coach kinda knows what the ceiling and floor is for retaining their job security".  

Excuse me, but screw that type of attitude/mentality.  At this level of college football, your mind better be focused on winning, not on how many loses you can sustain to keep your exorbitant pay checks flowing in from Auburn.  

Ugh...We are too talented and recruit too well for that type of garbage mentality where Gus was just coaching to keep his job and not win our division (which should be our goal every year). It was clear he was thinking this way the way he treated the Clemson game as just some scrimmage.

I cannot believe I feel this way about Gus in year 4.

56 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hey numnuts who you calling amateur??? I ask with peace and love....

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Hey numnuts who you calling amateur??? I ask with peace and love....

Hey... we're taking about site admining, not beer drinking.

I don't have ill will towards Gus, I've just progressively grown very apathetic towards Auburn football.  

I honestly wish he'd get his head out of his ass and fix this thing.  The last thing I care to see is a complete coaching overhaul when I watched what LSU had to settle for with 3 months to find a HC.  

I don't trust the current people in charge at AU to make a hire that will move or propel the program in an upward direction.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

First, it's Sean.  Second, he has one weakness in his game... the long ball... (which, incidentally, he falls off to the side because he's putting too much into the throw... which is likely a symptom of limited arm strength) yet he still had more yards per attempt than every other QB in the SEC... and he has also saved several drives with his legs, as a non-running QB. Seems like he was developed pretty well for his abilities. 

He may very well have reached his ceiling, but that's not on Gus. 

I just posted this exact same thing in another thread.See we do agree on most things.

What stats do y'all see that suggests SW leads the SEC in yards per attempt? Second, what makes y'all think that that stat proves that SW is better than most QBs down the field? 

SW's longest pass this year is 48 yards.

SW's longest pass last year was 47 yards.

That is freaking horrible. When was the last time we had a QB that inept at the long ball?

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What stats do y'all see that suggests SW leads the SEC in yards per attempt? Second, what makes y'all think that that stat proves that SW is better than most QBs down the field? 

SW's longest pass this year is 48 yards.

SW's longest pass last year was 47 yards.

That is freaking horrible. When was the last time we had a QB that inept at the long ball?

Sean lead the SEC in yards per attempt prior to his injury. It doesn't make anyone think that proves Sean is better than most QBs down the field.  It does prove that he is being utilized better than any other QB in the SEC, because, even without the long ball, he was getting better overall production. I know I prefer a QB who gets 100 yards in 6 passes than one that gets 70 yards in one pass play and less than 30, total in the next 5.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sean lead the SEC in yards per attempt prior to his injury.

Oh, a cherry picked stat. Guess no other QBs played injured. SW's average per attempt was roughly 11 yards before then. We all know he didn't go much above.  So I'd say many of his passes were around that number. 

know I prefer a QB who gets 100 yards in 6 passes than one that gets 70 yards in one pass play and less than 30, total in the next 5.

What an illogical statement. 

Guess it isn't possible that Auburn can get a QB with the initials of JS that has a live arm and can also complete the intermediate passes. :-\

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Oh, a cherry picked stat. Guess no other QBs played injured. 

Yes, Jeff... piles of SEC QBs played with an injured throwing shoulder.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:
10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

know I prefer a QB who gets 100 yards in 6 passes than one that gets 70 yards in one pass play and less than 30, total in the next 5.

What an illogical statement. 

Yup... totally illogical to want the QB who gets more yards.  Totally.

Yes, Jeff... piles of SEC QBs played with an injured throwing shoulder.

Yeah it is totally illogical. Anybody with half of a brain would know that. 

And to alter official stats just because of your homerism is preposterous. Can I claim Kam Pettway as SEC's leader in rushing just because he was prior to injury? Am I supposed to overlook that SW's YPA prior to injury benefitted by not playing Bama yet ? The REAL leader of the SEC YPA was Dobbs and he threw it 27 times against Bama for 96 yards. 

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You gave a false dichotomy and are too oblivious to see it. 

Whatever 

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And to alter official stats just because of your homerism is preposterous.

No one altered any stats... the truth is that you don't like Sean and haven't liked Sean since before he stepped foot on the field and you are flat out unwilling to admit that, when he's healthy, he's a darn good QB.... long ball or not. 

13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Can I claim Kam Pettway as SEC's leader in rushing just because he was prior to injury?

Yes... as a matter of fact he was.  And logic states that, had he stayed uninjured, there is a very good chance he would have held onto that title... the same holds for Sean.  However, Jeff logic somehow believes that trends are irrelevant, especially for players who you don't like.

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You gave a false dichotomy and are too oblivious to see it. 

No I didn't give a false dichotomy.  Sure you can pick it apart and say "what if the 70 yards was a touchdown and none of the 6 passes for 100 yards was", but the reality is, the job of a quarterback is to move the ball down the field and 100 yards in 6 plays is better than anything less than 100 yards in 6 plays, because it's that many yards closer to the goal line, potentially the extra yard(s) needed for a first down, etc. There are no situations where it is not better to generate more yards on offense.

No one altered any stats...

As long as you keep claiming that Sean leads the SEC in YPA, you're altering official stats for your own homerism. And it's not Sean that I dislike. It's the homers that make Sean out to be something that he is not. Don't tell me he lead the SEC in YPA prior to injury just because you don't like that somebody is talking about his nonexistent deep threat ability. It's not going to work. He has not thrown a pass over 48 yards since he has been here. Facts. 

