US Strikes Airbases in Syria

autigeremt

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So, if removing troops was a mistake, is the proper action sending more troops in? 

Ah, one of the classic blunders

event_147080862.jpeg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I respect your opinion but I will go with the judgement of the President. He had more input/intelligence/advice in making his decision than anyone here. Note in the link the Russians were notified in advance of the attack.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/06/syria-missile-strikes-trump-says-action-in-vital-national-security-interest.html

Yeah, it's really easy to support the use of military force in the beginning.

It's the inevitable longer term results that Americans have a problem with.  Unfortunately, Americans apparently have a very short term memories.  We've been here before.  Recently.

13 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I respect your opinion but I will go with the judgement of the President. He had more input/intelligence/advice in making his decision than anyone here. Note in the link the Russians were notified in advance of the attack.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/06/syria-missile-strikes-trump-says-action-in-vital-national-security-interest.html

Are you really proud of Trump for doing what should be obvious to an idiot?

Well, on second thought, I suppose you have a point.  I am  a little surprised also. 

5 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Bravo! The President seemed sincerely touched by these crimes against humanity.

Yeah, so touched he opposes providing refuge to those same humans.

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Maybe Cruz would have been a better POTUS than I assumed.

In saying "We should never give weapons to people who hate us", he is touching on something that should have been obvious to all nations that emerged from World War II.  Our technology has created terrible weapons of war.  When unleashed, they can create devastation in a way history has never seen.  No one that possesses them has any business selling or giving them to a nation or people that lacks the development to build their own.  Much of the modern world's evil has been protected and sustained by advanced weapons that were sold to leaders or nations that should have never had them to begin with.

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I don't believe she was lying.  I believe she was foolish enough to trust the Russians.

4 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I don't believe she was lying.  I believe she was foolish enough to trust the Russians.

Which is understandable, as the Russians have no reason to want Syria to retain (or use) chemical weapons.

5 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Which is understandable, as the Russians have no reason to want Syria to retain (or use) chemical weapons.

Not sure about that.

So, those asking, "what's next", what do You think is the appropriate next step?  I'm not sure and am genuinely wondering what y'all think should be done.  

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So, those asking, "what's next", what do You think is the appropriate next step?  I'm not sure and am genuinely wondering what y'all think should be done.  

I have no idea.  But someone needs to support the proposition that chemical and nuclear weapons are off limits, so I support what was done.  Obama's not  backing up his "red line" statement was a huge mistake IMO.

But short of another attempt at nation-forming, I don't see how further intervention on our part could have a positive end.  Is there any faction we could help take power that wouldn't result in blow-back?  I doubt it.

But if you really wanted to be amoral, cold-blooded, and machivallian about it, we might take out Assad and then watch the Russians deal with the resulting problem of retaining their influence (and bases) in the aftermath.  

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Not sure about that.

Assad ordering the use of chemical weapons does nothing to further Russian goals.  It makes their role in defending Assad a more untenable position.  The previous balance was perfect for Russian interests in Syria, and Assad.  Our coalition was attacking ISIS, but not the Assad regime or Syrian military, and the Russians were attacking the rebels.  This was most likely to produce an eventual Assad regime victory, and it appeared we were willing to accept the continued rule of the devil we know, instead of whatever might emerge from the power vacuum.

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Well, that certainly showed them …

It was stated in advance that there was no intent to cause significant damage to the AP since the Russian planes also use it

War is hard.

Agence France-Presse (AFP) quoted a “key figure” in the Army of Islam, or Jaysh al-Islamas saying, “Hitting one airbase is not enough, there are 26 airbases that target civilians.” The AFP article just identified Jaysh al-Islam as a rebel group and didn’t point out that the organization seeks to replace the Assad regime with a government ruled by Sharia law.

MSNBC also reported that the rebels Ahrar al-Sham “welcome US intervention through surgical strikes that would deter regime capabilities to kill civilians.” The U.S. considers Ahrar al-Sham one of the most effective rebel groups in Syria, according to a report from Stanford University. The group also worked with ISIS until 2014, is sympathetic with Al-Qaeda, and seeks to create an Islamic state in Syria.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/07/radical-islamists-cheer-trump-administrations-missile-strike/#ixzz4dbhFnU6l

9 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

The Rock is not a documentary!

The real shocker in that movie was to find out that John Patrick Mason was actually the real James Bond ! 

11 hours ago, PUB78 said:

It is said that he was "born again". If so, then his mind and heart  have been changed.  He does seems somewhat of a different person than in the campaign.

When was it said?  By whom?

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Assad ordering the use of chemical weapons does nothing to further Russian goals.  It makes their role in defending Assad a more untenable position.  The previous balance was perfect for Russian interests in Syria, and Assad.  Our coalition was attacking ISIS, but not the Assad regime or Syrian military, and the Russians were attacking the rebels.  This was most likely to produce an eventual Assad regime victory, and it appeared we were willing to accept the continued rule of the devil we know, instead of whatever might emerge from the power vacuum.

While I have heard that theory and, understand the logic, there is some speculation that the Russians actually played a part in the attack.

Before the attack, Russia got advance warning. Syria got advance warning. Both of them pulled forces out of the area and Russia turned off missile defense so that the US could attack … concrete.

Was this anything but an $80 million fireworks show? You be the judge ...

How far in advance did the Russians know shots were on the way? The BBC reports Russian vehicles left the base a day before the attack. 

Also ...

Syrian military officials appeared to anticipate Thursday's night raid on Syria's Shayrat airbase, evacuating personnel and moving equipment ahead of the strike, according to an eyewitness to the strike.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/eyewitness-syrian-military-anticipated-us-raid/story?id=46641107

Oh Donald ...

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's like asking the casual observer who just watch a clown kick a beehive, what should we do now?

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

When was it said?  By whom?

By Jerry Falwell, Jr and James Dodson several months back. Before the election I think.

Archived