Jarrett Stidham to be named Auburn's Starting QB

RunInRed

7 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

That is my opinion.  I just think the less we have to ise MW this year the better. Kid is good like real good a md the qb we want and look good for atm wants to play early. I am not saying JF scared of competition. He is a qb that only comes around so often. Also Also JS is a sophomore but a 1st year player at AU I would consider him at freshman in recruits eyes. He played some at a freshman at Baylor but this is a new system and he is our starter showing we will start the best player and the position and tend not afraid to start an incoming recruit at qb. 

Those are all good points. 

Like most decisions to redshirt or not to redshirt, I'm sure that it will completely depend on the situation at the time - our record, injuries, where we are in our schedule, etc. I've said that I think we should burn it early, but I don't really know enough about where MW is right now to say that. I don't know enough about where Sean is, either. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jarrett was on midnight Sportscenter and displayed why I love that he's the face of this team. Pretty much said what he already said in his press conference and talked about how much he loves auburn and his work ethic but he's so personable and humble man. We got the guy that other teams usually get that is talked about nationally finally!

18 hours ago, AU-24 said:
On 8/14/2017 at 6:37 PM, RunInRed said:

Not bad Jarrett! Just so everyone knows how he compares:

Jeremy Johnson's forty time was 4.75 and 31.5 vertical  (NFL Pro Day Results)

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=127419&draftyear=2017&genpos=QB

Other forty times:

Tre Mason 4.5
Cameron Artis-Payne 4.53
Jadeveon Clowney 4.53
Cam Newton 4.59

But doesn't a 4.6 in college coach speak usually translate to a 4.7 something when the NFL times them?

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

Did someone need me? ("Man crush" alert) still hard for me to write. 

I literally just LOL at work. 

Embrace the crush!!!

17 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Those are all good points. 

Like most decisions to redshirt or not to redshirt, I'm sure that it will completely depend on the situation at the time - our record, injuries, where we are in our schedule, etc. I've said that I think we should burn it early, but I don't really know enough about where MW is right now to say that. I don't know enough about where Sean is, either. 

Yep we will definitely not risk wins and losses over a recruit. MW is the 2nd best qb at practice and I emphasize at practice. He has never played in a college game environment so who knows how he will react. He Def seems to have that it factor killer mentality that it takes to be a winner in this league. SW has shown he can make plays in games.

Just now, austudnt23 said:

Yep we will definitely not risk wins and losses over a recruit. MW is the 2nd best qb at practice and I emphasize at practice. He has never played in a college game environment so who knows how he will react. He Def seems to have that it factor killer mentality that it takes to be a winner in this league. SW has shown he can make plays in games.

So, assuming that Stidham stays healthy and returns in 2018, Malik gets his RS after this season, and as much game experience as we can get him in 2018. 

JS is a stud and we are ready for a big year.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

So, assuming that Stidham stays healthy and returns in 2018, Malik gets his RS after this season, and as much game experience as we can get him in 2018. 

MW will redshirt this year this is the coaches plan. Now that can change with injuries.  

Just now, austudnt23 said:

JS is a stud and we are ready for a big year.

MW will redshirt this year this is the coaches plan. Now that can change with injuries.  

Makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I would make the assumption the other way: JS stays healthy, AU has great year, JS leaves for NFL (which I think is very possible if JS has a great year). Malik IMO needs to get as many as reps as he can this year. It seems so few guys stay the full 4 years if they are having good careers, so use them while you can.

I'm beginning to believe again. I've seen JS and I believe he is the real deal. I don't believe we're in for another JJ repeat. Unlike JJ, JS has played against more P5 competition including the likes of Oklahoma where he performed well enough to win had Baylor's defense showed up. I firmly believe the Heisman talk is real. We may have TWO Heisman candidates in our backfield in Pettway and JS. We are stacked at receiver with a highly rated receiving corp. Our O'line is going to be a monster. I think we're in for a great season this year now that we have the added dimension of the deep shot back.

15 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I would make the assumption the other way: JS stays healthy, AU has great year, JS leaves for NFL (which I think is very possible if JS has a great year). Malik IMO needs to get as many as reps as he can this year. It seems so few guys stay the full 4 years if they are having good careers, so use them while you can.

Hard to say either way. There are some other good quarterbacks in next year's draft class, but I don't know that there would be much of a difference the following year. If he has a great year, I would imagine that he'll be in consideration for the top 3-4 quarterbacks taken regardless of draft class. If we win a national championship, and he's in that Top 3 I would think he's gone. 

22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Hard to say either way. There are some other good quarterbacks in next year's draft class, but I don't know that there would be much of a difference the following year. If he has a great year, I would imagine that he'll be in consideration for the top 3-4 quarterbacks taken regardless of draft class. If we win a national championship, and he's in that Top 3 I would think he's gone. 

3 is a good number. You'd have to go back to '99 to find more than 4 QBs drafted in the first round. Usually it's 2 or 3, sometimes only 1. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

3 is a good number. You'd have to go back to '99 to find more than 4 QBs drafted in the first round. Usually it's 2 or 3, sometimes only 1. 

The way I see it - you've got Darnold, Rosen, and Allen from Wyoming. If they all have good seasons, then throw Stidham in there somewhere. If he has a big season, I think you'll see Stidham graded above guys like Rudolph, Fitzgerald, Lamar Jackson, Mayfield... 

7 hours ago, Trublu4AU said:

I'm beginning to believe again. I've seen JS and I believe he is the real deal. I don't believe we're in for another JJ repeat. Unlike JJ, JS has played against more P5 competition including the likes of Oklahoma where he performed well enough to win had Baylor's defense showed up. I firmly believe the Heisman talk is real. We may have TWO Heisman candidates in our backfield in Pettway and JS. We are stacked at receiver with a highly rated receiving corp. Our O'line is going to be a monster. I think we're in for a great season this year now that we have the added dimension of the deep shot back.

Funny, on one of Clemson's "flagstation" sports radio shows today, they were suggesting he was being overhyped because, coming from the big 12,  he just hasn't seen big league defenses like Clemson and Alabama can bring.

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Funny, on one of Clemson's "flagstation" sports radio shows today, they were suggesting he was being overhyped because, coming from the big 12,  he just hasn't seen big league defenses like Clemson and Alabama can bring.

That's cool. They're looking at probably playing 2 QBs in their opener. Guess if you don't have one you don't have none...?

15 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Actually its true big 12 has no defense at all but JS is the real deal doesn't matter what defense he's playing against

35 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually its true big 12 has no defense at all but JS is the real deal doesn't matter what defense he's playing against

I always think back to Chris Johnson in a preseason NFL game as a rookie. Dude did stuff I'd never seen before. Everyone said "It was just a preseason game."

Point being, sometimes you just have to trust your eyes.

What! He's the starter?! I thought it would be Kodi Burns returning to action! I bet there's a JuCo kid sitting on the bench somewhere waiting to throw up some stats in one quarter!

I kid...I kid...

16 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

Against my judgment, I turned Finebaum on today.  Apparently, Stidham is going to be on the show today, if anyone is interested.  WDE

JS shouldn't have to go through that...

Archived