Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I actually disagree with this bolded part. At no point ever is it acceptable for Auburn to have an OC that was so under-qualified as RL. It worked for a little while but it's just not sustainable to have success in SEC with someone that is trying to figure out how to get it done at a P5 school for the first time in their careers. I'll take ability over familiarity. If you have to sacrifice one for the other IMO you can gain familiarity quicker than you can sharpen your skills to be SEC caliber. JMO though.

I did not mean to imply that I agreed with it, just that it did make sense.  Since everyone expected that it would be Gus' running his offense, the OC was expected to just be the guy holding the clipboard while the mastermind did his work.  In that context, it makes sense to bring a guy that knows you and your system well enough to do the actual "coordinating" while you attend to everything else you must attend to, especially when being the freshly-hired head coach of a major program.  No one expected that anyone other than Gus would be handling the play calling or offensive gameplans.  Lashlee was not qualified to be a Power 5 offensive coordinator at that point in his career, but he was perfectly qualified for exactly what Gus was looking for when he came here.

I will also take ability over familiarity, but I am not a rookie head coach for a multi-million dollar football program with conference and national championship expectations.  I think Gus had been on the opposite side of OC disagreements with the HC enough that he just wanted his apprentice making his overall job easier when he got here.  Personally, I think Lashlee should have left for the job he has now in 2014.  He had fulfilled his role by that point, and Gus instead needed someone in that position that was not part of his echo chamber.  I think what Gus needs now is an OC with ability, perspective, and experience that Gus respects.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I did not mean to imply that I agreed with it, just that it did make sense.  Since everyone expected that it would be Gus' running his offense, the OC was expected to just be the guy holding the clipboard while the mastermind did his work.  In that context, it makes sense to bring a guy that knows you and your system well enough to do the actual "coordinating" while you attend to everything else you must attend to, especially when being the freshly-hired head coach of a major program.  No one expected that anyone other than Gus would be handling the play calling or offensive gameplans.  Lashlee was not qualified to be a Power 5 offensive coordinator at that point in his career, but he was perfectly qualified for exactly what Gus was looking for when he came here.

I will also take ability over familiarity, but I am not a rookie head coach for a multi-million dollar football program with conference and national championship expectations.  I think Gus had been on the opposite side of OC disagreements with the HC enough that he just wanted his apprentice making his overall job easier when he got here.  Personally, I think Lashlee should have left for the job he has now in 2014.  He had fulfilled his role by that point, and Gus instead needed someone in that position that was not part of his echo chamber.  I think what Gus needs now is an OC with ability, perspective, and experience that Gus respects.

Good points. Especially like the bold.

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

The cement was poured on 12/10/16. It cured yesterday.

?Blinded me?

Sorry

"She's tidied up and I can't find anything"

Archived