Best AU WR ever (besides Beasely)?

GwillMac6

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

How was the food?

It was great. The thing I remember the most is the view he had looking into Phoenix at night. Wish I had a set up like that

Tommy Trott must have been a damn Heisman-caliber practice player because he got so many snaps and so many balls thrown his way it was ridiculous

I think he had naked pics of either Tubs or Borges

On 6/16/2017 at 11:35 AM, McLoofus said:

Sammie was the most athletic Auburn WR I've seen.

Robert Baker was the most athletic WR in AU history. Brutha Oliver said he was the best DB on the team.

On 6/16/2017 at 4:37 PM, corchjay said:

In my lifetime either Frank Sanders or Ronney Daniels.  Ronney was very overlooked for the little things he did on the field and helped that 2000 team incredibly. Granted he only played one season for Auburn

Daniels had 1068 yards & 9 TDs in 1999.

Just 378 yards & 3 TDs in 2000.

So two seasons.

On 6/21/2017 at 3:11 AM, Beaker said:

Wright could outrun sunshine I believe. 

I'd love to hop in my DeLorean, stop off in 2000, pick up Tim Carter and take him back to 1989 to see that race.

Wright would prolly win the 40 but I think Carter would take the 100.

On 6/21/2017 at 1:07 PM, Tiger said:

Oh yeah. I'm sure he was tried early and often.

I remember Dick Smalz  and Terry Beasley literally destroying  Tennessee  in the 1971 game. TN was giving all their attention to Beasley so  Smalz was open when Beasley wasn't. Dick was a great receiver in his own right, just so happened so was Beasley.

Dick Smalz and I used to battle it out it out on Pong, the original video game in a bar in Eastwood Mall in Bham. We were pretty even on the game but I would have to say he had the slight edge overall. We used to always draw a crowd, I do remember that. I hope he is still around, great guy.

24 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

I remember Dick Smalz  and Terry Beasley literally destroying  Tennessee  in the 1971 game. TN was giving all their attention to Beasley so  Smalz was open when Beasley wasn't. Dick was a great receiver in his own right, just so happened so was Beasley.

Dick Smalz and I used to battle it out it out on Pong, the original video game in a bar in Eastwood Mall in Bham. We were pretty even on the game but I would have to say he had the slight edge overall. We used to always draw a crowd, I do remember that. I hope he is still around, great guy.

Great post thank you for sharing that!

Frank Sanders....just clutch. I honestly can't recall a single drop, possibly due to the fact 1993 was sans TV.

10 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

Good story slammer.....He is still around he does have bad knees but overall doing well

6 hours ago, doug3020 said:

Frank Sanders....just clutch. I honestly can't recall a single drop, possibly due to the fact 1993 was sans TV.

When he dropped the easy 3rd & 10 pass against FL in 94 on the game-winning drive, I thought we were toast. 

Then the most clutch hands I've ever seen kept the drive alive on 4th & 10. 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Good story slammer.....He is still around he does have bad knees but overall doing well

His name is Dick Smalz and he has bad knees....Life is doing him no favors.

11 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Golf, where does Dick Smalz live these days? I am glad he is still around. I can relate to bad knees, mine look like a Chicago railroad yard.

10 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

Golf, where does Dick Smalz live these days? I am glad he is still around. I can relate to bad knees, mine look like a Chicago railroad yard.

B'ham I believe

I would have to say Frank Sanders.  He meant so much to those 93 and 94 teams.  

Lawyer Tillman is a close 2nd.  Everyone remembers the reverse against Bama in 86, but how many remember the big deep ball he caught against Bama in 87 on the only touchdown drive of the game (AU won 10-0) and the big deep ball he caught against Bama in 88 on the only touchdown drive of the game (AU won 15-10)?

I do have to say that I grew up watching some really solid, but not so heralded AU receivers:  Freddy Weygand, Greg Taylor, Alexander Wright, Herbert Casey, Shane Wasden, etc.  I will always remember in the first AU game I ever attended (vs. Tennessee in 1988) that Ace Wright caught a crossing route from Slack and went like 70 with it for a TD.  Tigers won 38-6.  Great memories!

I can't imagine too many wr's that played here that was more overall athletic than Courtney Taylor

Fun reading this thread, guys.  One name I may have seen once herein was Willie Gosha.  Caught 58 passes in '95 to tie Frank Sanders ('94) for most catches in a season.  (Stats as of 2007.)  The top 5 in career catches as of 2007 were  1.  C. Taylor (153)  2.  Bailey (150)  3.  Beasley (141)  4.  Goodson (136)  5.  Sanders (121).    The yards per catch leader was Weygand ( 19.66 on 99 catches).  Tillman was a close second at 19.44.  All Auburn heroes and worthy of a salute.

I saw my first game in Cliff Hare in 1954, and I think y'all have done a great job on this thread.  I wish we had had concussion protocol back in the Beasley era.

One of my favorite WR moments occurred in the opening game of 1987 against Texas.  Some Texas cornerback had stated that he didn't think Auburn had any receivers that were all that fast.  With Auburn leading 24-3 in the 4th and at the Texas 49, Burger hit Alexander Wright on a slant over the middle, and Ace re-educated the UT secondary as to who was fast and who was not.  I remain convinced that Dye called that play because of the cornerback's comment.  

Archived