Pettway vs. Clemson

StuntMan06

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he struggles.  Clemson has one of the best D-lines in the country and I am a little concerned with how we look on the OL against GA Southern.  We can fix it but I don't know if we can fix it in a week.  If JS can't loosen the defense up with the pass then it is going to be a long miserable night.

It will be on the shoulders of our OL. We knew through the off season the question was, do they gel or not.

The test comes Saturday.

If we continue to run up the middle on first down 85% of the time then any RB is gonna struggle.  If we mix it up with some first down passes and loosen the defense then he can have a big night. 

22 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I think he struggles.  Clemson has one of the best D-lines in the country and I am a little concerned with how we look on the OL against GA Southern.  We can fix it but I don't know if we can fix it in a week.  If JS can't loosen the defense up with the pass then it is going to be a long miserable night.

The OL struggles last week were largely pass blocking.  Run blocking was pretty stellar most of the night.

31 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Nah. They gave up 119 yards rushing to Kent state with zero sacks and no TFL. I think he'll have a big game and partly because JS will keep them off balance 

If we are balanced, less predictable (throw some on first down maybe?), and execute like our talent is capable. KP can run for 150+ and we can leave with the biggest road win we've had in some time. If not, against that DL......could be a long night.

Depends on the OL.  Get him a hole and he gets some yards.  Don't and he don't.  And I think the pass blocking will be just as critical as the run blocking.    We can't be one dimensional against their great defensive front.  It's going to take balance to beat them.  

I agree with what pretty much everyone on this thread has said. 

Clemson DL could be the best we face all year and that includes the stellar DLs of LSU, uga, and bama.  

Its gonna take a very balanced and effective offense to keep them from keying on KP.  If so, he could have a 120+ type game.  I'm gonna say he rushes for right around 100.  KMart, Stove, MM, and Stidham all get carries as well. 

I think KP will start slow but end up with about 115 with about another 100 spread around the rest of the backs/receivers. I'm hoping the passing game balances that with 200 yards. Wishful thinking all around but we do that, we win!

Copy and pasted something I said earlier in a different thread:

Clemson had 5 TFL against a Kent State OL that blocked for a team that ran the ball 44 times (11.3%). Also 0 sacks on the 5 passes.

Auburn had 12 TFL against a GSU OL that blocked for a triple-option team that ran the ball 47 times (25.5%). Also 5 sacks on 9 passes.

This is all just from ESPN's official box scores. I'm sure some of the TFL and sacks have overlap, but both teams are reported in the same way.

Watching the Clemson game, I noticed how Kent St was getting nowhere but their OL never seemed to get blown off the line and let Clemson in the backfield. Kent St got past the LOS all but 5 times.

Clemson DL is not as big of a brick wall against the run as they will be in pass rush. KP is one of the hardest backs in the NCAA to stop. He averaged about 5.8 ypc last year. If he gets close to 30 carries then he will go for 150+ but I doubt we will need to run him that much. If he hits 100 yards I think we win.

Pettway is the kind of back that can make a big difference in a game like this by turning 3 yard gains into 5 yard gains, etc. The flip side of that for a big back though, is that penetration by the DL takes away their strength (more so than a smaller, quicker back). If we keep Clemson at the LOS or beyond, Pettway should roll.

If he rushes for less than 150 we have very little chance. Until we prove we can throw, AU wins by pounding the ball and playing defense. With KJ out, he will have to carry the load. 

3 hours ago, StuntMan06 said:

Does he have a big game and pound it for 150+ yards or does he struggle after such a long time between games? Or is it somewhere in between? What are your thoughts?

Struggles because Clemson has the best DL in the country. Will have nothing to do with long time between games.

Not so sure he struggles, after watching CU against KSU and the way they made it easy on CU (only 5 passes) and they still got over 100 yards. I think Pettway has a good day, not sure if they'll win, but I think he has a good day.

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

They gave up 119 yards rushing to Kent state

That's because KSU ran it 44 times. They only had 2.7 yards per rush.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Let me answer your question with a question... when he was the main back in a game last year, and wasn't hurt, did anyone slow him down?

LSU 17 carries for 61 yards. 3.6 average.

Everybody myself included have been giving the Clemson D-Line a lot of credit for how good they are. But after reading other posts and then looking at the stats either they were not playing not playing up to their talent level because of the team they were playing, or Kent State has a solid O-line, or they are not as good as we all expected. I don't know.  

I think Pettyway's power along with our road graders up front will allow us to have a solid run game. I just hope we mix it up enough to keep Clemson honest.

Another thing to be considered here is the thought spreading that possibly Bradon being moved to RT for this game. If that happens does Dexter Lawrence eat the replacement OG up?

Archived