AU is well represented in the media.

GwillMac6

Does anyone have as many former players in the media as Auburn does? Lets see we have D Fish on the SEC Network for basketball coverage. Frank Thomas on fox for their MLB baseball playoff coverage. The most well known and powerful voice in sports in Charles Barkley for the NBA. Heath Evans is a rising star over on the NFL Network. He will become one of the main guys there very soon. Very talented and good at what he does. Cole Cubelic has done really well working his way up the espn and sec network ladder. Started really low and is finally starting to gain some traction. Any other high profile former Auburn players in the media I am missing? Takeo Spikes is doing something but not sure where.

Your point is well-taken, but these are all former athletes and, while they do have a voice on the air and can sway opinions, they don't really fall into the category of 'sports journalists' a la  Bill Simmons, Pat Forde, Michael Wilbon, Andy Staples,Bruce Feldman, or (ugh) Pete Thamel, etc.  Of course, in this day and age of blogs and the Twitterverse, that line is blurred.

5 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Your point is well-taken, but these are all former athletes and, while they do have a voice on the air and can sway opinions, they don't really fall into the category of 'sports journalists' a la  Bill Simmons, Pat Forde, Michael Wilbon, Andy Staples,Bruce Feldman, or (ugh) Pete Thamel, etc.  Of course, in this day and age of blogs and the Twitterverse, that line is blurred.

I did not call them sports journalists though. I said they were apart of the media and they are. Its impressive how deep our rotation of former athletes in the media is.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I did not call them sports journalists though. I said they were apart of the media and they are. Its impressive how deep our rotation of former athletes in the media is.

I enjoyed listening to Fishback on the SEC network the other night.  He's a sharp guy; very objective and professional.  Same thing with Cubelic.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It could bode well for us if the trend continues to higher former athletes/coaches instead of though who come up through the journalism ranks.

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

I enjoyed listening to Fishback on the SEC network the other night.  He's a sharp guy; very objective and professional.  Same thing with Cubelic.

cole is EXCEPTIONAL with breaking film down. He is going to one day get a plush job as one of the main guys on the sec network and espn. He is really impressive in his craft. Just does not have the big name YET so he had to start from the bottom floor at espn.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

It could bode well for us if the trend continues to higher former athletes/coaches instead of though who come up through the journalism ranks.

NAILED IT! OKC gets it baby.

6 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Fish is very good smart guy

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 1:23 PM, GwillMac6 said:

NAILED IT! OKC gets it baby.

Yep. "come to auburn, you'll have a sports career in the media after sports...just look at the auburn alum on tv right now. Not to mention the journalism school.."

Archived