No I didn't give a false dichotomy.

Yes you did, you gave two extremes and denied any possibility that there could be one in the middle. Please educate yourself.

Also, I don't know what you think "logic" is, but logic doesn't make predictions like Kam will finish with the most yards in the SEC. A reasonable person, though, would've compared the strengths of schedules of the remaining teams and would have seen that Kam had two really tough run defenses to go against to finish off his campaign. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

No one altered any stats... the truth is that you don't like Sean and haven't liked Sean since before he stepped foot on the field and you are flat out unwilling to admit that, when he's healthy, he's a darn good QB.... long ball or not. 

Yes... as a matter of fact he was.  And logic states that, had he stayed uninjured, there is a very good chance he would have held onto that title... the same holds for Sean.  However, Jeff logic somehow believes that trends are irrelevant, especially for players who you don't like.

No I didn't give a false dichotomy.  Sure you can pick it apart and say "what if the 70 yards was a touchdown and none of the 6 passes for 100 yards was", but the reality is, the job of a quarterback is to move the ball down the field and 100 yards in 6 plays is better than anything less than 100 yards in 6 plays, because it's that many yards closer to the goal line, potentially the extra yard(s) needed for a first down, etc. There are no situations where it is not better to generate more yards on offense.

Personally, I think he is a average/mediocre QB.  My standard for a good QB (or darn good) is a QB that can beat you with his arm.  Could he be a good QB?  Possibly, or even probably, but he never really had a chance to show us.  He did well at what he was asked to do, but I think he would have been better off in a program that runs an Air Raid.  That said, he was definitely our best option at the QB position when healthy.

I was hoping to see a more aggressive passing attack when it became obvious that Franklin was not going to start.  The coaching staff either lacked faith in his ability to run such an offense, or they lacked the ability to put one together for him to run.

14 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I think he would have been better off in a program that runs an Air Raid.

He could be good in an air raid, but he would have to get the long ball down.  Air Raid relies on it. Sean is, as many have stated, a game manager.  He's the guy who can make the passes that need to be made in order to keep the ball moving, and pick up necessary yards on the ground occasionally as well. That's his strength. I don't know that he will ever be a highlight reel type of QB.  The good thing is, with a high functioning ground game, which is what we are known for, a game manager is all you need a QB. You just need someone back there who can reliably pick-up a 3rd and long, on occasion, and keep the D honest. it's not flashy, but it's effective.

24 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Personally, I think he is a average/mediocre QB.  My standard for a good QB (or darn good) is a QB that can beat you with his arm.  Could he be a good QB?  Possibly, or even probably, but he never really had a chance to show us.  He did well at what he was asked to do, but I think he would have been better off in a program that runs an Air Raid.  That said, he was definitely our best option at the QB position when healthy.

I was hoping to see a more aggressive passing attack when it became obvious that Franklin was not going to start.  The coaching staff either lacked faith in his ability to run such an offense, or they lacked the ability to put one together for him to run.

Exactly. Seems to me that SW was fine but he really didn't give us a bunch of big plays to propel us past inexperienced receivers and average tackles.

Now if we have freshman and a walk-on receivers, your OL is either getting whipped or getting penalized like crazy, and if you have 90 yards to score, there are less risks in throwing one bomb and it being run in for a touchdown than the sum of 9 ten yard slants. Throwing 9 slants in a row looks good( phenomenal given the inexperienced receivers) but if there is one hiccup on third down, all of a sudden it's 3rd and 20 and the the drive is basically over. It's basically a chain that gets weaker the longer it goes on.

Hopefully people saw why Gus wanted Jeremy Johnson to win so badly. Because as a third sting QB, he threw the deepest bomb for us all year late against Oklahoma.

22 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You are either totally ignorant or a bammer fan and I suspect both. So if uat lose a game to ok by 14 it's because they didn't enjoy going but if AU loses their starting QB and lose by the same then it's because we are on the brink of destruction. I have no doubt you are an idiot. Had we beat uga and almost did, we would have been playing uat for a chance to go to the game . We did finish as the second best team in the conference. If anyone should be ashamed it is you . Learn to keep your mouth shut so others only think your are dumb rather than open it and prove it. WDE

Funny how the fall back defense is calling someone a bammer... 

If you look at our program the last 4 years under Gus, we are not heading forward... at best we are standing still.  You cannot compare our 16 point loss to uat's 14 point loss because the programs are both moving in different directions...  the joke is that you're trying to pump sunshine and make AU football look like we're moving forward... Here let me help you see the difference.... uat was holding two consecutive NC the prior two years and was 11-2 after losing to ok... our past two years was 8-5, 7-6 and our loss to ok put us at 8-5 for the year... can you see the difference?

Listen, you can keep believing whatever you want to believe... but at the moment, we are not anywhere near what uat is nor are we moving in that direction... maybe that's not all doom and gloom, but it sure as heck isn't sunshine and clear skies.  I personally don't care if we keep Gus or not.  I actually think he could make a very good head coach IF he can step away from the offense and let someone else run it.  Given his limited HC experience, I would suggest getting some very experienced coordinators to help guide him where he is deficient in knowledge... the problem I see is that he's unwilling to make that type of change and until he does, we'll be stuck in this flat line of progression...

Archived